Are new breeders encouraged?

DezDez
edited July 2017 in General
After having been on here for a while it's obvious that there are alot more breeders available than what is listed on other sites. This is awesome, but I'm curious if new breeders are welcomed amongst the current tenured breeder. The reason being is I'd like to breed either shikoku, Doberman, or Dalmatian sometime in the future. I want to do it right without stepping on anyone's toes.

Comments

• Generally, yes. The Nihon Ken desperately need people who are going to work with the breeds to help preserve them.
  • New responsible breeders are always encouraged, and especially for Nihon Ken I'd urge you to speak to as many responsible breeders as you can. They want what's best for the breeds and have dedicated an enormous amount of time, energy and money to bettering the breed to the best of their ability, so they are an incredibly valuable resource for information!
    All nihon ken (some would say other than Shibas) desperately need more breeders, for conservation purposes alone.

If you can benefit the breed and have the money and time, I don't think you'd find yourself stepping on toes very often.

Just a side note, you seem to have breeds that you are interested in that are pretty different from eachother and may not go well together. That's just something to consider as you're getting closer to being able to become a breeder. As someone who hopes to help preserve Shikoku in the future as well, I hope you find that shikoku are worth your time ;)
  • Oh yes! New breeders are MOST CERTAINLY encouraged. I'm one of those "new breeders." I'm learning and I do have a mentor. Find someone who will help you, since most are willing. It's a very friendly crowd here.
  • Oh yes! New breeders are MOST CERTAINLY encouraged. I'm one of those "new breeders." I'm learning and I do have a mentor. Find someone who will help you, since most are willing. It's a very friendly crowd here.
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm interested in breeding a few years down the line (specifically JA or Kai) as well. How do you go about finding a mentor?
  • It's been my mission for a long time to support and encourage new Kai breeders.
  • So long as the breeder is breeding responsibly and ethically with the betterment of the breed in mind, then I'd say the NK community is very open to new breeders. Especially the medium NK breeds whose populations are so low right now.
  • edited July 2017
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm interested in breeding a few years down the line (specifically JA or Kai) as well. How do you go about finding a mentor?
    @koujichan - Reach out to a breeder you respect and ask for their guidance in getting started in breeding.

• It's good to hear that it's encouraged. I imagine it takes alot of preparation so I'll be doing my research on all the fun paperwork I'll need.
  • edited July 2017
    It's supported but I also think it's essential that new breeders form a healthy relationship with and be mentored/supported by one of the existing breeders.

It's old-school respect to the people that came before you.

Jesse