Nihon Ken on Dogumentary TV

edited May 2017 in General

Comments

• Do you have bananas?
  • Yes, he has no bananas.
  • I enjoyed the video very much and think its great you are educating people about these breeds, but what is with all the snarky comments in the YouTube comments section?
  • I am bananas.
  • My only complaint is Youtube deciding that every commercial break has to begin in the middle of one of your sentences lol.
  • Brad got some haters because he became the Pokemon Trainer everyone wanted to be growing up and caught all the rare puppers lol

They did like 8 videos with Brad if you guys didn't check out the other ones also. It's all good stuff!
  • Great video! Well explained :) nice to see some NK educational content!
  • You can put up an opinion online without attracting the trolls and haters. Best to stick to posting video of kittens and puppies. @swwahokkaido
  • Maybe I'm stupid, or sheltered, but the level of hate and trolling that came about from these videos took me off guard.

I figured there would be a few, but the number of them and the level of negativity was surprising to me. Like people saying they "hate me" ... Like "hate," really?

I've also been threatened a few times with being reported to the humane society and local animal control.

So, the one thing I've learned from this, is to never do this again. ;)
  • @BradA1878

You got a lot of good exposure though for the NK and for the different preservation efforts you're working on.

Despite the negativity I'm sure it had a bigger positive impact on people and the NK than anything else.

Keep doing your thing man! Don't let it mess with ya!
  • Maybe I missed it but you didn't say anything controversial or anything I strongly disagreed with (or disagreed that you should say on YouTube).

I could've just drank too much of your koolaid though. I mean, I have known you and a been a part of this forum for a decade.
  • It's whole lot easier to criticize what some else says on camera than be the person who is actually doing the talking. It's not the critic who counts and for what it's worth I thought you did a great job Brad.

While any publicity is a double edged sword, it is very much what the Nihon-Ken need and I believe you did do a service to the breeds.

As for the crazies, I also didn't see or hear anything too controversial. What in the world are they going to report you to the humane society about? The video literally just showed dogs standing around on leases, you monster! I probably would have left out the Kishu breeder comment and left it at that the Kishus in the states at the time only had one breeder and they only represented a very narrow type when compared to the overall Kishu population in Japan, though I believe the majority of this forum, including myself, completely agrees with what you said. I only mean this as constructive criticism, again it is easier to nit-pick after the fact.

Overall good job and thanks for taking one for the team!
  • I was just surprised by the snarky trolling comments. I am sure it was probably immature people that have nothing better to do. Its stupid stuff like those comments for example that make me not want to be around any type of social media. Hell, I do not even have a Facebook account. All these people hiding behind their computers and think they can say whatever they want with no regard to any sort of decency. Ok I'll stop ranting. Anyways, good job Brad!
  • Hahaha welcome to the world of youtube comments. Probably all written by immature kids who don't care what they post from behind a screen - I would just ignore or get a good laugh. Aside from that looks like the video received positive feedback!
  • It really makes me sad that people think it's okay to post such nasty and uneducated comments just for upvotes and to make themselves feel important.

People wonder why the dog world - and in particular the rarer breed communities - tend to close themselves off and not discuss breeding practices, health testing and ethics openly!

I loved the video and it provides a good insight into breed preservation to those people who aren't resident in the USA.
  • edited June 2017
    You did great, imo! TBH if I critique the video at all I'd say the production team could've done a bit better (shots of the dogs off leash/being themselves... cutting out bits and pieces of audio that aren't necessary). But nah, it was very informative. And it highlighted the preservation efforts in NA for the Japanese breeds, which is probably one of the most important things to consider when looking to get one (for those of us who don't breed, I think we all try to make our dogs good role models for anyone else interested in them).

So for the immature commentary on the video, just ignore. People like to post crap things just because they can. Even I get rude anonymous messages on my social media once in a while, but it's just jealous people who get off on being nasty. So don't take it to heart, just let it roll off and ignore.

The dogs all look gorgeous and BIG. I wanna say the camera adds ten pounds but idk rofl.
  • I appreciate all the support. :)

The NK video wasn't the video that got people threatening me, it's all the videos one after another, that make me look like a crazy dog hoarder, that seemed to make the "activists" upset and want to report me. Then also my mention of some of my dogs being from dog fighting origins.

@Kaja - It's stress and beer that adds 10 (more like 20) pounds, not the camera. lol

• Ooh, you have more videos?! I'm going to go watch them :)

I don't think Kaja was talking about you Brad... the Shikoku in particular looked very fluffy :) But I'm used to looking at my boy who is currently completely out of coat and the vet just told me that he is underweight, 3/9, and that I need to get him above 50lbs. Ajax has not been complaining about the new feeding regime.
  • LOL yes I'm so sorry I totally meant the dogs. HAHA sorry Brad! They all looked very big, but like Ajax I think I'm used to my shikoku being smaller.... Kaja has always been very lithe ;P

• @Ajax @Kaja - LOL! I guess that shows my insecurities, huh?

Most of the Kai shown in the video are very small, so I guess it was the angle.

Loa (the Shikoku) is an old lady, she's 10 years old. She's allowed to be a little "fluffy." Plus, she follows my daughter around 27/7 eating anything she leaves behind, which is a lot.