Kirin the Hokkaido (photo spam) *Updated 30th July 2017*

2»

Comments

• SixSix
    edited May 2017
    Thank you all for your helpful explanations :) that makes sense and is also fascinating. I did do some reading a couple of years ago on colour genetics but I have to say I got a little confused!

Completely unrelated but it makes me wonder if the recessive red is also in the Northern Inuits as my boy is 'white' but also has red tinging to his ears and some of the white NIs have the same reddish tinge on the back hairs as Kirin does.

Edited to add: She did have a black nose originally (or very dark brown) you can see how it changes in the photos as she's grown.
  • Yep! That is usually what happens in recessive red dogs. They all develop black pigment (or, whatever their eumelanin is expressed as) but it fades out. Fionna's faded out around 9 weeks. Really early. :(

It is likely the same way white is inherited in your NI, too! :)
  • Kirin is now 11 months old, and despite having a moult back in February/March she's just blown her coat again in its entirety! She looks so naked and scruffy! She also had what was either the beginning of a hot spot or a graze from playing with the others which is just clearing up now.

She's doing really well with her travelling and has done quite a few different shows now where she gets plenty of attention and does meet-and-greets with the public. Sadly my older white NI, Kiba, who was her travelling companion for her first couple of journeys is currently going through chemotherapy and is not able to attend events for now so it's just been me and Kirin on the road. She's quite a princess and doesn't like sitting on the floor on the train, she hops right up on the seat which occasionally gets us dirty looks from other passengers lol, but mostly people just want to pet her and say hello.

Here are some photos from today, out in the secure field we rent for a couple hours every month.

• Great pictures. they all look like they're having such fun time. :)