Kiyomi has joined our family!: Photo updates 8/14/14

2»

Comments

• Oh my gosh, these are the cutest photos ever!
    Her colour is gorgeous!
  • edited November 2014
    Yea, she's so pretty! :) is she bigger than kuma yet? She looks like she's getting close in sir size based on the last photo

Edit: curses. Auto complete.
  • I know this post is older...but I'm hoping your still around to answer :). Adorable pics by the way! How big was the soft crate in the first pic? What is Kiyomi's size in relation to Kim's now?
  • So cute! Found their insta too ;) , followed!

Currently on Katja's waiting list and would love if you could comment on your experience working with her. I plan on flying up to visit Akashima this year and I'm super excited!!!
  • Hi @Shibafox, Have not been here for a long time. I got the soft crate from Amazon. Just do a search for "Sherpa-Delta-Carrier-Medium-Black" and it'll pop up. Pretty inexpensive and it was good for a few months. It just fit under the seat on the plane.

Not sure of Kimi's size, but Kiyomi is about 22" at the withers and is somewhere around 35+ lbs. Haven't weighed her in a while, so that's a guess.
  • @justin, Congratulations! Katja was very easy to communicate with, both via phone and email. I was on her waiting list for about 1.5yrs. I was waiting for a female and there were two litters which were all males so the wait was longer. We got constant updates from Katja and Mac, email before the litter was born and both video & photos after. The litter Kiyomi was from, was with Mac Guillet in Chilliwack for the first 7 weeks as Kimi is Mac's girl.

My family & I went to visit the litter @ 4 wks in Chilliwack and picked up Kiyomi at Katja's in Courtenay @ 8 wks. Both Katja and Mac are great people and really care for their packs so you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

It was well worth going to see the litter at Mac's and visiting with Katja, We got to meet and play with the litter and all of the Shikoku, both Mac's and Katja's. Mac was about 1.5 hrs drive east of Vancouver then. I'd recommend staying on Vancouver island if you're going to visit Katja as she is a good 2.5 hour drive from Victoria. If you're staying in Vancouver you need to consider the ferry ride as well. It's all beautiful country so bring your camera/camcorder.
  • edited April 2017
    @roninshiba Thank you so much for the share! I was afraid you might not respond cause it's been awhile.

So when the time was coming up and the mom was pregnant, you were able to discuss your preferences with Katja (color, sex, temperament/personality)? I'm currently on the waiting list but I KNOW that I won't have the time to devote to training/socializing the pup until late 2018, and I've discussed this with Katja. Of course I would prefer waiting longer for my ideal pup but was also wondering if Katja is ok with that as well?

Thanks

:)
  • edited April 2017
    Hi @justin. I had specified that I wanted a female, because I already had male Shiba who was then 5 yrs old. It was a pretty easy choice because I was first on the list for the litter and was leaning toward a black sesame. Kiyomi was the only female black sesame, but when we went to visit, I was positive she was the one. Temperament wise, she was one of the most active and dominant of the litter, which was fine by me. She's feisty and it's a lot of fun.

Mac had the litter for the first 7 wks and he and his family did such a great job of exposing them to all sorts of things, people, crates, indoors, water, noise etc. Kiyomi had no issues with the soft crate when we picked her up, no issues with her crate at home, and it barely took 2 wks to house train her. Training is important, but you can do lots of things at home for short periods of time multiple times a day and on walks.

Socializing is a big deal, especially for Shikoku. They will tend to get in other dogs faces and can easily irritate other dogs, because they are very forward. They need to learn where other dogs boundaries are and they will learn thru interaction with other dogs. You need to find the time to socialize your pup, or you may wind up with a Shikoku who doesn't tolerate other dogs well or at all. I've met one Shikoku like this a few weeks back. Kiyomi wanted to meet him, but we had to stay back, because he was having none of it.

I haven't been reading this forum for a while, but based on comments in the Shikoku FB page it's not uncommon for Shikoku to have issues with other dogs. Kiyomi has issues with small yappy dogs and timid dogs. I spent a lot of time with her at dog parks, when she was younger. I gave up on the dog parks as she got older, because I would invariably have to separate her from another dog. There were lots of dogs she got along with, but a few she would always have issues with. I have to be vigilant to her behavior when introducing her to other dogs.

I can't speak for Katja, but if you can wait 'till late 2018, it'll be better for you and the pup. Last thing you want is an unruly Shikoku that either won't behave and/or doesn't get along with other dogs...
  • @roninshiba I'll message you so as to not take away from the main purpose of this thread!