Kaiju's Hips...

2»

Comments

• I haven't been able to get a good video yet. I took him to the woods today for a good 2+ hour romp and he was moving great. He's out for the night now. When the lake reopens in the spring I'm hoping he'll swim with all four legs. BTW do you sill have any video of Ahi's limp. I was looking in old threads, but the video links were dead.
  • This may sound crazy, but our shiba was showing hind end weakness for a year after a slight injury. We tried everything and got multiple vet opinions, but everything looked great and they couldn't tell what had been injured and why it the symptoms kept coming back. In desperation, we went to a homeopathic vet thinking that maybe we should try every approach for our little guy. She started him on an acupuncture therapy and some chiropractic work. Now, he's been great and the hind end weakness has disappeared. I never believed in acupuncture until Kuma tried it, but there's no denying it strengthened his hind end back up to where it should be after multiple vets had no idea why he was having problems.
  • edited April 2017
    I'm all for trying every option but I have trouble seeing anyone who advertises as a "homeopathic" vet as anything but a snake-oil salesman let alone trusting them with my animal.

True homeopathy is literally selling you water. You end up dealing with dilutions so extreme it is statically unlikely that even one molecule of the "active ingredient" is in the final product.

Sorry for the rant, since the placebo effect does not work in animals I find applying this to animal medicine as morally reprehensible. (I've read one study in which they did, but those dogs where given actual medicine before switching to a placebo and was designed to help the dogs form the association with eating a pill and then feeling better, not much different from classical conditioning really.)

I'm glad that it was successful for Kuma. :) And for the record, acupuncture, chiropractic work, herbal remedies, etc. are not homeopathy. While I'm highly skeptical of the mechanics of chi in acupuncture and the "straight philosophy" of chiropractors, I will concede that they are at least doing something physical to the body and may be working by some mechanism that isn't understood.

One of my co-workers is a big fan of acupuncture, but she warned me that there is a big difference between those who are actually skilled at the practice and those who are just sticking pins into points defined in a book. I don't think I know enough to judge a good acupuncturist from a bad for either me or my pet.