2017 Nihonken Invitational/JACA Specialty Show

The third NK Invitational hosted by JACA is coming up! Didn't see this posted here yet, so here we go.

I heard from LeAnna that she may be persuaded to extend pre-registration until Tuesday!

Saturday, February 11 at 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM PST
Arthur Lee Johnson Memorial Park

1200 W 170th St, Gardena, California 90247

From facebook [link]
Two shows in one day! The JACA Specialty Show will feature Japanese Akitas and the Nihonken Invitational will feature a variety of Japanese dog breeds as well as American Akitas and Jindo.

Spectators welcome. No admission price, free parking. No flexi-leads allowed on the showgrounds.
And from UKC events [link]-
CALIFORNIA
JAPANESE AKITA CLUB OF AMERICA
GARDENA (O) CONF ALT (Limited Breeds) JS
Feb 11
; S1 Kevin Izard-Carroll JS AK HOK JAK JIN KAI KISU SHIBA SHIK Entries 7:30-8:30 AM Show 9 am NLC: Novice Puppy, Stud Dog, Brood Bitch, Veteran
Feb 11; S2 Lynn Martin JS AK HOK JAK JIN KAI KISU SHIBA SHIK Entries 7:30-8:30 AM Show 10 am NLC: Novice Puppy, Stud Dog, Brood Bitch, Veteran
DOS $30; JS & NLC $20; PE $20; Weekend PE Special $35 same dog both shows received by February 4, 2017
Arthur Lee Johnson Park, 1200 W 170th, 90247 (310) 217-9563; West 91 Freeway, which becomes Artesia Blvd. Turn right onto S Normandie Ave. Turn right onto W 170th. Destination on right side. www.akita-inu.com
See the link for contact info.

Comments

• Lookin got forward to it!
  • I will be in San Diego with 3 Kishu and 1 Shikoku on Wednesday night! I plan on heading back up to LA for the show on Saturday morning! All the Kishu coming with me are showing. TK will just be there for our cheer-leading team.
  • I'm not going to lie. Getting excited for this as it's always fun! I get better at not over-packing every year :P *knock on wood*

Jesse
  • My mom is show secretary so she receives all of the entries.... and says this is going to be our biggest show yet!
  • Let's hear some Invitational stories! Was the turnout good? What breeds? Did the weather hold?
  • It was fantastic, and huge!
  • It was big, but not necessarily diverse. There were a LOT of JAs understandably, and a good turn out of Shikoku (15 total with 5 shown), but there were only Crispy's Kishu, a handful of Shiba, my single Kai, and no Hokkaido or Jindo. I don't remember seeing any AAs either, but that could be my mistake.

It had rained the previous day and a little that morning, so the field was damp but not terrible. It was a bit chilly but not unpleasant, and the lighting was nice and overcast.

These shows are always fun, but this was the first to have 2 shows simultaneously in 2 rings which was confusing and hectic at times. There was no costume contest or raffle this year.

I have some pictures which I can post later, but I didn't document every entry by any means.
  • I did miss Ann and her Jindo! Though the Shikoku turnout was nice this year... Being the only person in the breed is a bummer. And next year, I will not be as brave as I was this time... so I will go back down to only bringing 2 dogs.
  • The solution to being the only person with your breed is to network with and convince others in your breed to come. You know more of your own breed than JACA members do after all, and probably have a better chance of reaching out to them.
  • 15 Shikoku with 5 shown- this is kinda what it was like for Kai at NIPPO Classic last year. We had lots of (I can think of 8 off the top of my head without thinking very hard) Kai show up to visit and hang out, but only Matsu showed for adult Kai and there were 3 or 4 Kai youngsters that showed in the puppy class. What keeps people from trying showing? There was even an altered class at the Invitational. I'd show Juno in an altered class if I could. UKC is not a show I have tried yet though.
  • @PoetikDragon - No one is currently able or willing, beside myself. ;)

@WrylyBrindle - TK was one of those 15. I know I couldn't show him because of his teeth and his disposition... I think a couple of Shikoku owners might have been worried about the same thing (disposition...)
  • @WrylyBrindle,
    It's the fear of not knowing what to do. Every year we get a few more converts. Chaoji was super focused on his owner and every time Corina would try to handle him he'd actively look for where his owner was (at the sidelines). So on the next go-round, she suggested he run his dog in the ring and lo' and behold, he wins Best of Breed in both rings.

Same thing for another new owner who was kind of unsure what to do and nervous in the first group (Kenji's mom). But we coached her and by the 2nd ring, she had him moving so well she took Best of Breed Altered.

Nearly every spectating owner I talked to admitted that it's something you can do. I mean seriously it's hard not to have fun in the ring in UKC shows when the judges, while serious, do a really good job at instructing and making you feel very relaxed at what they want you to do.

• Pictures from the ring -

• I went to an AKC "Match" show once, there were some very serious show people there with the trailers and pantsuits and primping tables, but there were a higher than normal amount of people who had never or only a few times attempted showing. So they advertised beforehand that there would be a free "handling class" as part of the day's events. So Matsu and I - and I think CJ, too- did that. A judge explained it all and showed us what to do and the order of operations. It only was about 30 minutes but it was helpful to see how many other people needed help, had doubts, or weren't perfect also. Maybe that would be something to offer in the future so that people who are curious but worried can know they are signed up for instruction before ring time.
  • Who's the big red male?
  • Look at that smug little face on that dumb red Kishu puppy.

@TheWalrus - The big red Shikoku is a neutered pet named Kenji, produced by @ShikokuSpirit (I think??) I really liked him, in person.

None of the Kishu were my favorite. They were a pain. :( But I'm super grateful to my friend Bryton and then, @LiaMarie for helping me show them. And to Jesse and Corina and Claire for letting me set up between them. ;)

Here are some of my shots from the show. I didn't get many...

Fionna won BOB in the first show. Cuchulainn won BOB in the second show. Nami looked kind of ratty from her coat dropping the last few weeks, and was sporting a scar... but one judge said she was difficult to assess because of the way she was being handled.

• @Crispy HEHE. The smile on Cu's face in @zandrame's photo makes me smile

@WrylyBrindle We took our 3 shikoku to the show, but didn't show them. We never did manage to turn in our ukc paperwork (sweatdrop). Regardless, we wouldn't show either of the boys. Katsu is too averse to being touched by strangers. Shou reacts unpredictably. I suspect he was abused; he more wary and jumpy around men. Miyuki was probably our only showable dog :S

• @zandrame Beautiful photos! That brindle akita is stunning. Hopefully next year I can make it and meet these gorgeous breeds in person :)