Socialization Theory: The Pros & Cons

2»

Comments

• @OmgTain isn't it funny how dogs can decide to be all picky over something? You can work something over and over and then one little thing is different and the dog is like "nope that wasn't how it was before, not happening." I try to do my Obedience training with as many variables as possible just to hope I don't run into something that will throw her off. I don't think we've done rain or a wet floor yet, so thanks for sharing the experience and giving me something to work on next :)

@Zandrame

Thanks for the link to the other forum post! There was a lot of good information in there too. There's so much stuff on the forum and I've spent a lot of hours just scouring through archives and still keep finding more stuff haha

@Crispy & @WrylyBrindle

I agree with both of you. I think that having a deep relationship with your dog is important and being able to work with your dog keeps the breed honest but I know everyone doesn't feel the same way about that. It's hard for me to toe the line between a pet and a working dog lol. I slip into both sides with my dogs too often and that will probably be why I can never title a dog haha

Also...

@TheWalrus posted on his blog about the post if anyone wanted to see what his thoughts on socializing young pups was ( http://nihonken.blogspot.com/2016/09/socializing-puppies.html )
  • edited September 2016
    Can be sharp and intense dogs without being terrified of or dangerous to the world and novel things around them.
    This. So often I see people claim their dog (especially Akita) is protective when it is in fact scared out of its mind. It is using fear-aggression to keep the scary thing away from it.

Or people who put their dog in a face-off at a dog show and think it is supposed to be lunging and snarling and nasty. No, they're supposed to be bold and courageous, not aggressive. That means the dog should be serious, and meet the other's gaze, and not offer submissive behaviors.

• edited September 2016
    This article made it's way across my FB community, and was forwarded to me by a few people. It annoyed me.

Not a very helpful comment, but I don't feel I can add much to what's already been said.

I think a lot of socialization comes down to what you plan to do with the dog. The person who wrote this article is very obviously a PP Sports person, and so their audience is mostly made up of that group. In that arena, training a dog to ignore everything around it, and focus on the mission at hand (the sport/game) is paramount.

I don't think that style of dog management/training really applies to the average pet owner who doesn't expect their dog to behave like a robot.
  • @BradA1878

You're right, and like I had said in the comments it is written from a working / PP mindset so the terminology and audience are different. I still liked the concept of building a strong bond and connection with your dog as being a top priority but you're right the way it's presented and written is a lot different than what an average pet owner would be looking for with their dog.

I just got back from training with my AA on a different field than normal and it was raining pretty hard. Probably 15 minutes into working different obedience stuff off leash with no issues my AA decided to break out of her long down and run off towards the woods to see what was over there. So that was a fun recall lol a robot dog doesn't sound tooooo terrible at the moment actually ;)