O'Ikon/Peggy G. still breeding?

2»

Comments

• One thing to take into consideration is that Shikokus and Shibas aren't always a good combination. They are both headstrong breeds that don't like to back down, arguments can escalate quickly between them.
    I can't agree more! It's a relationship that needs to be "managed" constantly. For anyone that thinks otherwise, this does not sort itself out.
  • @GrayJJ Very true. Kuma and Nanook both have time outs in their crates when things get heated and I will be doing the same for any future dogs. Though to me Grayson and Takeo seem to get along really well! Have you had any particular issues?
  • edited August 2016
    Here are some photos that might help ? Grayson is about 15-16" at the withers and 20 lbs., Takeo is about 19-20" and 40 lbs.

@brennamwk I am very lucky they get along, but they STILL require management most of the time - as it escalates very quickly. But have met a couple of shibas who hated Takeo, and Grayson not fond of other shikokus :) It's complicated! So i don't think they always make an easy pair, every individual dog will behave differently IMO.
  • This isn't going to be super helpful, but here's a large male Shiba (top of the standard so probably around 17") in the foreground with a large male Shikoku (around 22" and 45-48 pounds, depending on the season) in the background. Forced perspective is throwing off the size, so it's not really as good a measure as @GrayJJ or @Calia comparisons.

I have the same male Shiba next to a 5-6 month old female Kishu. Kishu are generally the same size/similar size as a Shikoku, so this might be helpful... Fionna (Kishu) was probably around 17 inches in this shot.

and here's that same Kishu, full-grown (at a bit over 18 inches, a hair under 19), next to a 6 month old male Kishu...

I think at 6 months, a Kishu or Shikoku may have another inch or two of growing tall left. Shikoku and Kishu end up quite a bit larger than Shiba.

Here's my female Kishu, full grown, next to my male Shikoku. Maybe you can extrapolate some sizes from all this and the previous posts.

• @GrayJJ I understand! For instance, Kuma hates any dog that's XL. We had a puppy Great Dane over the house who was 113 lbs and Kuma was not a fan. I think the size intimidated him and instead of being afraid he went on the defensive. Dogs don't get along with every dog just like us not getting along with every person. But this is actually really helpful! Kuma is the same size as Grayson for the most part. Does Takeo ever hurt Grayson with just his play? That is really a big worry of mine that the size difference will mean Kuma or Nanook will be hurt just trying to play with a dog whose double their weight. Kuma once did get hurt on accident by a 75 lb dog just playing. They were running and he tripped and the other dog didn't stop and hit him. He got a back leg limp that multiple vets couldn't exactly diagnose but we treated with steroids and bed rest for 2 weeks. They said it was most likely just a muscle tear or he hyperextended it. Even now 6 months later, I really watch the leg because he can get sensitive and require some RnR away from Nanook and walks etc. We are hopefully starting him on acupuncture therapy soon to rid him of the sensitivity and strengthen the leg fully back up!

@Crispy These were really helpful too! Out of curiosity, how do your Kishu and Shikoku get along? Are they very compatible due to their similarities or not?
  • @brennamwk nah, Grayson hasn't been hurt, but I always intervene if it gets too intense. He also fits under takeo now, so he knows how to just twirl away lol. I have heard either dog yelp if it gets too extreme, so I usually don't let it get that far!
  • @GrayJJ Well that's great! I'm really becoming more confident about my decision then to want to give this breed a chance as our third dog to round out our pack. We aren't making any commitments yet, but I love how helpful you guys are being.
  • edited August 2016
    @brennamwk - one of my Kishu (the eldest, Nami) does not get along with TK (Shikoku) very well. She wants to play with him, but if anything gets too high-intensity or high-energy, she will go for him.

All of the younger Kishu get along with him very well and play well with him, but I think that may be because they were puppies around him. They tolerate his rudeness and are not as prickley about his Shikoku-isms.

Even one of the puppies who was returned to me seem to remember TK and played very well with him. This puppy (who was a little over a year and a half when he came back and is pictured in my display picture/profile picture) played worse with his sister (Fionna, the white Kishu in my pictures above) than he did with TK. I was kind of surprised.
  • @Crispy Very interesting! I don't really know much about Kishus but I showed someone from the AKK owners page your instagram with the Beaucerons because they too have Beaucerons and love the breed. Your kishus are quite the bunch. I'm glad TK is good with puppies!
  • @Brennamwk - Oh! Small world! The Beauceron are awesome and do amazingly with the Kishu. Aegis has had some issues with TK and TK has had some issues with Balder, but TK is kind of a grumpy old man and I think the Beauceron tendency to circle-circle-circle stresses him out. The Kishu LOVE them, though. My friend, their owner, showed me a litter to be born soon/has been born recently(?) and I'm low-key tempted to get a Beaucer... but I dunno. It might be too soon for me...
  • @Crispy Apparently her AKK like her Beaucerons too! They seem like real sweet guys. If you do get one hopefully you show it off in the off topic section! I'd love to see how it goes!
  • @brennamwk When considering size, you should also consider their height at the shoulders! The sizes and weights of our 3 shikoku are.... somewhat varied.

Katsu (Male, Ryuu x Suki, 2 years old) is ~34 pounds
    Shou (Male, Ryuu x Suki, 2 years old) is ~36 pounds
    Miyuki (Female, Yamato x Kiyoshi, almost 1 year old) is ~42 pounds

Katsu is our lightest dog, but he's also our biggest dog! He's noticeably taller and longer than the other two. Shou looks significantly smaller than him in person. I think the height is what really makes them look bigger/smaller in photos.
  • @Calia Is Miyu from Peggy's Saki x Shiggy litter?
    My Miyu is from Peggy's Yamato x Suki pairing back in 2010.
  • @emi802 The reason I'm concerned with weight is only because other dogs who throw their weight on Kuma have hurt his back leg before. My only concern with height is that Kuma and Nanook are little strategists. They love to go in between a taller dog's legs and bite their ankles when wrestling. Such rascals!