O'Ikon/Peggy G. still breeding?

Hello,

Does anyone know if Peggy Graham is still breeding Shikoku? I spoke with her 4 or 5 years ago when I was just looking for info on the breed. Sadly, I recently lost my Shiba just shy of her 15th birthday and now that some time has passed am interested in a Shikoku. I've sent an email to the address on their contact page but it gets returned as "No Such User Here" and messaged on the O'ikon Facebook to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Yes they are still an active kennel. They are currently embarking on an interstate move, so they may not be available to answer messages at this time.
  • edited July 2016
    I was curious about this myself! I messaged her Facebook Kennel webpage not too long ago because another breeder told me she moved to North Carolina. But I haven't gotten a response and her email on her website doesn't work for me either. So similar problems!
  • I would give her some time. She's currently in the process of moving and she probably doesn't check her email every day.

My boy, TK, is from Peggy and Bob at O'Ikon. They've been awesome and it was a pleasure to be able to meet them after I got him as his second home.
  • Thanks much, Calia and Crispy!
  • Peggy is currently moving to North Carolina, She literally just moved I believe monday? O spoke to her a few days ago as well so she's just very busy. All 3 of my dogs are from her, and they're all a delight. Anyway i'm sure once she's settled in she'll contact anyone who was interested in a litter, that or she's waiting for a dog to go into heat. Breeding a rare breed is complicated work and i've had the pleasure to talk with 2 of the shikoku breeders about the inner workings of breedings. It is not easy and can take a very long time! So good luck and hopefully you get your pup soon.
  • I can't believe as soon as I start looking into the breed, a breeder moves about the same time as I did to NC. I messaged her a welcome to the state after finding out she moved here. I think her Shikoku will love the outdoorsy feel of NC a lot. I've only been here since April, but I can't wait to see other Nihon Ken in this state. I've been trying to start a shiba club, but to no avail.
  • Appreciate the info, jigzzor. I wasn't sure she was still operating the kennel after I got the instantly returned email I sent to the address on her website. Hopefully the move went smoothly for them and I hear from her soon.
  • Hey Chris! I got a response from her facebook last night! If you haven't messaged her there, I would consider it. She's still settling in but it will get your name out there.
  • Thanks so much. It was almost a month ago when I first messaged her there, I'll give it another shot.
  • Okay! I would still be patient! She's still settling in here in North Carolina. So, I'd give it time still. Her responses may not be immediate.
  • So any luck? Its been a month since she first talked to me so I hope you got a little response too.
  • I meant to shoot you a message and completely forgot. About a week after you posted here she sent me her number and we spoke for a good half hour. Thanks again to you and Nihon Ken forums!
  • Peggy is amazing! Couldn't speak more highly of her and how & what she does.
  • Well that's good! I've been thinking of shooting her another FB message just to follow up since its been about a month. And oh I know! I hope we can adopt a puppy from her in the upcoming year. I've been dog sitting to test the waters on having a third dog in the house and Kuma and Nanook I think would really enjoy it. I would love to visit and see a shikoku in person to see how they act and also to get an idea of the size difference between my AKK and Shiba. Peggy seems like a super sweet lady! And her dogs are all healthy and beautiful.
  • @brennamwk, @ShikokuSpirit might have a comparison pic of AKK and Shikoku
  • aykayk
    edited August 2016
    There are three sizes to the AKK. Toy, miniature, and standard. The standard size AKK is bigger than the Shiba. The miniature size AKK overlaps with the Shiba.

@brennamwk, what size is your AKK?
  • edited August 2016
    Shikoku vs Shiba comparisons are fairly easy to find on instagram. :) Though shiba sizes can sometimes vary quite a bit.

Here are a few:
    @GrayJJ has both https://www.instagram.com/graysonandtakeo/
    @roninshiba has both https://www.instagram.com/kuma_kiyomi/
    https://instagram.com/shibamax
    https://instagram.com/shibaoffleash
    @CrimsonO2 also has a shiba + 2 shikoku
  • @brennamwk, @ShikokuSpirit might have a comparison pic of AKK and Shikoku
    That would be helpful! We have the standard size as he is 6 months and 15 lbs. I'm sure when he hits one year he will bulk up even more.
  • Shikoku vs Shiba comparisons are fairly easy to find on instagram. :) Though shiba sizes can sometimes vary quite a bit.

Here are a few:
    @GrayJJ has both https://www.instagram.com/graysonandtakeo/
    @roninshiba has both https://www.instagram.com/kuma_kiyomi/
    https://instagram.com/shibamax
    https://instagram.com/shibaoffleash
    @CrimsonO2 also has a shiba + 2 shikoku
    I actually follow a lot of these accounts on Instagram already! Its strange how in still photos Shibas can look not that much smaller than Shikoku and then sometimes you can really see how mini they are in comparison. I just really want to see it in real life. And also just to see one to get a feel for the dog. I didn't meet an AKK before I got Nanook, and although I studied them all the time online actually being around them was different. I met a few Shibas in Japan before I got Kuma, and he turned out to be completely different than them! But, I think its definitely my preferred method of studying a dog breed before I get them.
  • meeting shikoku in real life is highly recommended.
  • edited August 2016
    (edited: duplicated post)
  • Peggy's dogs have a very nice calm temperament :) you can't go wrong! I highly recommend meeting as many shikoku as you can though.

As for a size comparison pic I'll try to post one later tonight. My dream is to get them stacked for a side photo, still impossible lol --- It's hard to judge though, my shiba is on the smaller scale of the breed standards but in my mind it's the size I expected?
  • Not all of these are the best pics, but you can get an idea of a Shikoku compared to Shiba and Huskies.
  • Peggy's dogs have a very nice calm temperament :) you can't go wrong! I highly recommend meeting as many shikoku as you can though.

As for a size comparison pic I'll try to post one later tonight. My dream is to get them stacked for a side photo, still impossible lol --- It's hard to judge though, my shiba is on the smaller scale of the breed standards but in my mind it's the size I expected?
    I follow you on instagram! I think I commented on the size before! Kuma, my shiba, is 21 lbs. So he's kinda small too but to me its what I expected as well. I know some Shibas can be much bigger. Kuma never holds still for pictures either! Nor does Nanook. Nanook is a 15 lb AKK, but I expect him to get bigger since he's only 6 months old.
  • @Calia Wow! So similar! For a second I couldn't tell them apart! How heavy is your Shiba? Is your Shikoku male or female as well? I know I want a male, and they definitely have a lot of size difference depending on their gender.
  • Miyu the Shikoku is female, she's about 37lbs and (I think) almost 18 inches to the shoulder. Tetsu the shiba is male, weighs 20lbs, and 14 inches to the shoulder. The huskies are 23-ish inches high, weights are 55 and 70 pounds.

Miyu was produced by Peggy, and while she is a great dog she is still a pain in the butt at times. One thing to take into consideration is that Shikokus and Shibas aren't always a good combination. They are both headstrong breeds that don't like to back down, arguments can escalate quickly between them. Having the huskies definitely eases the tension as they offer a playful partner.
  • @Caila Very true! I imagine the AKK and the Shikoku will get on very well with each other. With Nanook and Kuma, I've been socializing them a lot and generally they do well. Nanook as much as I love him, he can be a butthole and Kuma tolerates it. Nanook will clamp on his neck and then just stay there. He will kick him out of water bowls and food bowls and steal his treats. But luckily I always have enough and am always around and this eases everyone's minds.
  • @Calia Is Miyu from Peggy's Saki x Shiggy litter?
  • @haalumni - not @Calia, but I think Miyu is from Yamato and Suki, because I know she's TK's niece!