Hokkaido Owners: Free Gene Testing

The U.S. Hokkaido club has conditional approval from Optimal Selection to participate in the same genetic diversity testing that CJ is currently doing with her Kishu. I will have 15 tests available to send to owners and need owners to send me their mailing information and I will send a kit and disclosure/agreement. There is no charge to this DNA cheek swab/test for us, and the samples we get will of course be extremely helpful for the growth of the breed here in the States and Canada.

I am asking for information for the following households and want to include sampling from the following households:

@brada1878 (Katana and Kurasi)
@WhoBitMe (Meitou)
@Krisz (your sesame, Maru, Seta, don't you have a puppy you sent here to California?)
@kogafriend (Moro)
@alyssab (Kuma)
@Animalshaun (Kaji)
@thegela (Yezo)

Does someone know the handle for Oni? Any others I'm forgetting? I plan to submit Genko again since it's a different study and Umma also. It's ok if your dogs are spayed/neutered. If you use FB more, feel free to message me there also. My email is info@hokkaidoken.org

I would be extremely grateful to all who can help and send a cheek swab for gene testing! Lindsay

Comments

• aykayk
    edited June 2016
    @lindsayt - Could you elaborate on what you mean by "it's a different study"? I can see that if this will be used for Wisdom Panel that it'll need a new sample. but Genko's existing sample should suffice for Optimal Selection/MyDogDNA.
  • I seem to recall her saying that they may not have any DNA left for her and I should send a new one as they are doing some MHC testing that they didn't do before? Something like that? I can't recall but my impression is they are wanting to do some more comprehensive cataloging. Or something.
  • @lindsayt I can email you my mailing information, or private message you. Is this test for anything in particular? I'm not familiar with Optimal Selection, sorry. :)
  • Oni's owner handle is @laurenmarie

And maybe @jeffnkazuko 's Yume would be an option, too?
  • @whobitme

Hi! I got your info, and no the test isn't due to any one specific concern I have in terms of testing for a specific disease...it doesn't screen for CEA even, but the study is supposed to help determine relatedness and diversity and give us a better perspective on the gene pool of dogs being used in the U.S. so we can make better breeding choices down the road. We will get a full panel for each dog regardless so that will do all the color genes, screen for over 200 something genetic illnesses and traits and so on. :)
  • @lindsay Oh, wow! Sounds like it covers a lot! This will be interesting to do on Meitou, I think. I'm looking forward to it.
  • Here is the disclosure from Mars Vet:

Dear Hokkaido Inu Breeder,

Thank you for your interest in genetic health, and participating in our Optimal Selection™ genetic breeding analysis program for rare breed. The purpose of this program is to identify and obtain reference samples from rare breeds that are not well represented in our breed database. Breeds admitted to the program are granted on an individual basis after review by Mars Veterinary. Once elected to the program, Mars Veterinary will furnish up to 15 Optimal Selection™ tests at no charge to the breed club representative so that the reference samples can be obtained. These kits are distributed using the following criteria:

- Each breeder participating in the program can submit up to two (2) unrelated dogs of the target breed. Coordination amongst the group is strongly recommended to avoid duplication of family lines and to ensure the samples accurately represent the entire breed’s genetic pool. Preferably, familial relationships between sampled dogs should be no closer than first cousins; exceptions may be made for dogs of special interest due to health concerns or unique traits.
    - If the initial collection does not yield 15 samples, the remaining free test kits will be made available to interested breeders who may submit 1-2 additional dogs until the 15 maximum is reached. The breed club representative will be charged with distributing the remaining kits.
    - Additional sample submissions are welcome but regular fees will apply to any samples beyond the 15 issued by Mars Veterinary as part of this program.
    - Mars Veterinary reserves the right to decline testing any dog who does not meet the criteria for the program.

Upon receipt of a sample, the submitting breeder will receive an account on the Optimal Selection™ website where they will be able to review their dog’s results once they are available. In exchange, the DNA sample and any information derived from it becomes part of Mars Veterinary’s DNA collection, and may be used to inform future testing services or research. Please be assured that Mars Veterinary will keep the identity of individual dogs, their DNA data, and any owner information confidential and will not pass this information to third parties; we will only share information on the owner’s specific request. Owners of dogs submitting samples will have access to their dog’s remaining DNA, if any, through a DNA banking system.

Occasionally, in the course of carrying out our scientific studies, we may uncover some interesting genetic information about a particular individual or its associated breed, and may reach out to the breeder on record to obtain additional information or to pass along our findings. However, as general rule, the DNA of one individual dog provides us additional insight into a breed, but does not necessitate additional follow up, so you may not receive further communication from Mars Veterinary regarding the submission after your report is received.

By submitting a sample for this program, you agree to the above. Should you have any additional questions regarding this program, or our testing services or policies, kindly send us an email to: customercare@marsveterinary.com. Thank you for your participation in this project!

Best wishes,
    Mars Veterinary
    Research & Development Team
  • @laurenmarie

Would you like a kit for Oni?

@jeffnkazuko did you want one for Yume?

@Animalshaun do you want one for Kaji?
  • We would get in on this if it isn't too late.
    https://goo.gl/photos/61qcR3r4GXU8sQFTA
  • @jeffnkazuko

I have 3 extra kits left, and would love send one. Please message or email with your address and dog info and I will send one your way :) Thanks!

info@hokkaidoken.org
  • @lindsayt, are you in contact with this girl, imported from the Czech Republic?
    http://www.hokkaido-pedigree.com/details.php?id=63605
  • edited December 2016
    @lindsayt Hey! Meitou's test results came in the other day. :) I made his profile public so hopefully you can find him. I couldn't figure out how to send his results to a specific person.
  • I got an email from Dr Knox saying she has received samples and resulted samples from about 6 dogs so far. Anybody else who has kits but haven't sent them back yet, please swab and send within the next week so the samples can be included in the study.
  • If those are still available ill take one for Kaji.