A few More Questions :)

I know, I have a lot of these. I just like to learn as much as I can and compile a list of all I'm learning and figuring out while I prepare to start this awesome journey in a few years! It's been many, many, MANY years since I've actually had a puppy (a little over 10 years now!), since my current dog was already 8 months old by the time I got her. So, I'm really over thinking and making sure I'm extra, extra prepared for this!

So, new questions!

01. When bringing home a puppy, do you prefer a crate or an X-pen? If Crate, Plastic of Wire? If X-Pen, do you have a crate connected to the X-Pen? What kind of Crates or X-Pens do you use?

02. What size crate would you get for a puppy? I plan to have a puppy crate and an adult crate!
--- Right now, I have a plastic 28L x 24W x 22H Plastic crate, and a 42L x 27W x 30H Wire Crate (currently used by my current dog but would get another as the puppy ages)

03. What type of toys are best?
--- I've gotten a few odd toys here and there and will be collecting a variety of toys up until I actually bring a puppy home, just to have a variety so the puppy can choose which ones he prefers and I have a better idea on what sturdy types of toys to get him! Right now I have things like Tuffes, Kongs, Nylas, Nerfs, Lifestages, ect! Pictures will be posted below! I'm also going to be getting a Barkbox for him every couple of months until I get him :3 Just to get a variety of toys and such up until I get him! For half the price of what I'll be paying just getting random toys separately!

04. What are the best types of bowls? Ceramic, plastic, metal? Elevated or ground feeders?
--- My current dog has two plastic bowls, and two metal bowls. I'm looking at buying two ceramic bowls for the puppy, because I hear that puppies like to drag their bowls around, and Ceramics are heavier and prevent that?

05. Best types of collars for puppies? Nylon, leather, paracord, ect?
--- I'm a major collar and leash hoarder, I love all the pretty designs and styles, so there will be lots of collars in this little guy's future! I currently have a bright blue nylon puppy collar, and an orange collar for hiking when he gets bigger. I see a lot about them having very small necks, should I get one of those collar-leash combination things, the slip-leads?

06. Apartment life with a Shikoku? Doable?
--- I find out in a week or so if I get to move into a new apartment where I will be able to fence my own backyard (holding off on contacting a breeder until I figure this out). If I can't do this, I'll still be living in an apartment, just one that I likely won't be able to fence in. There will still be lots of mental stimulation and physical as well. The second apartment I am looking at has a small fenced in area to let dogs run around and such for off leash time (working night shift means I will be out there at night, away from anyone else and their dogs and this won't be a thing until he's older). I go on lots of hikes and such with my current dog, so yea. No lack of exercise! just will be in an apartment!

07. Best types of food?
--- Obviously won't be getting this until later on, haha, but I'll be trying out different brands with my current dog so that they are both on the same food (just, one adult food, one puppy food). Right now, Roo is on Earthborn. Liking it a lot, but I'm curious about other brands! Thinking of trying Zignatures, and maybe Evo, Nature's Variety, and Wellness Core? She's been on Acana, Orijen, 4Health, Blue Buffalo, Purina (gross), Beneful (even grosser), and now Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural (my favorite as of now). Orijen is too pricey, Acana made her sick. Blue has too many recalls, I have nothing to say about Purina or Beneful. 4Health was pretty okay though, so long as I stuck away from fish.

08. Climates?
--- Summers are getting super hot here, so this is just a general question ultimately, what are ways to keep your dogs cool when outdoors? I am planning on getting a Ruffwear Swamp Cooler vest, and have a cooling banana, for Roo. What are ways to keep a Shikoku cool?

09. Training?
--- I know some of these are repeated questions, sorry! But, what's training a Shikoku like? Some have said easy, some have said difficult? Would a Shikoku make a good obedience prospect? Agility Prospect? Therapy Dog?

10. Final question! How do you pronounce Shikoku?
--- Is it She-Ko-Ku, or sh-ko-ku, or what?

And, Puppy Supply Hoarding! :Dimage The plastic Crate.

image Wire crate, with Roo. Roo is maybe an inch or two smaller than what an adult Shikoku will be, on average.

imageimage

Comments

• I have a Hokkaido instead of a Shikoku, but I'll try answering a few of these anyway. ;)

01. When bringing home a puppy, do you prefer a crate or an X-pen? If Crate, Plastic of Wire? If X-Pen, do you have a crate connected to the X-Pen? What kind of Crates or X-Pens do you use?

------When Meitou was a puppy I used both. They were both useful in different situations. He had a crate to go in, and that was in an area blocked with an x-pen to keep him on flooring that was easy to clean if he had an accident.

02. What size crate would you get for a puppy? I plan to have a puppy crate and an adult crate!
    --- Right now, I have a plastic 28L x 24W x 22H Plastic crate, and a 42L x 27W x 30H Wire Crate (currently used by my current dog but would get another as the puppy ages)

----I don't remember how big his first crates were. The first was the one is was shipped to me in. Then I got a bigger one once he grew enough.

--- I've gotten a few odd toys here and there and will be collecting a variety of toys up until I actually bring a puppy home, just to have a variety so the puppy can choose which ones he prefers and I have a better idea on what sturdy types of toys to get him! Right now I have things like Tuffes, Kongs, Nylas, Nerfs, Lifestages, ect! Pictures will be posted below! I'm also going to be getting a Barkbox for him every couple of months until I get him :3 Just to get a variety of toys and such up until I get him! For half the price of what I'll be paying just getting random toys separately!

----I feel like this might depend a bit on the puppy. Meitou liked all toys as a puppy, but he especially lived squeaky toys and fabric rope toys.

04. What are the best types of bowls? Ceramic, plastic, metal? Elevated or ground feeders?
    --- My current dog has two plastic bowls, and two metal bowls. I'm looking at buying two ceramic bowls for the puppy, because I hear that puppies like to drag their bowls around, and Ceramics are heavier and prevent that?

----Meitou has metals bowls for water. He actually eats off plates for most of his meals (he gets raw).

--- I'm a major collar and leash hoarder, I love all the pretty designs and styles, so there will be lots of collars in this little guy's future! I currently have a bright blue nylon puppy collar, and an orange collar for hiking when he gets bigger. I see a lot about them having very small necks, should I get one of those collar-leash combination things, the slip-leads?

----I like martingale collars for Meitou. He slips out of regular collars fairly easily. But he is wearing a regular fabric collar because it's cute. I walk him on a harness anyway so that's usually fine anyway. I have a leash that has a buckle as part of the handle so it can be a regular leash or go around my waist. I don't do waist leashes with Meitou any more after some bad experiences, but the fact I can clip his leash around a tree, pole etc has been pretty useful on several occasions.

08. Climates?
    --- Summers are getting super hot here, so this is just a general question ultimately, what are ways to keep your dogs cool when outdoors? I am planning on getting a Ruffwear Swamp Cooler vest, and have a cooling banana, for Roo. What are ways to keep a Shikoku cool?

----Meitou doesn't handle heat super well. I make sure he has water on hand. We have a kiddie pool out during the summer. I take him on walks in the morning or late in the day, when things are cooler. I like to take him to creeks, rivers, etc so he can wade in.

09. Training?
    --- I know some of these are repeated questions, sorry! But, what's training a Shikoku like? Some have said easy, some have said difficult? Would a Shikoku make a good obedience prospect? Agility Prospect? Therapy Dog?

---Meitou is pretty clever and isn't hard to train, really. But if he doesn't want to do it, he won't. lol Or he learns ways to get around what I want him to do. He can be picky with treats. So...he's smart but has a mind of his own.

--- Is it She-Ko-Ku, or sh-ko-ku, or what?

----I am pretty sure it is she-ko-ku.

• I'll try to answer some these from a general puppy owner standpoint, though I do not have experience with Shikoku in particular.

--- I prefer a plastic vari-kennel type crate. Crates should be big enough for the dog/puppy to lay down comfortably, but not big enough that there is room to do much more than sleep and/or chill. Puppies are more likely to pee in a larger crate than they are in a crate small enough that the whole thing is used to sleep. This can aid in house training.

Never just throw your puppy in a crate and leave him there for several hours though. My puppies are usually tethered to me throughout the day; crates are only used for sleeping and when I leave the house for an hour or two. If you need to leave the house for several hours, then creating an interactive puppy pen with fun toys, games, safe chewies, etc is a good idea. The crate can go in the pen.

--- That seems a little big. Like mentioned above, I only like crates big enough so the puppy can lay down and sleep in them.

--- Anything interactive! Make your puppy THINK!! Puzzle toys are a huge favorite in my house. I always try to take a "learn to learn" approach when raising puppies. The more they are used to figuring problems out from an early age, the more receptive they will be to training.

--- I've been told to never feed from plastic bowls. I know some people like them, but over time the plastic can corrode and it's not safe. I prefer heavy, non-skid metal bowls. Ceramic is also fine, but they can break if dropped.

--- If you don't mind collar fur, then any type of collar would work. I show my dogs though, so I have to make sure whatever they wear won't mess up their fur. Rolled leather is a favorite of mine.

08. Climates?
    --- If it's very hot, invest in some dog booties to protect their paws from the hot pavement. Ruffwear grip trex are awesome! Know the signs of overheating in dogs/puppies, and always be prepared to stop whatever you are doing in order to help your dog cool down. It gets really hot where I'm from, so I keep a baby pool in my back yard for the dogs to play in. Whenever you go out with the dogs, carry a water bottle and travel water bowl. This will help keep them cool and hydrated when it's hot out.

--- Shee-koh-kuu
  • Thanks guys! :) Thankfully they will never be on pavement really, if they are, it's less than a minute (going in and out of a store). Every other time, it's just on grass or dirt when hiking! As an avid hiker, I already have a lot of the basic gear like a backpack, cooling mat, travel, collapsable bowls and insulated water containers to keep it cool!

How big should an X-pen be?
  • @Rathorian - Just an FYI, most of your questions have been answered in other threads. It may make things easier to read through other's experiences rather than continuing to post lists of questions. :)

You can search Google for prior forum posts if it makes it more simple than trying to use the built in search. Just search for "Topic Site:nihonken.org" Where Topic is whatever you want to search for.

Hope this helps.
  • Have you visited the Shikoku Club website and read the Living With a Shikoku section?
    http://www.shikokuclub.org/faq.php
    and
    http://www.shikokuclub.org/shikokuken_life.php

A lot of your more important questions will be answered there.
  • This forum rarely works for me and cuts out continuously, that's why I made my own post, I can't always refer back to different threads. I can't always connect to this thread either. It was easier to post this with these questions alone though.

I have read that website, that section. I just wanted more input from other people as well. Sorry.