Variety of dogs most members own.

edited May 2016 in Other Breeds
@BRAD1878 I have noticed that you have a CV. I figure that's a Caucasian Ovcharka? I've also seen you mention a CC. Is that a Cane Corso? Those 2 with the Akita and the Kai Ken would not only be an interesting mix but also sounds like a handful. I would love to hear about the CV and the CC. I showed my husband pictures of the CV's and he said absolutely not. He wants something smaller than my AA next time.

Comments

• I've owned in past a gsd mix not sure what else was in him, catahoula mix, two boxers.

Currently have a shiba and boxer. Have fostered two pure catahoula.
  • COs are quite impressive but from what I heard they can be an incredible liability for someone who isn't incredibly experienced from those kinds of breeds. I think the same could be said about the CC as well.

@BradA1878 no longer keeps JAs, though the kai he produces are awesome.
  • I know that @lindsayt has a CO.

I used to have labrador but she passed away in 2014 from liver failure. I also had a maltess/pomeranian mix and 2 dachshunds.
  • I have a CO, some Shibas and some Hokkaido. I had a Kai Ken also.
  • edited May 2016
    @dachiboy - Yes, I own a CO, Kai, Kishu, Hokkaido, Shikoku, Shiba, Gampr, CAO, Boerboel, Tosa, and a Dogo Argentino. I used to own CC, Kangal, Jindo, Fila, WSLm and Akita.
  • Two Kai Ken and a Kai x Rottweiler.

Recently lost my beloved greyhound x mountain cur mix.

Non-Brindles: also have owned a beagle/labrador mix long, long ago, and briefly fostered a shepherd-y mix for a few months.
  • German Shepherds and Kai Ken for me. Their personalities compliment each other.
  • One Shikoku and one Kishu. :) A fun pair, if you ask me.
    I've owned in past a gsd mix not sure what else was in him, catahoula mix, two boxers.

Currently have a shiba and boxer. Have fostered two pure catahoula.
    @saya How were the catahoula? I adore that breed, but have never met one. They're on my long list of "maybe someday" breeds. They seem similar to NK, in some ways, although maybe more biddable? Strong-willed, intense, aloof, loyal... Of course, this is all just from what I've read, so feel free to share you experiences. :)
  • I have three Northern Inuits and a German Shepherd x Inuit mix, and hoping to add a Hokkaido to the family in the future ;)
  • edited June 2016
    I had a border collie and hokkaido until the border collie passed away last year. I think they could have been a good pair except for the age difference. Amy was too old and feeble by the time Meitou came home for them to be good playmates. Meitou loved Amy, though.

Now Meitou lives with two Chihuahuas and he does well with them. Once the chihuahuas move out in several months I'm contemplating getting Meitou a buddy, but we'll see. ;)
  • I currently own 3 Kishu and 1 Shikoku. They keep me busy enough.

In the past, I've owned Akita, Pomeranian, German Shepherd, Labrador Retriever, and Alaskan Malamute.

I have also fostered a handful of bull breed mixes, a Bloodhound, one true APBT, a terrier puppy, Alaskan Malamute, Akita, Great Pyrenees, Turkish Shepherd, farm collies and Border Collie mixes (usually with LGD breeds), and other LGD breed mixes.

I'm probably missing some dogs...
  • I currently own a Texas Heeler mutt, with hopes of adding a Shikoku in the coming years!

In the past I've owned German Shepherds, Labs, Border Collies, an Olde English Sheepdog, a Shih-tzu, and a variety of other breeds. I've fostered and worked with Bull Breeds, Jack Russels, Malinois, Coonhounds, Beagles, Redbones, Blue Ticks, Australian Cattle Dogs, Dachshunds, Chihuahuas, Catahoulas, Great Pyrenees, Siberian Huskies, Malamutes, Australian Shepherds, Chow-Chows, Golden Retrievers, Dobermans, Rottweilers, and many more. Working with Rescues and Shelters and aspiring to be a trainer really opens up the gateway to working with some awesome dogs!
  • I have Belgian Malinois, Shikoku Ken and Alaskan Klee Kai. Looking into adding Yakutian Laika "soon".

Previously, I have had German Shepherd, GSD/Husky Mix, GSD/Labrador Mix, Rottweiler and temporarily a Shiba Inu.
  • My family and I currently have an elderly Sheltie but we previously had a Lab, a mutt that we had no clue what he was a mix of, and housed a Rottweiler pup for about 4 months for my uncle before returning him. Other relatives have two strange but lovable Yorkie mixes and a Miniature Pinscher.

I find it kind of funny that I have a huge interest in the Spitz types of dogs despite never having grown up with any haha.