Moro the Hokkaido

2»

Comments

• @kogafriend It is fun to meet other Hokkaido. :x
  • I haven't weighed her recently, but she feels like she weighs over 50 lbs. Definitely, bigger and heavier than our Shikoku, Koga.
  • Now I am curious to know how much she weighs. When Meitou was weighed last, a few weeks ago, he was at 40 pounds.
  • Wow! That is big. That actually seems excessively large for a female Hokkaido. Interesting! How tall is Moro?

I always think my Shikoku is huge for the breed and he's just about 50 pounds now that he's turned his chunk into muscle. All the Hokkaido I've met have been much smaller than my Shikoku - even Meitou, who is probably the largest one I've seen. But I've only seen Genko, Umma, Mino, Katana, and Meitou.
  • Moro! Love new pictures.
  • I'll have to weigh her next time we have her at the vet. Our Shikoku was 37 lbs last time but Moro is definitely much heavier than him.
  • edited May 2016
    Finally got the pics to work. I guess these pics show how stout or stocky Moro has become, but she just is so much heavier than Koga that she always seems to be on top when they play rough.

• How tall is she compared to Koga?

She could just be stocky. I know Koga is intact--it seems intact males tend to be on the leaner side. (At least Katsu is and our vet says it's because he's intact.) Our Miyuki is already much heavier than Katsu but it's because she's a little tank (she's a lot like Yamato). She's not as tall as Katsu though--just bulkier. Moro looks like she has a similar body shape. :)
  • Hmm, I seem to have trouble posting more pics.

I'm going to try to measure their heights when I get home tonight. More is definitely stocky, if not stout being a more accurate word.

We both feed them their meals 2X a day with snacks in between; however, Koga doesn't appear to eat as much and a lot of times has to be coaxed to eat his food. He seems to have that measure of indifference at times. Moro though will eat everything on her plate and more, and is always more than willing to please.

I'll try to see if I can post some pics of them side by side and together. Koga runs in the 36 - 37 lb range lately, and maybe its because he is intact as you said. He did measure one time in the low 40's at the vet last year, but now it may just be that their scale might have been off.
  • edited May 2016
    Memorial Day Pics

Beef ribs!

And pics with my pack

With the rest of my pack. Koga, Nina(Belgian Malinoi), and Logan(shitzu-cavalier)

• Genko is 30lbs yesterday and Umma is about 27lbs. Honestly though, Moro could probably drop some pounds (5-10) judging from the photos...has she been bred?

I know Genko is a big eater so I have to measure and portion and she doesn't get more than 2 cups a day total, but she would eat and eat if she could. They are naturally thicker than the other medium NK for the most part.
  • edited May 2016
    I measured both Koga and Moro heights. Both are 19"/48 cm at the shoulder. Also, no, Moro has not been bred.