Mushing Roll Call

edited March 2016 in Hunting & Working
Who here does any mushing with their dog? Urban mushing included (scootering, bikejoring, rollerblades, canicross, whatever).

I just dusted off my scooter after a couple years of disuse and now I'm wondering why I waited so long. Sosuke is pooped and I had lots of fun.

Comments

• we do canicross, bikejoring, and skijoring! :D
    we get all of our gear from alpineoutfitters!
  • My friend goes urban mushing with his Siberian husky and occasionally the Alaskan malamute using a long skateboard. I've tried a few times, it's pretty fun! haha
  • What type of scotter do you use?
    My AA LOVES to pull. Everyone who sees us when there is snow tells me I need to hook a sleigh sled to him. He loves the snow and loves to pull.
  • Calling @Calia!

I have always wanted to try bikejoring, but Bella is a bit too old for running long distances and Nola is a bit too... Nola for it. Haha.
  • I've been looking for a group to talk to about training for urban mushing because we're having a couple problems (nothing big) and I was having a hard time finding a forum or group dedicated to urban mushing.

So what has everyone's experience been with training? What was your method, what problems did you have, and how did you deal with them?

As for me, Sosuke's problem is that he'd rather run beside me. Rakka's problem is that she goes pretty good until she sees a distraction, and then I have to stop and brace myself so I can keep her from pulling me off trail. They both have the problem of wanting to stop and sniff around or pee on stuff. Which I'm sure are pretty common problems, but I'm wondering how most people deal with them.

@dachiboy I'm not sure. It says Bandit on the side. I got it used locally. For some reason I want to say its a Blauwerk, but I don't know. I've had it for 10 years.
  • how we trained commands:
    line out: put dog in harness with 6 ft leash and tether to something. lure dog out to end of 6 feet and reward on the ground (if you reward from your hand they will continue to look back at you for the reward). after a session or two i will only walk out to 5 feet and point and say line out and reward (toss treat) when the leash is taut. send them out from farther away until they're going out the full 6 feet

gee: literally every time we go on walks if we turn right i say gee and reward lol.
    haw: see above, means left.

sometimes Nare will hang out next to me, if he does that I speed up (and he speeds up) and then i slowly apply the breaks so i fall behind him again. i usually bikejore on wide trails so i always try to make the line taut, try to put as much distance between you and sosuke.
    if they want to stop and sniff-- keep going! best way to teach a leave it lol.

Nare also does better if there is someone ahead or behind us. a challenge i suppose.

everyone i know uses diggler scooters.
  • Good tip on the line-out, thanks. I had read to walk them dragging something so they get used to the sensation of pulling, so I think I'll do that, too.
  • edited March 2016
    We worked on line-out today, plus keeping the line tight. First, I walked them around the block so I was sure they didn't have to go. Then I just attached a piece of wood to the end of their "towlines" (two leashes) and walked along while encouraging them to walk in front of me and not sniff or poop or get distracted. I threw down treats in front of them as a reward for walking straight forward with the line tight. At one point, the wood picked up a garbage bag and was making extra noise, but I think that was a good thing. It's teaching them not to be weirded out by having something drag behind them that potentially makes noise.

I did Sosuke first and then Rakka. On Rakka's turn, there was a dog barking and lunging from its yard and Rakka handled it about 10x better than she usually does. Maybe because we were Doing a Thing she was more focused on me than on an unstructured leash walk.

Good times were had by all.