Gomataro go Bousou Yawara Sou - aka, Toutarou

edited February 2016 in Kishu Ken (紀州犬)
Sooooo... I got another Kishu - thanks much to @thewalrus - and his breeder, Watanabe-san.

His name was almost Kotenbo (with "Tesshin" as a close follow-up), but after talking to a couple people and my roommate's vote for "Toutou", we finally settled.

Comments

• He's so cute!! Congratulations!! Has he met any of your other dogs yet?
  • @Esperchan - He has! He's met TK (Shikoku) and Fionna (Kishu). He's also met my roommate's Labrador, Finn. The only one he hasn't been able to interact with yet is Nami (remaining Kishu) because she seems pretty sure that he might be a chew toy. :( I'm sure that'll fade as he becomes less novel and he grows bigger and less chomp-able.
  • I simply love the white on his chest.

I'm glad that everything is going smoothly. Hopefully Nami comes around sooner rather than later :p If all works out, are you on breeding him?
    ps. I remember seeing that one of the pups from your other litter needed a new home. Has he found one, or is he just staying at another home for now?
  • @Esperchan - the white on his chest is interesting. I don't know if it's what's called "residual white" or if it's indicative that he is a pinto carrier. I'd expect him to have a white tail tip if he carried pinto, but I dunno. I guess I'll find out when I test him. :)

If all goes well, I did import him so that I'd have a male in North America not related to Fionna (and, I suppose, Kishin and Shirogane's female pups from Brad's litters.) It's really to early to say that there are any concrete plans now. So he has a long while to "just" be a cute puppy and outdoor companion before I think about that any more.
  • Lol, I realize I didn't even address the Kurogane question, @Esperchan - Yessss, I found an awesome home - previous Shiba owner and backpacker who seems like a really good fit for him so far! I'm really excited because he's very close.
  • I LOVE HIM :D Congrats!! I hope we get to meet this little fella some day too.
  • Good for Kurogane!! I hope he has many adventures.
  • Awww, what a cutie! I'm so excited to see the Kishu population growing!

So the white Kishu are becoming a minority, it seems. :p
  • Toutarou! He's so cute!

And I'm glad to hear Kurogane found an awesome home? Was it the one in Vancouver or was it someone in Oregon?

And so as not to completely derail Toutarou's thread.... he's cute! My sister showed me a video of him playing with Fionna that you had posted to Facebook. That was adorable.
  • @Esperchan - the white on his chest is interesting. I don't know if it's what's called "residual white" or if it's indicative that he is a pinto carrier. I'd expect him to have a white tail tip if he carried pinto, but I dunno. I guess I'll find out when I test him. :)
    Wait wait, white-tipped tail means pinto? Because Cosmia's tail totally has a white tip. It's just a few hairs, really, but hmm...

Anyway, I've expressed this many a time on various websites, but this guy <3 I love him. I wanna rub his belly. How is his belly, by the way? Weird question, I know, but Cosmia's belly was surprisingly hairless when we got her. Shoko's always been all FLOOF so I wasn't expecting that. I'm wondering if naked belly is a Kishu thing?

• Awww, what a cutie! I'm so excited to see the Kishu population growing!

So the white Kishu are becoming a minority, it seems. :p
    It seems tht way, huh? I'm not going to complain. I'd like to see the other coat colors make a comeback, if they can. To be honest, I didn't go into looking for an import by saying "I want a sesame Kishu!", but the opportunity opened up, so I took it. I figure with how many white Kishu there are in general, there's no harm in having the amount of non-white dogs we do. ;)
    Toutarou! He's so cute!

And I'm glad to hear Kurogane found an awesome home? Was it the one in Vancouver or was it someone in Oregon?

And so as not to completely derail Toutarou's thread.... he's cute! My sister showed me a video of him playing with Fionna that you had posted to Facebook. That was adorable.
    Kuro got a home in Vancouver! I forgot to follow up with you because I was sure you were working when I dropped him off the second time.

I'm trying to upload that video of Toutarou and TK to Youtube since a couple of people have asked for it. :)
    Wait wait, white-tipped tail means pinto? Because Cosmia's tail totally has a white tip. It's just a few hairs, really, but hmm...

Anyway, I've expressed this many a time on various websites, but this guy
    White tail tip can be an indicator that a dog is carrying pinto. Pinto dogs will also often have white tails or tail tips. Shoko has a good chance of being a pinto carrier, since I'm pretty sure Shizuka is a pinto carrier and there's a chance Shiro is, too (since we don't know if Taro is or not.)

Toutarou and Nami both have rather naked tummies, to answer your second question. Fionna's is just as furry as TK's though. So maybe it depends on a lot of things... I dunno! Fionna has a naked tummy when she was Toutarou's age, though.

Also, another shot.
  • Oh my gosh :x Toutarou is utterly adorable, I think I'm in love :P how old is he in the photos by the way? Trying to get a handle on how fast they grow.
  • @Six - He's ten weeks! :)
  • I'm loving all the new puppy pictures. They are just so cute!
  • He is so cute. Congrats again! :)
  • Thanks, @Brada1878 ;) You know I wouldn't have him without you, so thank you for letting me know! I did translate his pedigree and found that he's kind of... circularly related to Nami, so there's that to keep in mind, but I don't think it's that bad.

I finally got around to making a video of him and TK playing nicely.

• Love. Love. Love that last picture of him with his head cocked. He is so adorable. I just want to reach in the screen and pick him up and cuddle with him. However Dachi is sooo jealous that even if it were possible I couldn't.
  • He is sooo cute!!! :D I love how well TK plays with him, adorable!
  • He's a great little dog. He's actually going to go to his new owners soon - they live close by and I'm going to be picking up another pup, so in order to make sure everyone has time and space they need, he's being placed in a cooperative home.

I'm anxious about it, but they'll be on instagram to chronicle his little life - and they're avid hikers with a Malamute/Husky mix who he's met and loves. I'll take some more pictures of him today to try and get some more uploaded here.
  • Glad things going well. :)
  • I don't get to cuddle with Toutarou? *sad*

I will have to find his new owner's instagram and stal--er follow him. :D
  • Here's some more pictures... to part with.

• I'd keep him if I could provide for 5 dogs, lol, and Portland didn't have such strict dog max laws. Apparently you cannot get a kennel license for a residential area and you cna only have 4 dogs before you need a kennel license. :\
  • Aw, that's lame of Portland. :( But at least Toutarou will be close.

His crazy face in the first picture is adorable.

(and who is the mystery pup you will be picking up?)
  • In Lethbridge, you need a "dog fancier licence" to have more than two dogs, and you need a fenced yard (which they inspect) to get the licence. Oh yeah, and you can lose it if neighbours complain about your dogs. Then you can have up to five, but it's kind of scary, because what if your neighbours are jerks and you have to either move or rehome 3 of your dogs?
  • @WhoBitMe - I'll be picking up a pup from Brad's current litter. I'm planning a road trip to CO when I'm done. Maybe get some more hiking with the girls done out in Moab and Western CO on my way there. I've wanted to go back since I came out here, so it seems like a good opportunity.

@Heidi - That sounds awful. :( I'm hoping to move somewhere a little more rural. My roommate is looking at Canby right now, which is not too far from the city, but we wouldn't have dog troubles.

I let Toutarou's new owners know about the forum, so I hope they show up and post updates of him. :)
  • Toutarou's owner met up with me a few weeks ago. We'll be meeting up again on Thursday to talk Kishu stuff and do Toutarou's Optimal Selection/My Dog DNA test.

Here are some pictures of him until then.

• :x Uuuugh, his adorableness is too much!
  • Aw! Does he have allergies? his face looks red and inflamed in that last one :(