Kaja the Shikoku Ken!

124»

Comments

• Lol that sounds adorable! :)
  • Decided to just go all of the above and alternate things. So far so good!

Also quick question about coats, if anyone might be able to answer for me: Kaja is a year old now, so do Shikoku coat colours change much after a year old?

I'm curious if she would be considered a red sesame, or a sesame (aka goma or goma). Thoughts?
    Were you able to find out about this? Rosie's is getting white patches =P
  • @KevinDo88

Yes, they change color as they get older and/or blow coat after a year old. My black sesame looks more black/white/gray when she blows coat.
  • edited February 2016
    @KevinDo88 I don't know what her classification would be for sure, no one has chimed in their thoughts. In the middle of her face is a mask that is red, and when she was a puppy all of her was that red... but when you look at her puppy photos, it was actually her face that had the most black in it! The colours reversed a bit as she got older.

And yes! White patches will start to show up -- this is called the urajiro. From my understanding, you will see the white marking show up along what is called 'ventral' points. So the light points along the inside of the legs, the chest, the inside of the ears, the muzzle, and the tail will start to define themselves better. The line of the shoulders and neck also seems to lighten up compared to the rest of the body -- you can totally see this in Kaja's pictures as she gets older.

Black and tan will also have the spots around their eyebrows that are light in color (Kaja has this too, just not super noticeable... it's more of a grey against the red on her face).

When she was a puppy, she was classified as a 'red sesame'... though now I think she might be just a 'sesame'? :P
  • @KevinDo88 I don't know what her classification would be for sure, no one has chimed in their thoughts. In the middle of her face is a mask that is red, and when she was a puppy all of her was that red... but when you look at her puppy photos, it was actually her face that had the most black in it! The colours reversed a bit as she got older.

And yes! White patches will start to show up -- this is called the urajiro. From my understanding, you will see the white marking show up along what is called 'ventral' points. So the light points along the inside of the legs, the chest, the inside of the ears, the muzzle, and the tail will start to define themselves better. The line of the shoulders and neck also seems to lighten up compared to the rest of the body -- you can totally see this in Kaja's pictures as she gets older.

Black and tan will also have the spots around their eyebrows that are light in color (Kaja has this too, just not super noticeable... it's more of a grey against the red on her face).

When she was a puppy, she was classified as a 'red sesame'... though now I think she might be just a 'sesame'? :P

So for Rosie, the white is all over her torso :-P. She is getting lighter overall though. Is this just part of her spring shedding you think?
  • Hmm I see what you mean now! I'm not sure! I've seen dogs with black base and white hairs just showing up in the coat here and there like that. Maybe NK are the same --only it's more visible after a shed. Sorry I can't help -- though maybe another B/T owner of shiba or shikoku might know the answer :P

Kaja and I stumbled across some deer!
  • cool pic!

The couple of times Meitou has been close to deer he hasn't noticed them. But he always seems to know exactly where the rabbits and squirrels are.
  • cool pic!

The couple of times Meitou has been close to deer he hasn't noticed them. But he always seems to know exactly where the rabbits and squirrels are.
    She didn't notice the deer at first (neither did I) until it ran right past us. Then she got interested!

HAHA and yeah. Something about the little animals, right? Birds, rabbits... and just something about them squirrels.

Kaja loves going to doggy daycare -- she just plays and plays, and then falls in to a coma when she gets home! Trouble is she burns so much energy playing, and has less interest in eating, so I have to feed her extra when I get her home just to fatten her up xD