Japanese Akita and purple tongue

edited February 2016 in Akita (秋田犬)
Some japanese akitas, though rarely, have black or purple spots on tongue. Is it generated by ancient crossbreeding with chow chow, or is it another kind of problem?

Comments

• edited February 2016
    No, it doesn't come from cross breeding with Chow Chows. Its not "another kind of problem" either... its just an undesired marking, not a 'problem.' Anyway, it is an inherant part of the Nihon Ken gene pool, though you see it more on brindle dogs. Thus many Kai have tongue spots.

There's a post about it on AKC's site:
    http://www.akc.org/press-center/akc-syndicate/ask-akc/black-spots-on-dog-tongue/
  • edited February 2016
    So the black spots or marking on Akitas tongues are an undesirable trait? Both of my AA's have had those. I love the liver spots that used to be common on the AA'S, especially the legs. They both also have black spots on their feet.
  • edited February 2016
    Thanks @PoetikDragon! Now it is clear for me! In Italy the purple/black spots on akita's tongue are defects of disqualification in expo and I was curious to know it. Thanks!
  • My Kai Ken has no tongue spots, however my GSD has 3 tongue spots!
  • My Kai Ken's tongue is almost completely black. The NIPPO judge told me it was not a strike against him, but to not double up on that and "find him a girlfriend with a pink tongue"... :)
  • If only they weren't half siblings.. :P
  • In NIPPO tongue spotting has long been seen as being a result of past cross breeding, which is why it is not preferred in the Nihon Ken. Since most Kai have it, it is allowed to a certain degree (vaguely not more than half the tongue). In NIPPO, a marking up to the size of the tip of a pinkie (or thereabouts) is allowed without point deduction. Anything larger is a fault. Many Hokkaido have tongue spots as well.
  • My shiba had a quarter-sized spot on his tongue, too.
  • KKA doesn't mind a dark tongue, though, does it, Shigeru? @TheWalrus
  • @WrylyBrindle KKA is okay with spots, but more than half the tongue shouldn't be black