Meet Rosie the Shikoku-ken

Meet Rosie-chan, our Shikoku-ken who was born on October 3, 2015. Thanks to @TheWalrus for helping my wife and I with welcoming this charming little monster into our family. Also, @RikaChan has been very helpful answering questions we had about bringing a Shikoku into our home. Those two provided a huge help in getting our minds and our home ready.

She was born a third the size of her siblings, so @TheWalrus took care of her up until 3 months where we stepped in. This is our first puppy, so we wanted to see what it is like before we decide on getting her a companion. She's a handful that's for sure.

Also, she hates Shibas, espeically male Shibas. I'm not sure why, but there's definitely a hate relationship going on.

The first month we got her, she was so tiny

But fortunately she got bigger and bigger:

And more feisty!

We couldn't have asked for a better family member. Although, her coloring confuses people into think she's a Shiba. A guy at a dog park was absolutely sure she's a Shiba because he was confident she didn't have the Shikoku-features -_-

Thanks for reading, and thank you allowing us to join this community!

Comments

• Hah! She's so cute! I especially love the scratch spot video. TK, my Shikoku, has the same scratchie spot.

Congrats on your new addition! Black and tan in any Japanese dog seems to be mistaken for a Shiba very often, but she certainly looks Shikoku to me! I love the black and tans. :) I would die for a black and tan Kishu some day, but I don't think that'll ever happen...

Good luck with her! I'm interested to see how big she turns out, with how small she was...
  • Awesome! We have two shikoku, Katsu is a red sesame, and Miyuki went from red sesame to mostly sesame as she got older. Katsu always gets a confused Shiba.........? Miyuki gets Husky?........mix? Life with a Shikoku is great, if you like the outdoors, or if you want a calm relaxed dog indoors. The famous On-off switch is something I love about them. They're calm indoors, and outdoors they just want to roam and be free.
  • Hah! She's so cute! I especially love the scratch spot video. TK, my Shikoku, has the same scratchie spot.

Congrats on your new addition! Black and tan in any Japanese dog seems to be mistaken for a Shiba very often, but she certainly looks Shikoku to me! I love the black and tans. :) I would die for a black and tan Kishu some day, but I don't think that'll ever happen...

Good luck with her! I'm interested to see how big she turns out, with how small she was...
    I played with some of @TheWalrus Kishus when we visited him. I haven't seen any darker colored Kishus at all. Are they pretty rare to come by? Good luck! They seem pretty high energy like Shikokus, if not more.
  • Awesome! We have two shikoku, Katsu is a red sesame, and Miyuki went from red sesame to mostly sesame as she got older. Katsu always gets a confused Shiba.........? Miyuki gets Husky?........mix? Life with a Shikoku is great, if you like the outdoors, or if you want a calm relaxed dog indoors. The famous On-off switch is something I love about them. They're calm indoors, and outdoors they just want to roam and be free.
    Is the color change seasonal or is it something they transition into as they get older? Rosie's black fur is starting to light up with white/red strands every now and then.

• I played with some of @TheWalrus Kishus when we visited him. I haven't seen any darker colored Kishus at all. Are they pretty rare to come by? Good luck! They seem pretty high energy like Shikokus, if not more.
    I have seen some pictures of dark sesame Kishu Ken (sort of similar to what you would see on a black sesame Shikoku) and I have a sesame Kishu Ken, so they do come in different colors. I've only ever seen two pictures of black and tan Kishu Ken, though--however, one was not NIPPO registered and the other was from the 80s or 90s, if I recall correctly.

Colored Kishu are pretty uncommon. About 70% or more of the breed is white.

• Cute pup. Hope she continues to do well for you. :)
  • Oh, she's adorable :) can't wait to watch her grow!
  • She's adorable! She looks tiny, too, I can see why people think she's a shiba. Throughout the course of owning a Shikoku, you tend to get told what your dog *really* is a lot, lol.
  • She's sooo cute! Best of luck to your little girl, can't wait to watch her grow!