Progress for Hokkaido Club: 1st Litter Born in North America

2»

Comments

• They're probably black and tan with brindle on their points, making them look super dark right now... if Yezo can throw black and tan puppies.
  • aykayk
    edited September 2015
    @zandrame - I was looking at the baby pictures of Achwi and you can pick out individual red/yellow hairs throughout his body at 2 days of age in the photos.

So, I'm thinking brindled black/tan since I can't spy any lighter hairs on the body.

@Crispy - Yezo could also be carrying recessive black. Ay/a instead of Ay/at.

When combined with black/tan, it'll look like black/tan with smaller tan points. at/a
  • That's true! Hokkaido appear to have recessive black. I forgot about that.
  • We will know for sure I guess when I test the litter and Yezo.
  • Puppy nuggets! Waaah, so cute~! I know which puppies are my favorites, lol
  • So cool! Very shallow of me, but I love the color variation in this litter. It'll be very cool to see how they develop! Congrats :)
  • Yes I love how varied everyone is :)
  • Alright, so I think I got some official names for the babies, and decided to go with some Ainu names. Post is here: https://hokkaidousa.wordpress.com/2015/09/21/special-visitors-and-puppy-names/

"We have had some very special visitors the last few weeks.

Thank you Jennifer for bringing Kiba and Taro (Kai and Shiba) over to play with the dogs and for taking Shiba puppy photos.

Also thanks to CJ for stopping by with her Kishu Krew and Kamera…She got some wonderful shots of momma Genko and babies:

Puppy 1 and Puppy 2 are now “Tora” and “Kurasi”

Tora is the smaller brindle boy, and although I wanted to use Ainu names for the pups in honor of their heritage, his owner in Europe wants to name him in the Japanese style. It means “Tiger”, and it’s a great name for this guy who is a little survivor.

Kurasi is Ainu for dark. She is the darkest puppy.

Puppy 6, the very white male on the left, is now “Retar”, the Ainu word for white.

His brother puppy 4, the white pup with lots of red, is named “Yukar”, who Meitou the white Hokkaido picked out :) Yukar are Ainu heroic/epic stories. Yukar is sure to have some of those about him.

Puppy 3, the large black/tan/brindle girl, is now “Kunne”, which is Ainu for black.

And lastly, her brindle sister, puppy 5, is the largest girl of the litter, and we decided to name her “Umma”, which means horse. I think it’s a very pretty name for this not so little girl. These two girls will be staying on a bit longer so I can evaluate which is the better fit to take over for Genko.

I checked several of the available online dictionaries for Ainu translations…I hope they were accurate! If you the readers see an error there, please let me know. I would hope I am not unknowingly calling any of them “Bilge water” or “Outhouse” or something unflattering lol.

One more thing, thank you SO MUCH for those who have helped me fulfill some of the Hokkaido Puppy Amazon Wishlist https://amzn.com/w/35CA4TV83KTJO

We got a couple orders already, and another big box of puppy pads!"
  • Love the names. :) Kunne is nice one!
  • edited September 2015
    Yukar is now my favorite. :P
    Are Tora and Kurasi the only ones with definite homes at the moment?
    I was also wondering if Genko, Yezo, and the puppies will be added to the Hokkaido Pedigree Database?
  • Lemme see if I can keep it straight:

I want to keep Umma or Kunne, not sure which yet. Tora should be a world traveler soon...and I have 3 homes I'm still interviewing for the others. I would still like to find a good cooperative home for the girl I don't keep for myself and possibly one of the white males. I still haven't made up my mind on final placements. Ideally there would end up being 3 total from this litter, 2 girls and a boy, who are kept intact and go to cooperative homes (and one of those would be with me).
  • Ah, I see. :) Thanks for clarifying.
  • For those interested in following Facebook updates for the Hokkaido breed in North America, the club Facebook page is

https://facebook.com/hokkaidoHANA
  • Recent updates:

https://hokkaidousa.wordpress.com/2015/11/04/8-weeks-old-hokkaido-puppies/

My pick male puppy (I am keeping his brindle sister Umma instead to carry on for Genko).

• My favorite puppy! :-(( He was so charming. he chewed on my hands an everything. he's also the one that playbowed Meitou and tried to get him to play. Kunne (also one of my favorites) was pretty interested, too, but Retar really tried! Retar!

Do Kunne and Kurasi have homes lined up already?
  • He is my favorite puppy all around still. He is a real performer and has that special something that is hard to describe...I haven't placed him yet, but would like to keep him local so he can be available to me later on for breeding. And yes re Kunne and Kurasi :)
  • I'm glad they've got homes. :) Are they local also? I seem to recall someone saying something about one of them going to Finland or something... Are any of the owners going to be on the forum? Sorry, nosey. :D

=(( I hope Retar gets a very awesome home.
  • Two boys are staying local to me, and two of the girls are staying in the U.S. with one to Europe. There is one other owner who is on the forum besides my self, but I have encouraged the others to join. I really like Retar a lot, and will wait for the right home for him. Umma is special, she fits right in with the other dogs :)
  • SixSix
    edited December 2015
    Such gorgeous babies how, old are they here?

I think I'm falling in love with the brindle colours. But I do love the whites too, maybe I'm biased because my white inuit boy is my soul mate :x
  • Umma has the same collar as Tavi!
  • They are 15 weeks now, thanks

Tain, sisters from another mother (and father).
  • I was just wondering how the puppies were doing. Thanks for the update! They're all growing up so cute! So Retar has a home in Portland? He'll be so close to me!
  • Great updates!

That video with Grym is super cute! :)
  • What handsome dogs!

When I was a child, my grandfather in Hakodate had a Hokkaido inu that was technically black and tan, but actually very black. No visit to my grandparents house could begin without that dog knocking me down and licking me all over!

I look forward to more pictures of this group.