Akita Inu Pup thinks she is a Shark....

edited November 2015 in Behavior & Training
I've got a rather mouthy (understatement of the year) 9 week old Akita Inu pup who just never stops trying to grab your body parts in her rather sharp puppy teeth. What's a good way of teaching a little bite inhibition that you find works personally?

Comments

• Ours was eaten by a shark!

photo 40D37324-23D5-40FE-B9C0-3D38EDB4681A_zpslvv7yfzr.jpg

I always had a chew toy around, and when Rollo got mouthy I'd give him the chew instead of whatever body part he was trying to bite. He wasn't too mouthy though. She should grow out of that as she gets a little bigger.
  • @TheYeti Hahahah! That's an adorable picture. And WOW, he's gotten really big!!! He looks really good :D

For Katsu, we did the same as a puppy. If I didn't have a chew toy on hand, I'd make an high pitched yip/say ow, then walk away for a while. Nowadays, if we just say ow, he stops and we praise him. He can get mouthy during play (but never bites down... arm hugs with his mouth, really) or nippy when he really wants attention. I've seen him nip other dogs gently in the same way. It catches my clothes, so I usually say ow or give him a firm no. We still praise him when he stops.
  • @emi802 forgot to add that, the high-pitched 'ow' when he bites too hard works really well, with a reward for stopping.

He's about 44 pounds now as of his last vet visit, nice shiny coat of fur and is pretty solid. He is really strong for his size too. When he really wants to go after something like a bird or a leaf he is a handful to rein in.
  • Lol that shark outfit is neat.

I've tried the ow thing but you sure as hell have to yell to get her to notice. The distraction with her ducky definitely works best. My Shiba was mouthy too, I just can't refer how long he took to grow out of it but I do remember he was very mouthy as well.
  • You definitely have to get the dog's attention with the 'ow'. You'll have to yell it out! It'll break her attack up at the very least.
  • My shikoku was very bitey as a pup. In fact, she acts very much like Katsu... and we do the same thing as Emi802 does. I echo the advice already given :)

Definitely get the dog's attention with the 'ow' as TheYeti already said. Make it almost a squeal if you have to!
  • Yeah if I make a noise like I'm being killed she does pay attention lol

She actually gave my face a lick this morning without trying to remove my nose!
  • I noticed when Katsu was younger... sometimes when I yipped, he actually got more into annoying me. I had to yip loud enough/sound in pain enough to make him think he hurt me. If he still didn't stop, I acted upset and walked away (closed a door so he couldn't follow me) to teach him fun time ends if he's biting too much. I found that when he realized biting me was bad/hurt me, he always had a moment of "OH MOM, IM SO SORRY. Did I hurt you? Here, have some kisses. WE'RE OKAY, RIGHT?" It didn't happen much at first, but it got more frequent as we were consistent with yipping/walking away. Now, it happens every time. So, just keep that up! :) She'll get it.