Kaja the Shikoku Ken!

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Found a couple pictures, so puppy spam commences once again.! :P

A little old, but this was when she graduated puppy class! That's a graduation cap on her head though it's hard to tell.

image Even more old -- when she still had puppy fluff! Playing with her sister.

And these last ones are the most recent! She had a good time at her kennel this weekend. They did Easter egg hunts and fun little photoshoots, lol. Kaja says "I'm only doing this because you promised treats."

She gets brought to the vet tomorrow to be spayed, and will get her hips checked too (just as a precaution). So I'll add another picture once she has the cone of shame on, maybe. Poor girl xD
  • Good luck with the spaying! Hope all goes well. She is such a pretty girl. Can't wait for more pictures!
  • Dawwwww! Kaja is too cute!! Hehe. I love that the graduation hat is just slightly too big for her so her ear is tilted. That happened for Katsu too haha. She looks so happy with the other dogs! How's the training coming along for her? :)
  • I'm loving that graduation photo of Kaja, too.
    She is growing up so pretty!
  • edited April 2015
    She is growing up so fast! Haha and yeah her most happy time is when she's with other dogs. My brother just got a puppy and he's her new favorite toy. xD

Training is coming along well! Though I don't have the heart to do too much training with her for the next little while. I'll shower her with treats for the simplest things, she looks so silly in that cone xD

One BAD thing about the cone is that she's already a reallllly picky eater. The cone just makes it more difficult. I'm thinking I might cook up some special treats for her cone-days (something like satin balls) that will help supplement her meals. She already lost some weight this past week from stress and over activity. Brought it up with the vet and they think (in small amounts) it might be a wise idea. :<
  • Wow your shots of Kaja in action look amazing! I really like the ones of her playing in the snow!! Good thing I decided to switch over from the Kai Ken section for a bit otherwise I'd miss some eye candy... *comes to his senses* Oh nooos what have I done!! I'm betraying my team!!!! *ashamed* :O lol
  • For shame!!!!!!! Haha. Thanks! Winter is nice and photogenic. I'm looking forward to when she has her first summer and lake days too :D

So apparently Kaja bled a lot during the surgery, so I see little patches of blood on occasion where she lays down (not from the incision site, no worries). The vet says it might happen for the next 10 days or so! Aside from some brown urine and soft stools, she is eating and drinking and her gums are fine, so it looks like the spaying thus far has been very uneventful. Thank goodness! Our other dog had an even easier spay, since she didn't spot at all, so I was slightly worried until I talked to the vet, haha. :)

She really digs those neck scratches.
  • It's good to hear that everything's going to be fine with Kaja! How long must she wear *hushed whisper* The cone of shame..... :-S
  • About a week of shame, haha
  • ah that's not so bad then! Looking forward to seeing more of her adventures once she's all healed up!
  • edited June 2015
    Been a while, so here's some Kaja! She loves to play, is a really friendly girl, and is getting better at 'sticking' to me when I have her off lead! Also, she tried the river recently! Loves wading in, but not so sure about swimming yet. Went absolutely nuts going up and down the river bank, though.

People always get a kick out of her at the parks. If another dog has a toy she wants, she will plop herself down in front of them, crawl on her belly, and talk at them to try and give it up. She's not very persuasive, but sometimes it works! She also loves playing fetch, too. I'm glad, because it was one thing I really wanted to do with her. Sometimes, I look over and see a bunch of balls beside me, because she brought them over while I wasn't looking. She is such a great dog.

On to the photos! :)

• The face in her first picture!! Priceless.
  • She's gotten so pretty! Looks like she loves that Frisbee :)
  • @emi802 She did! And it wasn't her frisbee! It was the other dog's! But they had a great time playing tug of war with it :)

• I noticed that Akashima kennels has updated their dog list! Kaja's sister (Sakura) and brother (Kiba) are up there. It's hard to tell from one photo, but I think her and her sister look kind of alike -- http://www.akashima.bc.ca/shikoku-dogs.htm -- and I see there are puppy pictures updated at the bottom as well! :)

In a litter of four, Katja kept two... a girl and a boy. It's neat seeing how litter mates end up looking as they get older!

• Katsu demands more pictures of kaja!
  • Tochi is having puppies in 2 1/2 weeks, as well.
  • edited October 2015
    Hehe alright @jigzzor ... here's some more Kaja!

She's a year old now!

And for anyone browsing the forum who is interested in seeing how big Shikoku are compared to other dogs, these are some good comparisons of Kaja's size, I think, too. Though I don't know if Kaja is the norm for size or if she's considered small.

• OOOOOOO SO CUTE. I think females tend to be about that size. Also keep in mind shikoku fill out around the middle of their first year. Katsu is 1 year and 3 months but he's still getting bigger. At this point i'm pretty sure he's stopping in actual height but the vet says he has more muscle to grow into.

ALSO MORE PICTURES.... or instagram your dog lol! How is she with other dogs? Does she have resource aggression with toys? Katsu is rough when he plays with toys and does that same stare that kaja was doing
  • edited October 2015
    Good to know! Yeah she definitely has some filling out to do! I guess the next year or so (for her and Katsu!) will be the 'thickening' year? Hehe.

She doesn't reaaaaaaally have resource guarding. She shares food/water with our other dogs no problemo. The worst she does is if a dog has a toy she wants (hers or not), she will lay down in front of them and talk/bark/make noises in hopes they will play or relinquish it. She will happily share a bully stick or a toy and chew it on one end while the other dog chews another end, though, haha.

It's funny when my brother's pit/catahoula cross (big thick muscled dog) finds his little nylabone from when he was younger. It's only a hand or so in length, but him and Kaja will both lay down and chew it at the same time (in between wrestles, that is).

• Not. Funny. Looking at these pictures I want shikoku again! ;)
  • I love that picture of Kaja hanging over the seats in the car. Cute!
  • Sheeeee's sooooooooo prettttyyyyyyyyyy <3
  • Those pictures are so cute. She is such a nice looking Shikoku!
  • She is adorable! How much does Kaja weigh now?
  • edited October 2015
    @shikokuspirit She weighs 28 pounds... which I think puts her as a real light weight? I feel it's a struggle to fatten her up.
  • Soo cute!! :)
    And yes, she will thicken up/gain weight with time, don't worry too much!
  • My 7 year old female, Kotomi, is 35 lbs. So Kaja isn't too far off.
    = ( ^ - < ) =

I have had trouble keeping weight on my dogs with kibble but when I feed raw they maintain weight pretty well. They get a little fat. =P
  • Kaja thanks everyone for telling her how cute she is, hehe

@shikokuspirit Ah good good! I imagine Kaja might fill out to be around Kotomi's weight, then. I read some people's shikoku are around 40-50lbs, so I sometimes get a bit nervous about how little she weighs :P
  • The males get that high and some females (like my gluttonous pig at 42-43 lbs). :) I've actually decided to cut her weight some so she'll look all svelt in time for the UKC show.

Jesse