New Brindle Hokkaido

2»

Comments

• He looks awesome! I really like his brindling. When I was first scrolling through, the first few photos you posted were kind of small, and I actually thought he was a baby tiger for a second. :p
  • edited July 2015
    I
  • edited July 2015
    I
  • @lindsayt that's not a problem at all! I actually did a write up on him already and lost the whole thing lol so it's just a matter of me retyping the whole thing again.

I can honestly say that from what I've read about the Hokkaido breed and having one there's a lot of myths I'm seeing. The breed, or at least Kaji, isn't very different than any other pup, maybe even easier to deal with because of the fact the breed wants to please their parents so much when told something a few times he really listens and refrains from the unwanted behavior. Like I said there's quite a few things I want to speak on this breed because I'm very impressed with his behavior.
    With Kaji I'm amazed at how much he wants to please. Without much effort he picks up on things I like and things I don't like. When told a few times not to chew on furniture or shoes along with replacing that item with an item that is acceptable to chew on, i.e all his chew toys, he picked up on not returning to objects other than his toys in about a day.

One thing I've heard about hokka is that they are very loud. This has been far from the truth with Kaji. I've only have whining or barking when he was in his crate and wanted to go out for a potty break which has be going pretty well I might add. When he first experienced a really strange new sound like a ceiling fan for the first time, or a glass brake he'd bark some or make his strange hokka snarles. But he doesn't make pointless noise at all. Any time he makes noise its for a purpose. And believe I'm happy about that.

Let's talk about energy. Kaji does have a good amount of energy in the morning but to me it seems more like puppy energy. Once I take him out for a walk or to the park for an hour or two the rest of the day he's pretty normal and calm. Nothing I haven't seen in other pups. As a matter of fact the huskies I grew up with had way more non stop energy than he does. I feed him "The Honest Kitchen" so I know he's getting plenty of good nutrients and he's had his vet check and is in great health. I really think he key is burning that morning energy and then they're just another relaxed dog just wanting a cool floor to lay on and something to chew.

Now to the infamous "Velcro/separation anxiety" stigma attached to hokka. Welp, once again not with this little one! Now when I first got him he would follow me like a shadow almost which has drastically gone down especially at home if I get up and go to the bathroom he'll raise his head check on things and go back to his business. Moreover he did absolutely fine being left alone from the beginning. I would put him in his crate walk off and listen... If I heard whining I would wait till it stopped usually within a few minutes and then return. Once he realized I was coming back and would stay silent I'd give him a treat. Mind you this was all in one day. After that he was fine with me walking off. I have to add that I have taken Kaji out on drives, walks, to dog parks, to visit family/friends, left him alone with family/friends and he's had no dog aggression or problems with adapting to new situations. The first day I had him he didn't want anything to do with strangers but after seeing a few people that whole trait went right out the window. As far as being left alone with family and friends he does great! Not once whining about me slipping away. He'll keep an eye on me when I start to make some distance between us but he trust I'm coming back. When I return he's excited to see me but is very relaxed with being around others. When I walk him he likes to stay in sight of me never going farther than about 20ft or so if we're at a park. Doing fine when I call him back, he comes running.

Training this breed to do things like sit, stay, ect will be a task I will admit. Though they like to please you, you'll have to have something worth their time for talks like that. He'll sit and stay for his food bowl but as far as treats he to focused on toys and sounds right now for that. Maybe when he's a bit more mature. I'll keep you posted on that lol.

House braking has been pretty straight forward too. No different that any other puppy would be. We've had a few pee mistakes but absolutely no poop accidents. He's really need good with that and sleeps a full 8 hours through the night without waking for the bathroom. But I do have him on a very regular schedule with food and play time so the has a bit to do with it.

I have plenty more to add if you have questions please ask away. I am by no means a writer but I'll do my best!

P.s this is the potty/food scheduled I follow and has worked like a charm!
    photo image_6.jpg

• @lindsayt that's not a problem at all! I actually did a write up on him already and lost the whole thing lol so it's just a matter of me retyping the whole thing again.

I can honestly say that from what I've read about the Hokkaido breed and having one there's a lot of myths I'm seeing. The breed, or at least Kaji, isn't very different than any other pup, maybe even easier to deal with because of the fact the breed wants to please their parents so much when told something a few times he really listens and refrains from the unwanted behavior. Like I said there's quite a few things I want to speak on this breed because I'm very impressed with his behavior.
    With Kaji I'm amazed at how much he wants to please. Without much effort he picks up on things I like and things I don't like. When told a few times not to chew on furniture or shoes along with replacing that item with an item that is acceptable to chew on, i.e all his chew toys, he picked up on not returning to objects other than his toys in about a day.

One thing I've heard about hokka is that they are very loud. This has been far from the truth with Kaji. I've only have whining or barking when he was in his crate and wanted to go out for a potty break which has be going pretty well I might add. When he first experienced a really strange new sound like a ceiling fan for the first time, or a glass brake he'd bark some or make his strange hokka snarles. But he doesn't make pointless noise at all. Any time he makes noise its for a purpose. And believe I'm happy about that.

Let's talk about energy. Kaji does have a good amount of energy in the morning but to me it seems more like puppy energy. Once I take him out for a walk or to the park for an hour or two the rest of the day he's pretty normal and calm. Nothing I haven't seen in other pups. As a matter of fact the huskies I grew up with had way more non stop energy than he does. I feed him "The Honest Kitchen" so I know he's getting plenty of good nutrients and he's had his vet check and is in great health. I really think he key is burning that morning energy and then they're just another relaxed dog just wanting a cool floor to lay on and something to chew.

Now to the infamous "Velcro/separation anxiety" stigma attached to hokka. Welp, once again not with this little one! Now when I first got him he would follow me like a shadow almost which has drastically gone down especially at home if I get up and go to the bathroom he'll raise his head check on things and go back to his business. Moreover he did absolutely fine being left alone from the beginning. I would put him in his crate walk off and listen... If I heard whining I would wait till it stopped usually within a few minutes and then return. Once he realized I was coming back and would stay silent I'd give him a treat. Mind you this was all in one day. After that he was fine with me walking off. I have to add that I have taken Kaji out on drives, walks, to dog parks, to visit family/friends, left him alone with family/friends and he's had no dog aggression or problems with adapting to new situations. The first day I had him he didn't want anything to do with strangers but after seeing a few people that whole trait went right out the window. As far as being left alone with family and friends he does great! Not once whining about me slipping away. He'll keep an eye on me when I start to make some distance between us but he trust I'm coming back. When I return he's excited to see me but is very relaxed with being around others. When I walk him he likes to stay in sight of me never going farther than about 20ft or so if we're at a park. Doing fine when I call him back, he comes running.

Training this breed to do things like sit, stay, ect will be a task I will admit. Though they like to please you, you'll have to have something worth their time for talks like that. He'll sit and stay for his food bowl but as far as treats he to focused on toys and sounds right now for that. Maybe when he's a bit more mature. I'll keep you posted on that lol.

House braking has been pretty straight forward too. No different that any other puppy would be. We've had a few pee mistakes but absolutely no poop accidents. He's really need good with that and sleeps a full 8 hours through the night without waking for the bathroom. But I do have him on a very regular schedule with food and play time so the has a bit to do with it.

I have plenty more to add if you have questions please ask away. I am by no means a writer but I'll do my best!

P.s this is the potty/food scheduled I follow and has worked like a charm!
    photo image_6.jpg

• I'm super glad to hear it and I was getting that sense after spending a lot of one on one with Genko...they really are IMO a charming breed of dog. I would totally own another. And I 100% agree on their desire to please and do what their person asks. Genko listens and responds really well after asking only once a lot of the time...my Shibas are much more persistent then the Hokka I have met are.
  • I am hoping with more accounts like yours and other new puppy owners in the states, it will help clear up some of the bias that currently exists based on just a few bad experiences 1 or 2 people have had with the breed.
  • @lindsayt I hope so as well. And please id like to help in any ways possible with HANA. I wouldn't mind having another hokka pup sometime in the future! I can be your east coast connection lol.
  • @lindsayt I hope so as well. And please id like to help in any ways possible with HANA. I wouldn't mind having another hokka pup sometime in the future! I can be your east coast connection lol.
  • I really like all the Hokkaido I have met. They do really seem to want to please. While they are vocal, they don't seem *more* vocal than my Malamute was - about the same. They're chatty, but it's never for no reason. My experience has been limited to a couple meetings with Meitou and Genko and one brief intro to Katana, but they are a charming breed with a lot of potential. They're quickly becoming one of my favorite of the NK - especially with repeated meetings.
  • Wow, Kaji is SO pretty. I love his brindle pattern. And it's great to hear about your experiences with him. I hope things continue to go well for you!
  • @emi802 it's a very beautiful brindle. People keep saying he looks like a hyena lol!

@crispy it definitely one of my favorites with a strong running with the kishu as well I'd definitely like one to be a pack mate for Kaji!
  • @emi802 it's a very beautiful brindle. People keep saying he looks like a hyena lol!

@crispy it definitely one of my favorites with a strong running with the kishu as well I'd definitely like one to be a pack mate for Kaji!
  • If Meitou and Fionna are any indication, Hokka and Kishu can compliment one another nicely. I'm sure they can also be a little tornado of disaster, too, though, lol.

Meitou is one of Fionna's favorite friends. :3
  • Oh my goodness, Kaji is adorable! And that brindle is pretty impressive.

I agree with the what you say on the vocality (I may have made that word up) of the Hokkaido. I've never found Meitou to be as vocal as other people say Hokkaido are. He'll make noise, but not in any obnoxious way. He actually makes less noise now than he did as a puppy in most cases. Plus, I think Hokkaido noises are cute. :3

I apologize if Meitou contributes to the 'myths' around the Hokkaido. We are what we are.

@lindsayt I would also love to help out with HANA in some way. I don't know what you might need help with, but let me know if there is anything.

@Crispy Meitou has fun going on hikes with Fionna. :3 I think they would have been a disastrous duo if we had hiked them on that trail with those horses, lol.
  • edited July 2015
    Those are really nice observations, and it's great that he is fitting in so nicely with you! I love brindles and Im looking forward to following Kaji as he grows up!

This thread now reminds me, though, that I think that- as a forum- we need to self-modulate a little bit better with making breed trait declarations (and corrections and denials) based on puppies and young dogs. This happens here a lot.

@WhoBitMe- you didn't create any myths here. You have been nothing but fair, transparent and loving with your stories of Meitou. You have never sugar-coated it, and you have never flamed out, so do NOT feel guilty! You, Brad and Angela have been really clear, knowledgable and fair about Meitou, Genko and Yezo. :)

I think though that there's a reactive pendulum effect going on between ideal "My puppy doesn't do all those things!" and frustration "I need this dog out of here, yesterday!" extremes in what the Forum has had to say about this breed, and the others have been through it too: "Shikoku are assholes! No, they aren't! Well, okay yeah, I see now that they kind of are..." or "Kai are spooky! Well, mine isn't! (<- and that was ME I'm quoting, so I'm not off the hook either! :) ) Well, yeah, Kai flight is real and all owners need to be prepared for it just in case." The pendulum swinging results in denial, overzealousness and chips on shoulders ("I'll prove them wrong!!") and so forth. The less we swing the pendulum, the sooner we get good useful fair information out there so the future owners know what to expect in what realistic degrees.

There are less than 10 Hokkaido dogs on the continent, there is little written in English about them, and not a lot have been kept as home companions till now- the jury is still out, and you guys are writing it and in uncharted territory, but puppyhood is short- we need them to grow up and keep learning about the breed from the Meitous ahead of us. You live with the adult dog for over a decade and the puppy for just a year.

They are all NK, and they will all become dog-selective as adults and graduate from the dog park- remember that we chose them over one of the 'easier' more dog-social companion breeds, hopefully because we enjoy an interesting relationship with a partner who has something to say.
  • @WhoBitMe - "Oh crap, horses... maybe... another trail." I got Fionna a new bell that CAN'T come off her collar, for the next time! :)

I think that @WrylyBrindle brings up really good points. It'll be good to see Kaji grow through the forum and see how he matures and what you have to say about him through everything. Even with my Kishu, who have a bit more information out there, I ran into quite a few different obstacles I wasn't aware of until they were happening in our lives - but it's been fun, overall!
  • I have had JAs that I acquired that seemed quiet and mellow at first.... until they really grew comfortable in their new surroundings (2-3 months). Then they began expressing themselves more, including being vocal, rambunctious, or toy possessive.

Something to keep in mind, too... behaviors may be "dampened" because the pup is still unsure and settling in. And likewise the pup may be more eager to please for the same reason.
  • aykayk
    edited July 2015
    In rescue, we referred to the adjustment period for an adult or near-adult dog as the 'honeymoon' period. It takes about 2 weeks before you start seeing the dog thaw out a bit.

For dogs obtained as young pups, it can start as early as 5 months of age.
  • Well to balance out Kaji's present near perfect behavior (hahaha)...

He was at my house for just over a week before I sent him to @Animalshaun. When I picked him up from his breeder, he'd never left the house he was born in other than for 1 trip to the vet, he'd never seen anyone other than the couple that raised him, and no dogs other than his mother. He'd also never been in a crate.

The first bit was pretty touch and go, and after the first night I actually thought I might have to discuss returning him to his breeder. He was under socialized, so pretty terrified of people and other dogs, he even panicked and shut down a couple times, and tried to nip me. He wailed like he was being murdered in the car on the way back from the breeder, and the first 3 or 4 nights I didn't get much sleep. He was pretty loud about just about everything.

But, he was a very quick learner. After a lot of patience the first few days, and a lot of easy going introduction to things, he started to be more confident, and since he was indoors with Baron the entire time he really seemed to feed off Baron's chill easy going vibe. It took a few days for him to start playing with Baron, but after the rocky initial start I was fairly confident I could send him over to the US and have him do well.

He's done even better than I hoped with @Animalshaun, and I think a lot of it is because of the type of understanding his owner has, and the environment Kaji is in (which is the only reason I finally relented and sent a Hokka in the first place). If he had been placed in the wrong home I think it could have been a much different story.

So, I try to paint the picture of the breed a bit black, and send Hokka pups to people who I think get the big picture and are prepared for any difficulties that may arise. Definitely not the breed for everyone, but they can certainly be a lot of fun.
  • @Animalshaun

How are things going with your pup?