Moro the Hokkaido

The hokkaido known as Mon-chan joined our family this last Monday. My kids decided to rename him after Moro from the Princess Mononoke anime where Moro is the white wolf god. They said she looks just like her after seeing her face off with Koga.

Following Koga around the yard.

Running after Koga into the rocky hills!

Still too young and small to follow Koga too far into the rocks :(

Play time with Koga

Comments

• Huge differences between Hokkaido puppy and Koga puppy. Moro far more rude than Koga ever was. She has completely dominated all the other 3 dogs around her, even Koga at this point! Plays rough and loves to poke with her noise. Keeping them as controlled as possible. Koga and Moro have their good sessions too where they just run around each other and Moro seemingly following Koga where he goes at times. She also loves to wrestle with the belgian malinois puppy. I've never seen a dog utilize her entire body to wrestle another dog. Moro often rubs her underside and sides all over the belgian all the while keeping that steady low growl throughout the wrestling session. Far more energy than Koga had as a puppy, but we hope to provide a variety of outlets for that energy with everyone giving them all constant attention or just letting all the dogs have a great time together! Today, the hokka and the belgian were wrestling too rough with lots of barks(belgian) and low consistent growls(hokka) to the point that our shitzu cavalier mix comes over to police them and tries in vain to get them to stop.
  • Moro also stays close to us when we take walks around the property, always staying within sight and coming close when called upon unlike Koga growing up who tended to run off out of sight before coming back at some point. Anyways, lots of energy and moro has become the center of energy for the entire group...
  • She is a spit fire, that is for sure!

It is cool to hear about the comparison between Hokkaido and Shikoku as puppies. :)
  • Having Koga just go through his puppy phase not so long ago, it is easy comparing the 2. Koga was quic, agile, and light on his feet when playing with another dog. Moro is more like a high speed bulldozer and just plows into you not caring who she runs into, even "innocent" bystanders. But she is only 3 months after all...
  • I love the pics she looks like she is in heaven exploring that yard!

Love the new name too that is one of my favorite movies.
  • Some more pics of Moro as he gets used to his new family.

Moro wrestling with sister Nina doing the stomach rub while constantly growling....

Those white eyelashes....

Not too noticeable tongue spots if any....

Shikoku chasing Shi-tzu, Shi-tzu reacting to Hokkaido, and Hokkaido reacting to Shikoku.

By the way, Koga has now reaffirmed his "dominance" over place in the pecking order over Moro. Strange thing to see how their interaction has evolved over the last week. No longer loud growls and extreme posturing. Quick growls by both with Moro usually veering away and becoming disinterested with the face-off.

Koga has now started to run up to Moro and poke her in the hind to get her all riled up to chase after him, but he is too quick for her. It seems as if Koga just loves teasing Moro to get that reaction out of him. If I can determine how to post a video of one such encounter I will post it here.

Rommel
  • edited August 2015
  • Congrats!
  • She's so cute!
  • @WhoBitMe

Hokkaidos are awesome as you already know :)

We just love the way she interacts with everyone, dogs and people. Koga and her pretty much get along now too and often play with each other.

She can be a bully....:)
  • SO CUTE!
  • Congrats, she's so cute~!!
  • edited August 2015
    How's the malinois handling her? Looks like she's kind of a handful for the malinois from your videos hahahaha

Edit: by videos, I mean instagram videos. Just in case someone tries to hopelessly search this thread for them.
  • @emi802

When Moro sees the Malinois, she run at full speed towards her and Nina immediately goes on her back to prepare for the encounter. It's funny to see Moro use her whole body especially when she swings her rear end and rubs her belly on her. Once Nina starts getting towards her 80 lb weight, Moro might think twice about playing the same way :-)
  • Yes, Hokkaido are awesome. :) I'm glad to hear that Moro and Koga are getting along better now.

Meitou has a pretty rough play style, too. :) I think he would likely play rough no matter the size of the dog, but he's never actually played with a dog his size or bigger before (I don't count my elderly Border Collie before she passed because she refused to play with Meitou). He really only plays with Avery, my sister's Chihuahua/MinPin (maybe) mix. And he plays rough with her when he gets excited...although he is actually pretty gentle with her for the most part (and let's her get away with murder, lol). He plays the same way with the cat (the cat does not like), but body slams the cat more than he does with Avery (the cat is several pounds bigger than Avery).
  • edited August 2015
    Great to hear she is settling in. I love your yard btw, what a great puppy exploring place. And the watermelon sharing pic is adorable.

Genko is a noisy player, too. She loves my male dogs and is ok with the young female dogs. She is only slightly busier then my adult shibas, and she too has an amazing recall.
  • @lindsayt

Thank you for the compliment! They have all day to just run around and explore, but we are always watching them closely as they find the strangest things...

By the way, how big is Genko now? We took Moro to the vet last weekend and she is weighing 17 lbs at 3 months. She looks bigger and heavier than 17 lbs though...
  • Well, Genko is a whopping 37# as of today, but that is because she has 6-7 puppies on board. 29-30 lbs seems to be a nice goal weight for her :) These Hokkaido are pretty sturdy stout dogs though and are heavier boned than Shibas, but still look similar size. It's not until you pick one up that you can really tell the difference.
  • LOL @lindsayt! And yay Genko! I hope to see puppy pictures soon! :D
  • So 4 month old Umma was 18lbs at the Vet...maybe Moro is going to be larger than Umma (a Genko puppy)
  • I will try posting latest pics when I get the chance. I think Moro is 40+ lbs, but haven't actually checked lately with vet. I know my Shikoku, Koga was 36 lbs last time he was measured, and Koga feels significantly heavier than him when we "try" to pick her up. Moro is now 8 months old, and her 1st heat cycle came and went at her 6 month point without incident(although very stressful for Koga) who was not allowed although not because he wasn't trying....
  • edited May 2016
    Here is Moro at 1 year old:
  • More pics of Moro

• The Moro Face she takes after:
  • Moro is so pretty! Even when she's covered in dirt. :)
  • Haha! The last picture makes it.
  • Wow she's as a beautiful girl...I know a nice brindle boy she could take on a date ;)
  • LOL, that would be something to meet another Hokka, especially a boy!!!
  • Oh my gosh!!! She's filled out so much :D Love how she's grown!