Kuro and I

Hi to all of You,
long time no see!

I haven't been very active in this forum, but now I'm trying to shape up. Summer is coming and maybe I have a little more time now. (For a while. ;) )

If you do not yet know who I am..
I'm Ronja, animal attendant and "dog trainer" student from Finland, and I have hokkaido, named Kuro.

In this discussion, I would love to tell you about our life: past, present and future. And maybe also hokkaido ken as a breed: what I think about it..
I already have a blog: www.hokkaidoni.blogspot.com but it's only in finnish. There you can see pictures, but my story can be difficult understand.

All comments, thoughts and wishes are welcome. :)

So, let's begin!

Comments

• Kuro is such a beautiful Hokkaido. :)

I check your blog out once in awhile it's nice love the pics.
  • edited April 2015
    Hi again @Kitsusi! I'm glad you came back :)

It looks like you and Kuro have been very busy since the last time that you posted here! What activities do you focus on with Kuro? and what is your favorite activity to do with him?

Edit: Oh, and what kennel did Kuro come from?
  • I love Kuro. :) I'm looking forward to hearing more about Kuro and what you think of the Hokkaido breed.
  • Thank you for your interest! (:

So, where to begin..

Kuro came to me in July 2010 from Hokkaido island, kennel Kitamishi.

2012 we started to going dog shows and now Kuro is champion of three countries and international champion. Other titles are Winner 2012, Estonian Winner 2013, World Winner 2014 and Swedish Winner 2015. I like being in dog shows: It's a nice hobby and you can see there new and old friends and dogs. I watch already actively japanese akitas, kais, kishus and shikokus situation in Finland.

2013 I started my school and other dog activities came to our life. These aren't any "backyard obedience" or "backyard agility" if you know what I mean..

Until now we have done: obedience trial, agility, blood tracking, tracking, rally-obedience, searching humans from forest, ruins and buildings (SAR). Object searching too..

We have been competing in Rally obedience, and two weeks ago Kuro got his first "training badge". So now we can compete in next class in rally-o, what is more advanced.

Here is some videos. First is old and third is... horrible. :D

a Little obedience and agility
    Rally obedience, second competition
    Rally obedience, third competition

I have been teaching for Kuro many tricks too. I can try to take a video some day.

What is our favourite activity.. It's a very difficult question.
    Well, Kuro likes to the most use his nose. Human and object searching, I would say.

To be continued..
  • Wow, Kuro does so many things! That's awesome.
  • That's really neat that he is imported from Hokkaido! Is he being used in any breeding programs? I think I saw a French kennel mention him?

You do a LOT of activities with him! So cool! :) Do you have a favorite activity? I have read before that Hokkaido have been used in Japan for Search and Rescue (nose work), and I'm seeing that Genko (my Hokkaido) is VERY interested in using her nose to find things.

Rally-O is something that I would like to do with Genko. What kind of training helped him prepare? Do you recommend some classes more than others for preparing to get involved with the sport?
  • @cezieg Did Genko not come from Hokkaido? Meitou did (Muroran, Hokkaido, I believe...).

@Kitsusi I want to see a video of all the tricks Kuro can do. :)
  • @WhoBitMe She did come from Hokkaido. Tokachi Morita Sou in Shimizu, Hokkaido to be exact :) There are several Hokkaido breeders in Europe though, so I had assumed that Kuro came from one of them. So it's cool to hear that he's an import, as his "type" is from the mainland, and not produced by an overseas breeding.
  • I'm sorry that this is taken so long..

Kuro has two puppies here in Finland. We don't have other breeding plans now.

My favorite activity? Well.. I am interested obedience and little bit agility too. But rally-o is something, what I like to do the most with Kuro.
    Yes, hokkaidos are very good nose users. It's their original use: find and stop bear/deer. Good activity at home is to hide toy or food for them. :)

I'm not sure did I understand your last questions correctly, but I try to answer.

In rally-o is important, that dog can walk next to you and it's obedient.
    Have you already taught for Genko something? Sit? Down? Wait?
    You should to start by teaching eye contact, I mean, that she watch you when you say so. For me, it is easier to help you if you tell me what you can do now, and what are your goals.

I will love to see when other hokkaidos are training too! So, videos please. ;)

@WhoBitMe Ok! I try to get some.. :)

We also have facebook -pages now: https://www.facebook.com/hokkaidoni

This is third Finnish hokkaido litter, these boys are now four weeks old.
  • Wow, Kuro has a lot of exciting activities, it's so great to see such an active owner :) he's very handsome!
  • @Kitsusi

I have Genko now, and think she would be great at agility and nose work. She is such a smart willing worker. Cute puppies!
  • @Kitsusi Those...puppies....are adorable! I want to snuggle them.
  • Thanks to all of you. It's a pleasure to know that someone will read these writings. ^:)^

@lindsayt You have Genko now? Oh, why? :o
  • I took Genko herding recently, she loved it!

@kitsusi

It's complicated, previous home had a change of heart.
  • Love the puppy pics. :) Your Kuro is so beautiful love how active he is.

Thanks for providing information it's very helpful for people who are interested in learning about the breed.
  • Oops.. Where the time goes..

a Lot has happened since last time I wrote here. Last December we got a new family member: Laulava Lintukoira Kumikatsu Kyuden Kitsune, from kennel Kyuden Kitsune, France. Her call name is Mai.
    Mai has brilliant japanese import parents: brindle Chiko and white Satsuki. Mai herself is black and tan brindle.

Photo from December

Mai has grown up nicely.

And she gets along well with Kuro

Kuro is already more than six years old.. I don't get it.. Where the time really goes?

Greetings! How are you and your hokkas? :)
  • I love Kuro and Mai. They're so cute! :x

Meitou is doing well. He goes on lots of adventures with me. :)
  • Mai is beautiful I love her name. I agree time does fly.