Upcoming Lure Coursing CATs - Update 11/17/15

Comments

• @CrimsonO2, the $20 (or $35 for two) runs are for the pre-reg AKC CATs, not fun runs. Is that what you intended?
  • I'm looking through the PDF and I don't see what the fun runs are priced at? I'm a bit behind on AKC registration so I figured fun runs were all I'm eligible for...I don't think I conveyed myself well to the coordinators regarding that aspect...

Jesse
  • @CrimsonO2, I think the SoCal Coursing fun runs are $2 (definitely no more than $5), no application required.
  • Yup, just got off the phone with Jennifer Gysler (pleasant lady). I'll be there by around 10:00 or so (thank jeebus I don't have to wake up early), do a few fun runs with my 2 (with the 3rd there for moral support possibly).

I'm excited!
  • Woooohoo!! @CrimsonO2, Saki will be there to do fun runs too! :D
  • Pictures of our NK attendees from 2/28 in Chino -

Kona

Kouda

Kimber

Saki

Kurenai

Kurama

Group shot!

Bonus pics
  • Neat! Do dogs have to be over a year for the fun runs?
  • @ayk, nope, fun runs have no limitations. No physical checks either so it's pretty much at your discretion. You can choose either the full 600 yards or a half course for seniors and small dogs.
  • edited March 2015
    Yay!! Awesome pics of all the NK @zandrame! :D @ayk bring the jindos! :D
  • For those interested, the April SoCal Coursing premium is posted. Registration is for official entries, not fun runs. Fun runs just show up:)

Saturday 4/4
    Winning Edge Dog Sports Center
    Chino, California.
    http://socalcoursing.com/events/scihc-akc-all-breed-coursing-ability-tests-2-3/
  • edited March 2015
    Highly recommend people to come and enjoy this. It's $2 for a fun run (and you can go as many times as you want in between the morning and afternoon runs!)! And in some ways, it's the better bang for the dollar. If you're doing an official run ($25? $35), if your dog stops to poo, the qualifying run is "over". If your dog gets distracted and stops giving chase to the lure, the qualifying run is "over". In a fun run, the course manager makes sure and tries to make your dog stay engaged. If your dog loses the lure, the course manager brings it closer and tries to move it back and forth to re-engage your dog to finish the run.

I'm looking forward to meeting the NKF crew out there again, may pack better with alcohol (and a soft crate this time)...not looking forward to the goat poop. :)

Jesse
  • These events look like such a blast! I'll be getting Genko and Ren into the runs up north in Oregon/Washington, and my sister will be getting Mika into lure coursing as well. Maybe at some point we can find an "in the middle" event to trip to and spend a day or weekend :) Love the pictures!
  • Bumping this up as a reminder to get paperwork in order (as I know I need to submit my AKC-FSS paperwork for my Shikoku).

Jesse
  • I checked out the AKC listings, and a few new ones popped up. Here are the CATs for March, April, and May:

March
    - Mayer, AZ (Mar 21/22)
    - Lewisburg, TN (Mar 21/22)
    - High Springs, FL (Mar 28/29)

April
    - Valley Center, KS (Apr 3/4)
    - Chino, CA (Apr 4)
    - Perry, GA (Apr 9/10/11/12)
    - Muncie, IN (Apr 10)
    - McKinney, TX (Apr 11/12)
    - Berryville, VA (Apr 12)
    - Asheville, NC (Apr 17/18)
    - Florence, TX (Apr 18)
    - Colts Neck, NJ (Apr 25/26)
    - Peyton, CO (Apr 25/26)
    - Hayes, VA (Apr 25/26)
    - Walla Walla, WA (Apr 26/27)
    - Eaton, OH (Apr 26)

May
    - Sallisaw, OK (May 2/3)
    - Cedar Falls, IA (May 2)
    - Danville, IN (May 6)
    - Union Bridge, MD (May 9)
    - Oak Creek, WI (May 9/10)
    - Roy, WA (May 9/10)
    - Hollister, CA (May 10)
    - Colts Neck, NJ (May 16/17)
    - Stevens Point, WI (May 16/17)
    - McKinney, TX (May 16/17)
    - Deland, FL (May 16/17)
    - Camarillo, CA (May 16/17)
    - Kalamazoo, MI (May 21/22/23/24/25)
    - Colts Neck, NJ (May 23/24)
    - Cathlamet, WA (May 23/24)
    - Fairbanks, AK (May 23)
    - Des Moines, IA (May 25)
    - Lima, OH (May 29)

@Kira_Inu!
  • aaaaah I have class on the April 4th one :((( maybe I ditch class that day? Or just wait for the one in june... these classes are all recorded and reading the powerpoints and papers are way more efficient than sitting through class...decisions decisions..
  • YAY Virginia is on the list!!! Thank you @zandrame :)

• The Chino June (6 and 7th) CAT Premium is up! There are 4 events (2 each day, AM and PM)
    http://socalcoursing.com/events/scihc-akc-all-breed-coursing-ability-tests-2-4/
  • We'll definitely be there both days! :D
  • I think I will bring the Jindo pups to the June 6 one for fun runs.
  • @ayk, awesome! :)
  • I had loads of fun watching the dogs run today. Saw Shibas, Kais, and a lot of American Akitas giving it a go.

I'm really happy that all the Jindos turned on and chased with enthusiasm. HoSu ran for the CA legs, and JinHo, Achwi, and HoSoon ran the fun runs.

Thanks for introducing us to the sport, @zandrame! We're hooked.
  • sorry I couldn't make it guys! Sounds like it was a blast. I got stuck repairing a shelf that gave way in our closet :(

Jesse
  • Lame excuse @CrimsonO2, lame. ;)

It really was a lot of fun, fun to see all the Jindos too! Kona appreciated getting to say hi to all the boys ;) And Kouda remembers he's friends with the kai girls, they were so cute! He got all kissy kissy with their faces, which, kona wasn't too fond of, but kimby loved it! :P

Next time Jesse!!
  • edited June 2015
    Took me a little bit, but I've got photos up! Videos are still in progress...

We had a really good forum turn out! It was a hot weekend, and Saturday had the largest number of entries ever (88!) so it was a long day, but it was nice chatting with everyone! Next time @CrimsonO2! ;)

@mdokic, yes! Kouda was on very good behavior with the girls. Kimby got lots of kisses and butt bumps from him, lol! I should have recorded them, haha. I hope they continue to get along. :D

@ayk, I was impressed with the Jindos, they were fun to watch. I don't know how to describe it, but they have a unique way of running with their heads held low and really lean into the turns. And it was funny how the boys were pretty nonchalant about the whole thing, until it was their turn to run, but the girls knew what was up right away. :)

New title holders!

HoSu, CA

Kona and Kimber, CAA

HoSu

JinHo
    this one is my fave -

Achwi

HoSoon

Kona

Kimber

Kouda

A few forum Shibas showed up too -

Sriracha

Kuma

Haku
  • that first picture of Kimber is the bomb!

what fun! Good job, all you coursers!!!
  • LOL @WrylyBrindle!!! Kimby cannot keep her tongue in her mouth to save her life! xP and the first picture of koners is so fierce haha

It was a great weekend, great job everyone!!

@zandrame, I have NO doubt him and kimby will, she LOVES everything about him! Kona did better once he calmed down a little hehe, we all love him ♥
  • @mdokic I love that shot of Kona, too. She is super intense! Congratulations to Kimby and Sis for her big ribbon and new title!
  • Love the photos! Really made my day that there were some of JinHo, Achwi, and HoSoon. I'll be printing out a couple for my wall. :-)

Good eye on the Jindos' leaning into the turns. I didn't noticed that until you mentioned it. I did notice that the adults were sometimes keeping their heads low for a mid-run snatch. I think it's the ground squirrel hunting influence there.

But the best photo has to be Kona with her ears down and her body fully stretched. :-)
  • So... we did that thing, too! Mostly on a whim, because there were day of show entries at UKC Premier today, and cause I'd heard all the buzz from NKF and some friends with AAs.

First, Godzuki... who wanted to chase, but when she heard the sound of the bags and pulleys, decided to head the other way. LOL! Oh well...
    "NOPE, nope, nope, nope...!"

But Mosura was awesome! She ran twice and qualified both times. We'll have to get her third at a later date, because tomorrow and Sunday are pre-entry only.
    And she's off!

Springy

Eye on the prize...

Mid-air course correction when the lure suddenly turned and she overshot.

She's flying in the tall grass

Akita butt! <3

Keep goin', you can get it...

Frothing at the end of the run, she started doing the same thing when we came back for the second run.

• @PoetikDragon great pictures! I'm glad you were able to try it! First JAs I'm aware of!

I'm envious of that nice green grass! :D