New Brindle Hokkaido

Hello to all!!

It's been awhile since I've posted on here. Well I've got some cool news in two short months I'll have a beautiful brindle male Hokkaido Inu flying this was. He's coming to live with me here in sunny west/central Florida. I'm really excited for many reasons. Hopefully I'll be able to help expand the genepool for the breed here in the states. And also I believe he'll be the first brindle Hokkaido here in the states. Hope to meet some more great folks here and some here in Florida. I have a pretty good plot of land I've recently acquired from inheritance (over and acer and a half) and hope to have my own small kennel on the east coast and help HANA out. i have photos but don't know how to upload from my phone

Comments

• Welcome! Yezo is actually the first brindle Hokkaido to come to the states, but he moved to Canada, so we are at the moment brindle-less in the US. ;) a sad state of affairs. Also it is interesting that all the US Hokka are in the farthest apart corners of the country (Oregon, New Hampshire, Florida...) that makes logistics challenging! I look forward to seeing your little guy. "Brindle is Better!"is my motto...
  • WrylyBrindle thanks for the response. I knew there was another silver brindle that was imported into the U.S. But I did hear he moved to Canada. And I hear you on the fact that all the Hokkaido are so spread apart lol. Fortunately I frequent Portland so that bridges the gap some. And I also totally agree with your motto just something about the brindle coat that's just so beautiful! I wish I knew how to post photos with my phone.
  • Oh, I see him in your profile picture! I always love the hokkaido small ears and big snow-paws! how old? and what's his name?
  • I have met and played with Yezo, he is really funny and sweet. :)
  • I'm pretty sure Shigeru sent a brindle Hokkaido to Colorado (not to Brad) last year.
  • That's not him in the profile pic buuttt hopefully he's coat is similar to that beautiful guy. His name is Kaji and right now he's 2 weeks. Losech, I do know he sent a Hokkaido to Colorado but I believe he was white or red.
  • Well then I stand totally corrected! Lol! In that case he's number 2 but still gonna be here to help the breed flourish! Is the couple who have him on here?
  • edited May 2015
    I don't think so, but I'm not very active on this forum anymore so they might be. I pop in and read stuff often but don't comment much.
    Anyways, congrats on the pup, and I hope you have fun with him!
  • The brindle pup isn't on the forum, I don't think. I'm glad to see more Hokkaido coming up, though! They seem like very cool dogs. I have started flirting with the idea of adding one to the Kishu Crew in the distant future. :3
  • Crispy That would be awesome I definitely plan to add a Kishu to mine hopefully by the end of the year. One with a colored coat.
  • Congratulations on your pup! That is super exciting. :3 Hokkaido are fun dogs. I love mine.

I think for posting photos you'll need to upload them to a photo-sharing site... I don't know about with a phone, though. I'm looking forward to pictures.

@Crispy Yes. You should get a Hokkaido to add to the crew. I approve of that idea. ;) A female because there are so many males now. Also, I think she should be sesame, so then I don't have to import a sesame female, lol. Yeah, my recommendations aren't self-serving at all.
  • @Animalshaun - My adult female, Nami, is non-white. She's a sesame. :D http://www.kishu-ken.org/nami

I like all the colors, but I really like to see vibrant reds in the coat, so my favorites will always have red pigment, lol.

@WhoBitMe - I would like a sesame. They're really stunning in the Hokkaido, but I was under the impression that they weren't exported very frequently or cost much more (or were from a line that generally cost more? I don't know.) I wonder how many white Hokkaido carry heavy sesame (aw agouti, like you see in Shikoku)... I'd take any pattern, tho.
  • @Crispy that's awesome she's beautiful! Looks like you have had a litter from her once. When's the next?! Lol I'd be very interested.

@Whobitme I'll figure out how to get the pics up and post them as they come
  • @Animalshaun - It's hard to say. Nami was actually placed with me as a companion. Her first litter was accidental (everyone thought she was infertile, but she bred to the Kishu she lived with and apparently proved everyone wrong). I don't have any plans to breed her again as of right now. I'll post about it, when/if I do, though!
  • @Crispy - There were some agouti Hokkaido that were in Europe. Their pictures are on the Hokkaido online pedigree database. I don't remember right now how many years ago that were though.

I hope you don't mind me mentioning it, Crispy, but @Animalshaun, Crispy does have a white female Kishu that might be available right now. She's just shy of a year of age.
  • Agouti Hokkaido in Poland back in the late 1990/early 2000.

http://www.hokkaido-pedigree.com/details.php?id=63177
  • Haha! Thank you, @ayk - I do remember seeing that Hokkaido, now that you mention it, back when I was creeping on the database.

I don't mind at all, about mentioning Fionna, either. :p She IS technically available. I somehow keep forgetting, if only because it's not the end of the world if she ends up staying. I guess I just hate feeling like I'm being too forward-- "WELL, Nami might not have another litter, but I do have THIS one..."

I don't want to blow up or derail your Hokkaido post, @Animalshaun, but-- Fionna's forum thread is http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/9281/fionna-taro-x-nami-updated-420 and she has a page on the website I linked earlier. It doesn't have all of her information on there, but it does have more pictures. http://www.kishu-ken.org/fionna.html

Of course, she isn't yushoku - somehow, Nami lost the genetic gamble in her litter. All of her puppies turned out white. She is a really fun dog, though, who I would be happy to answer questions about. :)
  • How exciting! Congrats on your new pup! Can't wait to see pictures. I'm really enjoying watching all these Hokkaido come to the states and hearing about people's experiences. Best of luck!
  • @Crispy she is a very beautiful dog! It really is amazing how all Nami had an a all white litter. What state are you in?

@liamarie thank you!!
  • @Animalshaun - I'm in Northwest Oregon, near the Washington border. (Basically the opposite side of the world!) One of Fionna's half sisters lives in Florida. Same sire, different dams. She might be the only Kishu around that area... :(

Fionna has had some interest, though, and has a couple meetings lined up over the next few months/summer time.
  • photo image.jpg

photo image_2.jpg

photo image_1.jpg

Hey there friends I finally figured out how to upload some photos of the little guy.
    Enjoy!!!!
  • He's adorable!
    I saw the posting for this litter on the Hokkaido puppy network and wondered if one of them was your brindle boy. :3
    He looks like he will be fun and energetic. Do you know around when you'll be getting him?
  • @WhoBitMe He'll be home on the 6th of July. I can't wait!
  • Also any one here located in Florida??
  • So sad he is so far away from Genko the black and tan Hokkaido girl :( Very cute puppy though.
  • edited July 2015
    Some updated photos of Kaji. I'll also be doing a write up on raising a hokka pup. It's been very pleasant actually. Easier than the huskie pups I grew up with, and the German Shepard pup!

photo image_4.jpg

photo image_3.jpg

photo image_5.jpg
  • @Animalshaun - Would it be possible for me to take a peek at his pedigree papers when you get them?
  • @ayk yeah that's no problem
  • He is a super pup, I would love to have a write up on him for my Hokkaido webpage :)