Playing

Hello ladies and gents,

I just recently rescued a Jindo about 2 weeks ago. She is thought to be 1 1/2 years old. She doesn't really know how to play with toys. I've tried balls, ropes, stuffed animals, squeekies, etc. She just likes to be petted. She sort of reminds me of a cat. Is this normal behavior for a Jindo or because of her unknown past as a rescued dog? I would love some insight and advice.

Comments

• Welcome!
    Two weeks is a very short time, and our breeds can take some time to come fully out of their shells. There are members here more experienced with jindos, so they will advise you better.
  • edited May 2015
    @ayk Is the resident Jindo expert, so hopefully she'll chime in.

That said, @WrylyBrindle is right, it can take a long time for primitive breeds to adjust and feel 100% comfortable in their new homes - months to even a year.

But on the other hand, I had a Japanese Akita puppy from my last litter I nicknamed "Captain DGAF" (does not give a F) after she outright failed everything in the puppy temperament test because she could not be bothered to care. We joked that she was born a miniature grumpy old lady and was not a puppy at all. To this day (I kept her as my pick pup) she has never been playful and mostly gets annoyed if other dogs want to play with her. She wont touch toys of any kind. Trying to engage her in play results in a long-suffering stare like, "What did I do to deserve this punishment?" In general, my JAs start acting like adults and lose their interest in play around 10 months to 14 months old.
  • Some Jindos do not have any toy drive. Even the dogs that have hunted and killed won't necessarily have toy drive.
  • I knew someone who got a Jindo pup to try to raise for Schuzhund. He had previously raised and trained German Rottweilers.

The pup basically acted like a grandmother and had no prey drive that he could work with. The pup was the wrong pup for the task.

There are other Jindos with high toy/prey drive though. The dogs that were an experiment for the LA and Glendale PD were selected based on high ball/prey drive. Three of my dogs have high toy drive.
  • My Jindo is picky with toys and generally loses interest rather quickly unless it's a plush toy that he can rip apart, especially with a squeaky in it. Being that I rescued my boy straight from the street, food is his motivation.
  • Kira loves praise and attention. Very much like a cat in get personality. She's actually quite affectionate. It's been about a month and a half now. She's not treat driven so training happens in a closed garage when I have her focus. She is very prey driven. When she goes into hunting mode, its like nothing exist around her except the prey. I saw her jump a 6'3 wall today to get a possum. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it happen. She's smaller than most Jindos I've seen.
  • Jindos are very athletic! My boy Yoshi was a great long jumper back in the day.
  • My first Akita came home at 9 weeks, was extremely quiet and our affection meant nothing. After about 2 weeks one afternoon we were in the yard and he exploded into life charging around jumping all over us. We were shocked at the serverity of the instant exuberance no gradual change.

As with Captain DGAF play was not important for either Mr Bear & Ms Yoko after about 3 repatitions it was why should I I've done that I think I'll have a liedown.

But when it came to obedience training it was full on and loved, one year it was the Aust' Football Grand final and I didn't know training was not on. Mr Bear was waiting to go, we got to the venue went in 2 minutes later heading for home with one very digruntled looking dog. He moped around the house for the rest of the day ignoring me.