Kuma - The little bear

This will be Kuma’s thread that I will update with pictures and info. I will start with the process and how I got him.
I had been looking at different dog breeds for my first dog (not really my first but one that wasn’t the family dog). I loved german shepherds, and huskies. Those breeds always drew me. I continued to web surf and then I took the breed quiz on animal planet for fun. It came up with the Akita as my only and top breed. I wanted a guard dog because I would be living on my own. I did some research on the Akita breed and fell in love. They were so majestic and powerful. I found two breeders I liked and talked with them about the breed.

Then I bought my first home unfortunately I found out that I couldn’t have an Akita because of insurance. I was bummed. My sister one night was looking through an animal kennel club book she had bought that day. She showed me the Ainu dog. It was like an Akita but not an Akita. I then proceeded with my research on that breed.
I soon discovered that they also had other names, Hokkaido Ken. I happened upon the HANA association. I tried contacting the administrators with no luck. They had links to the Nihon Ken forum and Japan Dog Export. I registered with the forum and found a wonderful community of people who loved the Japanese breeds as much as I did. I received wonderful advice and viewpoints from several individuals (@WrylyBrindle @cezieg @BradA1878 @WhoBitMe @Krisz
). Which was extremely helpful and helped me have a better understanding of this wonderful breed, I’m completely biased lol.

I also contacted Shigeru. He was awesome and very thorough. He also wanted to make sure that I knew exactly what I was getting into. Which now having Kuma I completely understand. This breed is not for everyone. Kuma is from one of the show kennels in Japan because I was not really into hunting. Mr. Sato also helped as well and physical went to go see Kuma and to give a look over. They sent pictures and video of the little goober sliding on the ice.
I went through the process and soon Kuma was on his way. I picked him up and took him home. The first couple weeks we got to know each other. I soon found out that he is not much of a cuddle bug but he always lies at my feet. He is particular about people. Either he LOVES you or he was nothing to do with you. I noticed this when I took him to Petsmart. I pay closer attention to his body language in public. He also can be snarky with some dogs. He always asserts his dominance no matter their size.

He is afraid of nothing especially at the house. When I had my washer and dryer delivered he immediately went to the door and stared down the delivery guys. He actually made them nervous. He also alarm barks at anything new or if he doesn't like it: people, animals and etc. :P Kuma is better behaved when it comes to pulling on his leash in the presence of other dogs. He is 15 weeks now and he shows more control then dogs that are much older than him, makes me so proud. He is also very partial to those who have mental/physical disorders. He is very gentle with them unlike he is with his mom sometimes. The little butt munch.

He is very easy to train. He has mastered sit and has very few accidents in the house now. Everyone falls in love with him whenever we go out. I always tell them about the breed and where he comes from. I want to try and promote the breed and preserve it here in the USA. I’m excited for what the Hokkaido’s future will be. I am planning on getting him tested for CEA. I hope in the future I can get my akita ;), not giving up on that one. Right now though is just focusing on preservation of not just the Hokkaido but all Japanese breeds. Also helping HANA in any way I can. I have been considering when I do move down south breeding but that will not be in the immediate future.

He recently went to the vet for his rabies shot and distemper and was 13lb.s. Growing so fast 

Comments

• This thread is worthless without photos. ;-)

Congrats on bringing him home!
  • Here's one picture up @sunyata :P
  • Love the picture love his face and love the puppy pic in your little icon. :)

Hope to hear more as he grows.
  • He sounds like quite a character! Needs more pictures please!

Genko is going to have so many suitors, lol! :)
  • I'm happy to hear he's doing so well. He really was a cute little guy, and fairly easy to handle compared to some of the other Hokkaido pups I've had here.
  • He's so cute!! Congrats on the pup, can't wait to hear more about him and how he contributes to HANA :)!
  • I agree. More pictures! I want to be spamed with Kuma's Hokkaido Puppy Cuteness. He's too cute to only have one photo in his thread. :)

I'd like to hear more about him and any of his adventures, too. :)
  • Congrats! :x
  • He is adorable and very nice. He has a big future ahead of him!
  • edited April 2015
    Heyyy! Welcome to you and little Kuma! About time he has his own little thread with pics! ;) He's super adorable!

That's so great that things are going well with him and that you two are getting along! I just picked up Genko last week too, so we'll have plenty to talk about! Speaking of which, I actually need to stop slacking and get recent pictures of her up haha.

Interesting that you first wanted an Akita and then went Hokka instead of Kishu, which is the next size down. There won't be any disappointment with having a Hokka instead of an Akita though, as they're such little characters! Super smart too, as you've found out. It usually only takes Ren (Kai) about two or three sessions of 10-15 repetitions to get a new command down pretty well once she has executed the right behavior and it's been marked. We're still on the road trip to Porland though, so there hasn't been much time to train anything outside of the bare bones "come here", "go bathroom", "car ride", etc.
    He always asserts his dominance no matter their size.
    Have you started puppy training classes with him yet? You'll find more success and understanding of his behavior if you disregard the common beliefs in dominance behaviors or interpreting behaviors as "dominant". NK have "dignity" to them, where they like respect from other dogs and don't appreciate intrusions in their personal space without a polite greeing where they inspect and get a feel for the other dog. Without that greeting then there's a good chance there'll be growling and a potential fight, especially with Hokkaido "talk" being misinterpreted as growling (which I've been experience all week lol). Being the "dog on top" during play is just play style too, and depending on the playmate will get switched around too. Ren (Kai girl) will usually be a slap boxer and ground wrestler, while Genko (Hokka girl) will be the one jumping on top of the other dog and wrestling from her feet, even though she's 3/4 of Ren's size haha. They're goofballs and Genko is definitely not the "dominant" party.
    I'm not chastising by the way! Just a perspective tip to help you be more successful with your little Kuma bear!

So how vocal is he? Genko has been like a mini Husky lol. Play growling, "I want to go do that/get that/see that" growling, play yodels, sad howls when crated... I need to start recording some lol.
    Is Kuma "sticky" too? As in he likes to stay within a certain radius of you when you're moving between rooms, etc?
  • @cezieg

Probably wasn't the best way to put that...He isn't really 'dominant' I wouldn't call it that. He likes control. Definitely doesn't care for other dogs overpowering him. Gets pissy but never full out brawls. I always introduce him through a fence with any potential dog he meets. Unless I'm at petsmart. I'm taking him to doggy daycare on saturdays. Which he is doing well at. I'm researching training classes to find one that seems good.

ALWAYS ALWAYS give me advice and suggestions. I will never be offended. I want to do the best job possible with him. I want him to be a good advocate for his breed.He is a little gentlemen though. I took over to my neighbors while I helped shear the alpacas. He was awesome with all the other animals. Wanted to play with the alpacas and was nervous about the horses. Don't blame him on that one. He was a quiet and laid at my feet.

His play is running around in circles with his tongue hanging out of his face. With the occasional tussle. He's such a loon.

As for being vocal. Not so much right now. He is fairly quiet. Only howl/cries when he can't see me but knows I can hear him. He is good in his crate never cries but I made sure crate was his happy place right away.

Stickiness is a yes. Even if the bugger is napping and I get up for a glass of water he follows lays on the kitchen floor then follows me back to the living room and naps again. In he woods he sniffs around but always is within eyesight. Of course he's on a leash but he nevers pulls to follow a scent. So he likes to see me at all times and is very aware of his surroundings. All ready my little guard dog. :D
  • Thanks for all the complinents/congratulations :)
  • Just sayin'...more pictures of Kuma are always apprecaited. ;) I'm glad to hear he is doing so well with you. :3
  • edited June 2015
    Sorry I've been having some trouble with the photos they are all set now. Most of these photos are not my own. They are on the East Coast meetup group. They are awesome pics and I'm stunned he stood long enough for some of them lol. @WhoBitMe
    @LiaMarie

photo FB_IMG_1433887622220_zpswckswpsk.jpg

photo FB_IMG_1434141267352_zpsyvzsrzci.jpg

photo IMG_20150517_161941346_zpsdy8l0ops.jpg

photo IMG_20150517_161854685_zpstqdejzva.jpg

photo FB_IMG_1434141278815_zpsc1jt0onv.jpg

photo FB_IMG_1434141296633_zpszuosrplf.jpg

photo FB_IMG_1434141302227_zpspqvbva8y.jpg

photo FB_IMG_1434141309448_zps6wybxwk1.jpg

photo FB_IMG_1434141328512_zpsph4r3pv6.jpg

photo FB_IMG_1434141333306_zpshqddvnqx.jpg

• Maybe this is just me, but I'm not seeing any pictures. Just the word "image." :((
  • Maybe this is just me, but I'm not seeing any pictures. Just the word "image." :((
    Same for me :(
  • He is a nice looking dude!
  • What a handsome fella he is, you got some great shots!
  • Oh, I finally noticed you got the pictures working! Oh my goodness, Kuma is adorable!!! Yes, so adorable I had to use three exclamation points. Can I steal him, please?
  • Nice pup with interesting color!
    I would like to ask Shigeru about this color:
    This is not a clear red, what called this color in Hokkaido breed? This is a red sesame?
    Red coat with black tips are called "sashige" in Shiba breed - as I know.
  • My goodness! He's cuuute. I saw his photos on facebook a while ago :D
  • Yeah, what would you call this color? I'd like to see a comprehensive list of Hokka colors, if there is one out there... I love see the growing rainbow of Hokkaido pups we have over here, with Meitou, Genko, Kuma... And there's a brindle coming over, too, right? Kuma is just so pretty. He looks like such a happy dog. How much does he weigh now, if I may ask? I know you said he was 13lbs back in April...
  • @WhoBiteMe - LOL...no :P

@Krisz - His color was one of the reasons I loved him. Not the light fawn red I was used to seeing. Not really sure what the official color would be. If you look at his face the hair closest to the skin is dark. His sister looks the same way and his brother is a deep red color

@LiaMarie - When he was weighed last he was 25lbs. Now he feels closer to 30 at 7 months.

@emi802 , @lindsayt, @Kira_Inu - thank you!!
  • Kuma's color is red. As @Krisz mentioned about the Shiba, it's considered sashige in the Hokkaido as well. In the HKH it's not considered a fault.
    I sent some pictures over to Mr.Sato of the HKH, and Kuma's breeder Mr.Yasumoto. They quite like his eyes especially, and it seems his siblings have turned out very nice as well.
  • Some pictures from today

photo IMG_0027_zpssqxwcbeg.jpg

photo IMG_0033_zpsije4lmbk.jpg

photo IMG_0032_zpsadk2tmco.jpg

photo IMG_0026_zps8bl4apef.jpg

photo IMG_0020_zps96pqztco.jpg

photo IMG_0016_zpshdak1ytt.jpg

photo IMG_0014_zpsgeihtojl.jpg

photo IMG_0012_zpsdtpi7suf.jpg

photo IMG_0011_zpsh0jnq1si.jpg

photo IMG_0010_zpsghk2s8tn.jpg

photo IMG_0009_zpsovgk8jr7.jpg

photo IMG_00081_zpsfdycpqi6.jpg

photo IMG_00071_zps1y6cdrxv.jpg

photo IMG_00031_zps0slynwpr.jpg
  • He's all grown up now! Kuma bearrrr :)
  • Kuma is looking beautiful thanks for keeping us up to date on him.
  • He's so handsome!
  • He's a stunning boy! Love looking through the photos.