Takeo - Lots of New Pic SPAM Updated 01.10.15!

Please meet, Takeo (Supassion's Akio Shin) who I'm honored to have join my family and officially have a 'pack'. He came to me just shy of 3 months old and is now 6 months old. I have been meaning to post for a while, but it seems having a puppy again is eating up all my free time!

Takeo hit it off right away with my shiba, Grayson. I introduced them on neutral ground and they play bowed and proceeded to run around like crazy. I really lucked out, Takeo has the same personality as Grayson and they have become fast friends. They play all day, nap together, then repeat that all day. They nudge each other on walks and always glance at each other. Grayson has been a great older brother, showing Takeo how to pee with his leg up and climb the stairs, etc.

It's been so rewarding to have them both and I'm beyond excited!! Now, for some SPAM :D - the really pretty pictures are taken by a photographer friend, much better than my phone pics:

(Edited to remove dead photo links)

Comments

• Handsome dude! I like seeing the color changes as Shikoku get older.
  • Aww he's grown so much! I love the snuggle pic :) Very handsome
  • So handsome! :)
  • Love the pics hope to see more soon.
  • FINALLY YOU POSTED SOMETHING! :P

So awesome~
  • I should speak a bit to his personality: Takeo is very happy-go-lucky always wagging his tail! Very curious, very food driven. He is quite vocal and sometimes a bit of an ass ( lol per other discussions on the forum -- so not surprising).

My challenge lately is not being able to predict his reactions, so far meeting lots of dogs, he can get vocal with some, sounding like a warning escalating from initial excitement. Other dogs he meets he is completely call and normal. Any advice? I don't want to limit his socialization too much for fear it would be worse.
  • From my experience, not even the greatest of all dogs trainers can predict why dogs behave differently towards select dogs. The best thing to do is to not encourage it.

Try speaking in soft tones to the other dog and slowly letting your dog approach. If that doesnt seem to work try redirecting your dogs attention.
    The key is to allow you dog to truly "Socialize" with other dogs. Not the most common socialization of "my dog walks past other dogs with no problems" take him to a park and let him run around and get to 'Learn' other Dogs reactions and body language (dog speech).

The above reaction usually happens 90% of the time becuase:

Either

1) One of the Dogs was being Dominate (MOST SIGNS ARE UNBEKNOWNST TO DOG OWNERS) and the other dog doesnt like being dominated

2) Your dog doesnt understand the body language of the other dog.- This usually comes from a dog not being allowed to immerse himself with other Dogs as a puppy. We have to understand dogs communicate with movements (like the Hearing impaired) so If you only know one set of signs (i.e. a middle finger- means hello to you), That means something completely offensive to me. I havent had the chance to learn that it means somethign positive.

Recap:)

Allow you dog to interact instead of following the natural "Human" instinct: Pull away.

P.S.- And if all else fails. Pepper Spray the other dog and let your dog rip him to pieces. J/K of course :) .... I needed a laugh.
  • edited December 2014
    Oh geez I just saw it's been almost a year since I've updated this post lol sorry for slacking! I've had fun lurking on the forums though.

Since all my photo links are dead I thought I'd start a new post with photo recap and two videos. The first three pictures were not mine. Takeo is still best buds with my shiba, Grayson - the fun never ends! I always want to film the shenanigans but they always stop when they know the camera is on (of course!).

We've made some good progress with training in the last year, of course we aren't perfect yet but we're working on it :) Now for some new and old SPAM:

4 weeks

6 weeks

3 months

3.5 months

5 months

Fun in the snow with his shiba brother! They play like this indoors and out.

almost 6 months

6 months

8.5 months

9 months

10 months

Takeo talking while playing with a ball

11 months

1 year old with shiba brother

With a birthday hat!

14 months

15 months
  • YouTube links embed best if you just click as if you are watching the video yourself and then paste the URL into your post.

Jesse
  • So photogenic (and you're really good at taking photos)! He's gorgeous. Do post more photos :). I also really like the harness you have for him.
  • Thanks @Crimson02 they're working now!

@emi802 Thanks I'm trying to learn photography, and Takeo is a really good model! He always smiles for the camera :)

Some more photos..

11 months - lol silly boys

13 months

14 months

15 months - Fun in the snow!
  • I want to photoshop things in underneath him in the last picture, like an orc, or have him in a fight in a dragon, ooh it could be the very last fight scene in the most recent godzilla. yeahhh
  • Takeo is stunning. His name always reminds me of the Tales of the Otori books. :)

I like how his harness has his name on it.
  • Those are some great pictures! I especially like the ones of Grayson and Takeo together! I like the comparison between the breeds. How tall are they? Takeo looks so big!
  • @cdenney lol I love that idea, might have to come up with a few funny scenes :)

@zandrame This is an approximate measurement as they are so darn wiggly... Grayson is 16" at the withers, Takeo is 20" I'll try to capture a side view comparison next time.
  • Grayson and Takeo seem to make a great team! You definitely get some fantastic pictures of them :)

I especially like the first picture where Grayson is sticking his tongue out at Takeo. It made me chuckle :P
  • My Shiba has nowhere near the playfulness yours has. He prefers to keep his distance from his Shikoku siblings:).

Wonderful pics!

Jesse
  • Love the play pics such fierce looking shiba. haha Saya looks like that it freaks people out.
  • The playing pics are so fun! Gorgeous pups :)
  • edited February 2015
    I thought I'd post another update!

Despite the crazy winter, Takeo has decided to blow his coat, so he's looking much thinner now. Poor thing...we're in a freeze of -40F for three days. He doesn't seem bothered by it though.

Here is a video of the usual shenanigans around my house lol Grayson, my shiba is the one that initiates play 9/10 times. If Takeo is playing with a toy (seen in video) it works out well, it handicaps him a bit so he's a lot softer in playing. Works out well.

Some recent snow pictures :)

We recently got another 10 inches of snow, so the dogs are hopping around, loving it:
  • Takeo and Grayson are so adorable. Love their frolicking in the snow.

Takeo is so handsome! The cuteness of his face kills me. And he looks so regal in the snow.
  • They're looking great! :) The first photo of Takeo makes him look so regal in the snow.
  • Those are some fantastic pictures of him! It's always neat to see them when they're puppies and then later on when they've taken a more adult shape, as Takeo has. He's definitely a handsome guy! I love that last shot where Greyson's showing 'tude right back to Takeo haha :D
  • Omg, they are the cutest pair lol! The way little Grayson waits and then does little pouces after him remind me of how kimber plays with kona...kona does all the crazy running and kimby slowly chases (or waits to cut her off)! :P Those snow pictures are awesome too :)
  • Love the play video! Such fun couple.
  • Wow! I am long overdue for some spam update, so I'll try to round out the year here lol I've been posting way less on facebook as well -- but now instagram is SO much easier! You can follow us at @graysonandtakeo.

Takeo is definitely a handful shikoku male, he is full of energy, has a silly personality and loves to be in everyone's face. Because of that though, we were having difficulty with dogs across the street, dogs in view, it was all TOO exciting! After a few months of working with a trainer, we've made amazing progress and have been able to meet up with new doggie friends. I'm so proud of how far we've come! We've bonded so well, I wouldn't trade him for the world :)

This year has been a whirlwind! Here's a photo recap of some random moments and highlights:

Takeo likes to squish his own face, I don't know why :D

Takeo randomly sat on top of Grayson's booster seat and decided it was comfortable on the edge somehow lol (Grayson gets car sick, so the raised view really helps).

When Takeo sheds, he gets a bad-ass mohawk, which I love!

He has also taken to sitting underneath our shower curtain, silly boy! He likes to weave in and out...

One of many weird sleeping positions...

Takeo turned 2 this year :) I do an obligatory bday hat picture!

Looking happy

We met up with Peggy (O'Ikon Kennels) twice this year :) She came up to Ontario for a dog show. This is Takeo playing a bit with Tomoko. They both kept giving each other eyes ;) But she didn't like him the second time! Takeo was very fond of her though :D

We also met up with Sora (@dsaveriano) a few times - who's looking mighty handsome! This pic is from a few months ago, awkward friends.

Looking handsome :)

Some yard playtime fun!

We also met with Maggie (@ajflaco) - she is so playful and sweet!

Some frisbee fun...

Headshot

I screenprinted my own "love my shikoku" hoodie :)

Takeo had his first dehydrated rabbit ear. I get a bit grossed out but he REALLY liked them!

Best buddies! Grayson and Takeo still play like crazy every minute they are not napping :)
  • I love Grayson and Takeo. :) Good thing I follow you on instagram already so I can get all the updates as they happen. :)
  • ooo which litter was takeo from? I always love how cute he looks and how striking his face is.
  • @jigzzor Takeo is from Supassion's B litter. It was just him and his sister :)
  • So envious of your snow photos, they are fabulous and Takeo and Grayson are absolutely stunning :x