Kai ken dog for good home (Rancho cordova)

edited January 2015 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Received this via a google alert...

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pet/4835161376.html

Comments

• Wow, is he a forum dog?
  • I don't know @lindsayt ... from what I understand he's a Classy dog.
  • "Not good with our baby"

Sigh....
  • I guess everybody's situation is different. It would be terribly hard for me to give up my Kai Ken. I hope this dog finds a happy home soon.
  • I just emailed them. I'm in Lafayette about an hour away.
  • edited January 2015
    I will put this out to the Sacramento Shiba Inu Meetup members ASAP!

1) contacted the Craigslist ad poster and let them know that the Sacramento Shiba Inu Meetup has been notified about their ad
    2) Distributed the ad to the meetup membership. Included the Nihon Ken Blog Kai Ken profile from the Walrus. Asked meetup members to let me know if they decide to adopt this guy. If so, I will link them up with Brad

• I spoke with the owner this morning via email. A kai owner is going to check out the dog. She said it's a Classy dog, but it sounds like she doesn't know who Marian is, so maybe this dog was already rehomed once? I asked her, but she hasn't emailed back.
  • From what I have been told this dog has shown aggression issues. Aggression towards human and other dogs. This dog has been involved in several bites with a young child.
  • Wow that sounds bad. How are they other dogs doing that were rehomed from that kennel?
  • I'm not part of the Kai world so excuse my ignorance here, but wouldn't the breeder be taking the dog back to rehome- isn't that standard practice? (Assuming the breeder is ethical and I would hate to think that there is *already* shitty Kai Ken breeders being they are so rare in the US).
  • one would think that, but there has been more than one instance where this breeder becomes incommunicado when owners call out for support OR the owner feels like they can't approach the breeder either due to embarrassment or a poor quality relationship with the breeder. :(

Does anyone know the end of this story? Is he still in that home?
  • Have no idea about this dog's status.

I contacted the owner via Craigslist--and never heard back.

I let the Sacramento Shiba Meetup members know about him. As far as I know, none of the members contacted the owner. (At least no one told me that they had contacted the owner.)
  • Definitely a Kai from Classy. He's the spitting image of Kage (Classy Kai that is part of Kiyomi and Arashi's pack), and the behavior issues sound the same.

@sjp051993 If this Kai is of a similar nature, which sounds like it is, he's going to be near impossible to rehome. Kage charges me in an aggressive way, which doesn't bother me as I know it's a bluff. His play initiation is an aggressive charge as well, which more assertive dogs would definitely take the wrong way. Lack of social skills + established aggression is going to be tough :\ Looks like the ad was deleted though.
  • @cezieg how old is Kage? I wonder if they are litter mates
  • @sjp051993 I believe Kage is about 7 years old? He's definitely not in the double digits, and I know his owner has had him for at least five years
  • Not litter mates then
  • @cezieg, @sjp051993, Are you talking about @klwhitworth70's Kage (who also has a Kiyomi and Arashi)? Based on post dates, I think he's only 3-4 years old. http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/178020#Comment_178020
  • edited February 2015
    @zandrame Yup! I only heard his age once so I didn't remember off the top of my head. Ren just turned 3 though, and I was pretty sure he's a good couple years older than her. I'll have to ask her for the exact age :)
  • I've been off the forum for quite a while. Is there any update on this Kai? Does anyone know which dogs from Classy are showing these issues? This is important for future breedings. My Classy dog, Hello Kitty is mentally sound as are her first litter but it is a matter of concern.
  • I am the owner of Zuko we still have him he has never bit anyone or whatever some of you thought he did. He is from classy kennels and we got him at 9 weeks old he is now 3 years old. We have a 1 year old and he is territorial with Certain areas of the house but mainly he is fear driven even though we did everything by the book to socialize him other dogs and people. For some of you that I did not respond to I thought we had a home for him and was waiting that out I am sorry if you got no response if anyone has ideas for me that would be great.
  • Have you reached out to his breeder for help- what did she say?
  • I have recently just left a message nothing back yet. I am just worried that she will want me to ship him back and there is no way I am doing that it would be bad for him. He is quite odd he is so fearful and I am worried he would even be more weird after. That's why is as trying to find him a home with no kids or other dogs. My husband and I strugle every day just keeping him but there is just an uneasy feeling about him because he is so unpredictable and we plan on having more kids.
  • Maybe she can help you find a good home for him with her knowledge and connections. Maybe people contact her looking for adult kai at times, or someone who knew a sibling or loved one of his parents. I hope she can help you place him!
  • @Kmerritt I just emailed you. I live in Lafayette. I can't take him. I have an aggressive female. But if you want me to come out an assess his behavior I'm happy to.

I have heard a lot of people spreading rumors about this dog biting. Just because this is a Classy dog, let's not go there. Koda is a Classy dog as well, and probably the most well behaved Kai dog.

I wouldn't send him to Marion. Living in a kennel seems like it would be too stressful for him.
  • @kmerritt- private message me thru this forum w your contact info and a write up on Zuko if you would like me to share info with the Sacramento Shiba Inu Meetup members. I can help you look for a home for him that way.
  • edited March 2015
    @kmerritt Awesome that you're here :) It's definitely not all of the Classy dogs, as Kage is the only one that I've met with behavior like Zuko. My Ren is half-Classy and only has the timid side, but not quite "fear". He does look exactly like Kage though, so I'm wondering if they have the same parents. Do you know who the parent dogs are?

I don't think sending him back to Marion would be the ideal, but at the same time it's going to take some serious screening to get him to the right owner that won't just give up on a dog who needs some patience. That may be something to think about if Marion does offer to take him back and then screen new homes for him. I do hope he finds a home that fits him!

@zandrame You're correct on his age by the way. I just thought he was older based upon his appearance. He's on a diet :P
  • Zuko the Kai is in need of a home still/again. For info, please contact Tara Tjbart17@yahoo.com She is not on the Forum anymore, so you have to email her.

photo 11880930_10207872867008041_835332189_n_zpssjd8v6rq.jpg
  • Zuko is now in a temp foster home and scheduled to move into a longer-term foster home in mid-September, due to the collaborative efforts of some Shiba and Jindo folks.
  • @sukoshi_mom - That is excellent news. Hopefully they can work with him to figure out his fear issues.