Solid Black Kai?

OOC, are there any solid-black kai? [ as in, NO brindling whatsoever, not just a "light brindle" ]

I know with Dutchies & Mals, if it's Brindle [ even a slight brindle ] it's Dutch, if it's Fawn / Sable it's Mali, & If it's Solid Black it's a Black Mali...

Just curious if Kai tend to produce puppies with no brindle whatsoever. [ I know sometimes there's brindling, & It's just hard to see or only appears in certain lighting, but I'm strictly talking about a solid black kai ]

I know there are cream kai, so I'm wondering if solid black kai are ever produced.

[ I guess this is more of a gene thing than anything else tho? ]

Likewise, there are Cream Shibas, Shikoku, Kishu, Hokkaido, & Akita...are there any solid blacks that show up in these breeds tho too? ~

Comments

• edited November -1
    hmmmm good question. I don't think so, but I met one that had a red undertone that was so difficult to see.

There is a big difference between Koda's brindle and Maymay's. Hers is less defined and has more big stripes. I found a guy in Taiwan online who has a Kai with her same coloring. His comes from hunting lines. I'm sure that makes no difference at all. But his dog and Maymay seem to have similar personality traits. Moreso than Koda and Maymay.
  • edited November -1
    There are black hokkas, very rare but they do exist.
  • edited November -1
    Yes, you will get solid black Kai. Breeding Kai with little brindle over successive generations will eventually produce Kai with no visible brindle.

I'm sure Ayk or someone with knowledge of genetics can explain whether it's a genuine black, or whether the brindle is just so dark that it's not visible. Truth is they're out there.

Just like white/cream, it's a fault, and they are disqualified in the ring. However since brindle in Kai can show up as they get older, it's permitted to show solid black in the puppy/juvenile classes.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks guys!

It was just sort of a mild curiosity. We talk about brindle kai [ aka-tora, chu-tora, etc. ] & cream kai, but I've never heard mention of solid black kai so it sparked my curiosity ;)

Didn't know there was black Hokka, I wonder if the "solid black" shows up in any of the other NK. ~
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    Here's my current theory about the Kai's coat colar genetics. I added on a few more items since the Mai Tai and Kaito thread.

================================================================

With regards to brindle genetics in dogs, it's known that there are 3 alleles on the K loci that controls dominant solid black, brindle, and normal. The priority goes this way:

K > Kbr > ky

K = dominant solid black
    Kbr = less dominant brindle stripes
    ky = recessive normal color (no black added)

There is some unknown modifier that makes the brindle stripes appear differently from breed to breed though. Thin, defined stripes vs. wide, blurry stripes for instance.

In the Kai, there's most definately the Kbr gene in the breed. I'll bet that they have the K gene in the breed. I'll venture that there may be ky in the breed but rarely found homozygously.

These are my newest guesses on the genetype/phenotypes in the Kai :

K K = solid black
    K ky = solid black
    K Kbr = mostly black with slight brindle
    Kbr Kbr = more even distribution of brindle
    Kbr ky = red brindles

ky ky = red with no stripes (Assumed to be possible, no pics yet)

Example of a possible K K or K ky:

Examples of a possible K Kbr:

Examples of a possible Kbr Kbr:

Example of a possible Kbr ky:
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    BTW, there now exist DNA tests to determine if a dog is carrying dominant black (K), brindle (Kbr), or no added black(ky). If one was really dying of curiosity to know if their black Kai was carrying a really weak brindle or no brindle, they can look into doing a DNA test. It's an easy enough thing to correct through selective breeding though. One generation should do it.
  • edited May 2010
    This is a Kai, could this be an example of ky ky?

----
  • edited November -1
    Very very interesting. Roberta told me that Marian pretty much had this all figured out as far as genetics and family history and how to throw red brindles in litters.

Brad, did you ever pick Marian's brain on this?
  • edited November -1
    No, I never had a conversation with her about it, and I don't see any Akatoras being produced in NA anymore either. :oT

----
  • edited November -1
    They're so pretty though :(
  • aykayk
    edited May 2010
    Brad,

If the red dog has black whiskers or black hairs, then yes, that would be an example of ky ky. (Technically Ay ? , ky ky.) The same as a red Shiba.

If the dog has red whiskers, then the dog is like a very dark cream. Similar to Irish Setters, Golden Retrievers. The genetics behind this would involve the E loci, not the K loci.

Are akatoras completely gone from NA? I remember not too long ago, Marian had produced this pup.

I searched for the original post and this pup was produced in 2007 out of DAIICHI AKA TORA and EN NO INOCHI. Brad, have you seen Daiichi in person? Does he have black whiskers?
  • edited November -1
    Daiichi is kohji's dad, I met him at a dog show and if iirc, he does have black whiskers! His mom was Suki No Inochi who looked solid black from the pic on Marian's website. Suki's pic isn't up on her site anymore tho
  • edited November -1
    Yes, I met Daiichi, I have no idea about the whiskers - so I'll yield to Kelly on that.

Daiichi is Kona's grand sire, too.

I think the red Kai above, who is Mochi's grandmother, has black whiskers.

As for Akatora in the US, if any are still being produced since 2007 then I have not seen them. I could be wrong, but I know for sure that they are not easy to come by.

I think the line-breeding the kennels have been forced to do, due to the lack of new bloodlines, has pretty much killed the chances for vary many Akatoras to be produced - that's just my guess tho.

----
  • edited November -1
    I dunno if it is interesting to you, but I have Kona's ped online: http://kai.yamabushikennel.org/males.html
  • aykayk
    edited May 2010
    I wish I could see pictures of the dogs in Kona's pedigree. Looking at Kohji, I'm thinking that there must be some potent modifiers, making black lines very thick, in order to explain how Suki could come off as appearing solid black but obviously still carrying brindle to pass onto Kohji. Wonder if my theory needs to swap K for Kbr+modifier.

Daiichi is still a mystery to me. It's not typical for a red dog (Ay ?, ky ky) dog to start off as nearly cream as a pup and darken to such.

imageimage

There are some other light red dogs on Marian's webpage. Hiko looks similar to Daiichi but Sam looks more like a cream with his light nose?
  • @ayk So is Kais "true" colour sable?
  • Brad produced one pup that was a black-masked, yellow pup.
  • there's another Nazo in a litter in Japan last year, too.
  • I want to see nazo as an adultß
  • If I understood this right all Kais are Ay (dominant yellow aka sable) and then they also have dominant brindle gene Kbr. So in fact there isn't solid black Kais (because they all have Ay), their brindle pattern is just so thick? And Nazo is, genetically speaking, sable and don't have Kbr gene. Jeeez, I now understand why we only speak black, brown and red :D.
  • So then is Nazo ky ky? If so wouldnt breeding him to a dog that is K Kbr have the chance of producing the brindleless black Kai (K ky)? That is of course if ayk is correct. Side question: does anyone know if Nazo is going to remain intact?
  • aykayk
    edited January 2015
    I've been told by the boxer-corgi geneticist that kbr gene is a blend of Kb and ky. Explains why some brindles in some breeds tests out as Kb.

There was an article somewhere how brindle Japanese Akitas actually have the dominant black gene.

Methinks that their kbr just has more Kb attributes than other breeds.

Methinks something similar could be going on with the solid black Kai. But AFAIK, no one has done a coat color DNA test on any Kai to confirm or not.

Just to make things more complicated, I'll throw out there that I have a dark brindle Jindo pup out of a red dog and a red brindle dog. My friend tell me that in mouse show lines, the difference between dark "sooty brindle" and "clear brindle" is whether the mouse has any additional darkening genes such as grey. I have sable-grey on the dad dog's side and the mother dog tests as Ayaw.
  • Forgot to answer the direct question. Yes, Nazo is kyky.
  • edited January 2015
    I see a lot of similarities in the way white markings and brindle are passed on to offspring. When you breed two JAs with white socks or neck markings together, the offspring tend to have more white than the parents. When you breed two medium-striped brindle JAs together, the brindle offspring tend to have heavier black stripes than the parents. White begets more white, and brindle begets more brindle.

King Ghidora (medium-heavy red brindle) x Bijo (red) had red brindle pups that were heavy, medium-heavy, and medium black stripes. One darker than the father, two about the same, and two lighter.

King Ghidora x Karin (medium-heavy silver brindle) had red brindle pups that were all heavy black stripes. One silver brindle pup also heavy stripes. All darker than the parents.

Since the Akita black/brindle study was brought up, my dogs that I have tested for K Locus came back as Kbr not Kb. King Ghidora and Karin are both Kbr,ky. Mosura (not yet bred) is Kbr,Kbr.

ETA: There was a stillborn red male in the litter from King Ghidora x Bijo, which confirms that he carries ky and the DNA test was right.
  • edited August 2015
    Onyx Flowers Crop1

I am no expert. I don't know the lineage of my dog, however I would like to share that she had the most soft, beautiful all-black coat I've seen, without any noticeable brindle. I guess I fell in love with her, not because of her beautiful appearance, but because of her independent attitude but positive, adaptable demeanor, and ability to become a great companion. We were best friends; because of her good behavior we went everywhere together.
    I know she was a unique individual, however I would like to open my home to another canine friend with similar attributes. I find this discussion interesting because I got Onyx from a rescue so I did not believe she was a purebred, therefore I thought her solid black color to be an unusual trait from a mix of breeds. Then I saw this interesting thread. How to find another dog with features like hers? Any suggestions?
  • edited August 2015
    Sorry, the photo in in the link still does not appear in the post, however it appears when you "click" on the photo. At least when I click on it. It shows as "public" in the Flickr account. I'm not sure what's wrong at this point. Argh. My apologies.
    But clearly, she looks like the photo posted long ago by Sangmort, I think.
    Ultimately, I my goal is to find another young black Kai with a positive disposition like Onyx's when one comes up. If a good dog in another color comes up, I would love her for her own personality ;)
  • edited August 2015

I am no expert. I don't know the lineage of my dog, however I would like to share that she had the most soft, beautiful all-black coat I've seen, without any noticeable brindle. I guess I fell in love with her, not because of her beautiful appearance, but because of her independent attitude but positive, adaptable demeanor, and ability to become a great companion. We were best friends; because of her good behavior we went everywhere together.
    I know she was a unique individual, however I would like to open my home to another canine friend with similar attributes. I find this discussion interesting because I got Onyx from a rescue so I did not believe she was a purebred, therefore I thought her solid black color to be an unusual trait from a mix of breeds. Then I saw this interesting thread. How to find another dog with features like hers? Any suggestions?