NKs health

2»

Comments

• edited June 2013
    @WhoBitMe - Technically, if testes do not drop by 8 weeks of age, the dog is a cryptorchid. However, as mentioned above, sometimes, especially in our Kai imports, they can drop very late. The latest I have seen is 9 months. I would say, if they're not there at a year mark, then it's time to neuter.

The health risk of not neutering a dog who has retained testes (one or both) is that the testicle will start to produce estrogen and can become cancerous. This takes many years tho, so waiting to a year or so is not a big concern.

From my experience, while we certainly do want to breed away from Cryptorchidism in any form in our Kai Ken, it doesn't seem to cause reproductive issues. However, from my own personal experience, it is mos def a hereditary issue.

Whether you neuter a dog that eventually drops both testes, but very late, is a call that needs to be made looking at the whole picture of the breed. If it's not a common issue in the breed, then I would neuter. If it is a common issue in the breed, then I would consider the population - if it's a large population with lots of other males to chose from, then I would neuter. If it's a small population with very few options, then I wouldn't neuter due to this issue alone.

ETA - Just to be clear, as I know how some in dogdom love to twist words: I would never breed a dog who had a permanent retained testicle. I would, however, consider breeding a dog who had a late dropping testicle, if that dog was part of a small population and would add value I felt was greater than the defect.
  • @lindsayt @brada1878 @TheWalrus Thank you for all that information, and the link! I really appreciate it.
  • I see a lot of cryptorchidism in the Kai, and now in the Hokkaido as well. Of course kennels tell me it's not a problem in their breed, but they don't check, and are not worried about it until it is time to show the dog for the first time at over 6months of age. I have had several pups that exhibit what Whobitme has experienced with Meitou. The testicles are there, and then not, and I think that is explained in the article I linked. If I remember correctly, it was Ann that sent me that article.
    I've been working on a post about health issues in the Nihon Ken. It's just taking a bit of time to put together.
  • let us know when it's finished, would love to read it!

But about cryptorchidism - when one testicle never comes down you should neuter/spayed the dog ?

Here in Norway we are not allowed to neuter dog's without medical reason...
    But i have never heard about people that have had this issues on dog's have neuter, and i know about few Shibas that have this problem where they never get 2 testicle only 1 that drops down, the other one you can feel but it never comes down / or you can't find it!
  • Adding this here too http://nihonken.blogspot.fi/2014/10/corneal-endothelial-dystrophy.html

How many of you have done eye examination? Ife is has been checked three times and in October the vet found scar from her eye. It might be corneal dystrophy or just a cat's scratch, we have to wait and see. Nuuk is tested twice and so far his eyes are okey.
  • But on a whole... They are both pretty healthy dogs. They are hardy, enjoy all types of climate and generally do not cause me much grief. Other than my accident prone Nola, I rarely have to go to the vet for anything other than routine stuff. :)
    Oh dear god... I totally jinxed myself. :-/ One brain tumour, two hypothyroid dogs, three strokes, and hundreds of seizures (and thousands of dollars) later...

@MirkaM - A few years ago, Bella was diagnosed with stromal corneal dystrophy, but up until recently her vision was not affected. She went to the vet a few weeks ago due to some clumsiness and general grumpiness. The vet diagnosed her with macular degeneration and the early stages of canine cognitive dysfunction. (See, even more jinxing...)

I am not sure if that helps you at all, though. As of now, there is no medical treatment that we are pursing for the eye issues since her food has a pretty decent amount of zinc in it already (zinc can sometimes help slow the progression of macular degeneration).
  • @sunyata - OH NO! I'm so sorry to hear about Bella's issues lately, poor girl. I'm sure you've mentioned it before, but where are your girls from again? Future issues concern me, even though Kira isn't even 2 years old yet. I already can't imagine her not in my life.

Will you still be able to bring B&N to the Spring Mountain Bike festival this year? I'm preparing myself this time - Robin brought the trainer to my place and I'm diligently using it so I don't feel like I'm old and dying this time around! :))
  • Rereading this thread reminded me that I should have Matsu's thyroid test done (for his resume- we haven't done that one yet) at his annual vet visit next week- so thanks for reviving it!
  • Same thing here... We are going to the vet next week to remove one of Ife's P1 so maybe we'll take the test then. She started to grind her teeth last Summer (she does it occasionally while sleeping) and some how managed to break her tooth :/.
  • That post made me sad, @Sunyata. Even sadder to think that those of us who were dealing with dogs with health issues, only Nola is still around. :( But I'm glad she is!

And then seeing Brad's post about the Kai, well, that did in Leo's chance to be a stud like his father, Akashi! We neutered him when the second testicle hadn't descended at a year old. Well, it probably made my life easier as he was quite the marking machine before the snip!
  • @Kira_Inu - Bella is likely from a puppy mill. She was purchased by my ex for me before I knew that such things existed (from puppy find, of all places... :-/ ). Nola is from a breeder in TN who is aware of all of her issues (and even though they are likely not genetic both the sire and dam have been pulled from her breeding program).