Lure coursing for Akita inu

edited December 2014 in Hunting & Working
Im not into killing other animals i only let my dogs go after squirrels or rabbits if i'm positive they can't catch them...lure coursing seems like an interesting alternative since my new akita pup really has a high prey drive..is there anybody with information about it and where can i get my own machine?image

Comments

• Your can play with coursing on many levels- some people live in areas where there are clubs that hold all breed coursing events (some clubs are sighthounds-only). The AKC has an all-breed/mix coursing ability test (dogs do need to be over 1 year old though). Getting a machine (difficult to find- hundreds of dollars) and setting it up in a big field for one dog is a bit of a cost/benefit mismatch though. What we do at home is play with a lunge whip with a lure tied on the end of it :) Lunge whips are in the horse section of your local Tractor Supply for less than $20, and they are much stronger (and reach longer) than the toys sold 'for dogs' in catalogs. You can tie a fur tug (genuinedoggear.com has loads of these- very tough!) or the standard plastic bag used in many coursing trials to the end and drag it around. Incidentally, this is an excellent tool to practice some self-restraint "Wait--- OK! get it!" or to use a chase reward for training other things.
  • oh yeah thats similar to a flirt pole i didnt think of that...i will give it a try ^:)^
  • but would you know where i could get a machine im just interested in how it works
  • I would also advise you find a club and attend events. Where are you located?

For AKC, the dogs have to be a year old so they don't injure their joints.

But for diy, check this out.
    http://kominekafghans.com/index.php/instructionals/122-diy-lure-coursing

For purchase,
    http://wickedcoursing.com/products.html
    http://www.injoy-1.com/catal_1.htm
  • im located in brooklyn ny, but i travel through philly and jersey almost every weekend
  • I have an older version of this one and it works well with my shiba boy: http://shop.wickedcoursing.com/ZippityDog-S-non-leveler-model-ZDS.htm

Not much on Long Island or the surrounding cities, but there are a few in NJ and CT.
  • A little quick searching -

Empire Saluki Club, holds CATs in Colchester, CT
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Empire-Saluki-Club/152999621417039

Lehigh Valley Coursing Club, doesn't appear to hold CATs but allows all dogs at practice events, Ringoes, NJ
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lehigh-Valley-Coursing-Club-LVCC/131731366895382
  • Wow. Great info @Zandrame and @Calia

The lure coursing equipment my husband found was 1k+ and I said forget it. But those links you provided is making me think about getting it for Jackie and Bootz!
  • oh, there's frequent lure coursing at the polo field in Colt's Neck NJ. I took Juno to CAT trial there... look up these guys http://www.pawpalspca.org

wow-even the diy set up was $1000...
  • yeah i seen the diy project and it cost more to make it than to buy one but honestly i think i could build it for way cheaper than a thousand bucks
  • a remote control car with a bag or plush squirrel seems good enough lol
  • To be fair, the DIY project I linked is comparable to ready-made units which retail for more. So with that, it can be surmised that you can make one for cheaper than you can buy. ;)

In any case, it's a good idea to be familiar with the mechanics of the machine, because they are always breaking down or needing repair. From what I've seen, I'd even say the compact ones fail more often.
  • I got the cheapest one that Wicked Coursing had available. It was on sale for $100, so not bad compared to the cost of other machines.

http://shop.wickedcoursing.com/Wicked-Coursing-Machines-for-Dogs_c2.htm;jsessionid=36DA6A47302F61CC17EEFCE1CD470984.m1plqscsfapp01
  • FYI - from the wicked coursing site:

LAST MINUTE HOLIDAY SALE! ORDER YOURS BY DECEMBER 31ST AND RECEIVE 10% OFF THE PACKAGE! USE COUPON CODE "HOHOHO" AT CHECKOUT - GET 'EM WHILE THEY'RE HOT!!
  • @TRDmom well how do you like it? was it worth the price?
  • Considering the convenience of not having to build it and being the cheapest I could find, I consider it a decent box for someone starting out. The machine is simple and does what it's supposed to. As with any lure coursing device, be careful about getting the reel tangled up (its... time consuming to untangle). I don't use it much, but don't regret purchasing it. I wanted to try lure coursing and the nearest clubs were hours away... plus one didn't even do test runs.

I recommend:
    1. A large, fenced area to run it in.
    2. Having a second person to hold/release the dog.

The larger space will offer a better chase. Also, with a pup, run the lure straight since they're still growing (turns might cause a pup to fall and potentially hurt muscle, tendon or bone. Official competitions require a dog be 1 year old).
    Having two people allows for one to setup and run the lure, while the other manages the dog. You can do it without a second person, but it may be more of a hassle getting everything underway by yourself.
  • My akita ken has no desire to chase anything except real rabbits and squirrels.
  • This is a fun idea! For those of you with experience, what happens if the dog actually catches the bag? Does it release or break the machine?
  • correct me if im wrong but its supposed to come right off
  • @GrayJJ, plastic bags are usually used because they are lightweight and will rip if a dog shakes it vigorously. The line doesn't typically break, because there is enough slack in a continuous line, but I suppose it could happen. But the dogs aren't going for the line itself.

Some people with the drag-type machines (non-continuous) could run in to more trouble because the line isn't stationary, and the dog has a lot more freedom of movement. Also, if a toy or rag is used in place of a plastic bag, the dog could get a more solid grip and that could potentially be more dangerous for him if the machine is not stopped and he gets caught on it.

Best policy, when the course is complete, stop the machine and let the dog have his "kill," it's their reward for a successful course.

We were at a local farm once who used a rag and drag line, and let the machine completely rewind so the rag was flapping around the spool at the end at high speed. This was not good - the dogs were all riled up and wanted to "finish" the game, but could injure themselves if they tried grabbing for the machine. Plus the owner was worried for his machine, but didn't want to stop the motor each time... not a good scenario.

Pictures!

Here's Kouda catching the drag rag

Catching bags in motion

Pulled from his kill before it completely stops, you can see the give in the line

Once the line stops, Kouda is satisfied
  • Amazing he looks like he was having a great time...do you own a machine??
  • So funny... After I saw Kouda's pictures and videos, I immediately considered getting one myself too. (I noticed that a nearby(ish) place sells 5 runs for $20... so I figured if I run it enough, it'd be worth it. $150 doesn't seem too unreasonable if you use it often enough and your dog really likes it.) Unfortunately, I don't have a large enclosed yard at the moment, so I decided against it. I have a very large yard back home, but buying it and only using it when I head home for the holidays is kind of silly. :'(

@WrylyBrindle Definitely going to try the lunge whip instead! :)
  • @gerrygelin, no we don't have a machine. We don't have the space where we live to set up a course safely. We participate in AKC events and fun runs.

@emi802, are you talking about the place in Aptos? From what I've seen (reliability, course layout, and field safety), I'd recommend the Hollister club once Katsu is old enough. @Bootz has checked out both, so can give you a first-person opinion. ;)
  • How old should they be
  • The minimum requirement for UKC/AKC is one year old. But since Akitas are larger dogs, they might mature slower, so maybe 18+ months would be safer. Best to speak with your breeder and vet to determine when your dog's body is mature enough.
  • @zandame yep! That's the first one that came up on google. I'll bother you more about this when katsu's old enough :D
  • @zandrame thanks i guess a have a pretty long wait LOL
  • I kind of want one too! My Kai Ken LOVES lure coursing! We only got to try it once, but he was hooked. He kept trying to leap in when other dogs were going. He likes agility, but gets bored easily, but I could see the lure coursing would never be boring for him!

I'm going to bookmark that link....might be a good future purchase for me!
  • @emi802

I go to the Aptos one often. They stopped for now because of the wet weather and will resume in March. I think they're more organized. They have a dry board and announce who is up next to make things go smoothly and quickly.

The hollister one just did the runs and started closing up shop on us, no last calls or anything... which sucked since @Zandrame and I drove an hour to get there.

With Aptos, they do last calls, final calls, and even ask owners that are waiting nearby if they want to do any additional runs before they close up shop.