Basenjis?

edited November 2019 in Other Breeds
-----

Comments

• @curlytails has both a Shiba and a Basenji. Hopefully she will chime in and give you some better input.

One of my best friends has a Basenji... She (the Basenji) hates my dogs. And of course, one of my Shibas also hates the Basenji, the other could not care less about her one way or the other. Granted, this is just one instance, but everything that I have done to try and get them to tolerate each other has not worked. Their reactive personalities are too similar, I think in this case.
  • Yes, I bet curlytails will come in and comment when she gets time! I have always wanted a basenji and still toy with the idea every now and then, but they will probably remain on the fantasy dog list instead of getting one for real. I think they might be too Shiba like for me, and I have a Shiba! :) And I've heard some epic tales of destruction! Some of it just from reading BRAT! :) http://www.basenjirescue.org/Reality Stories/Good-Bad-Ugly.htm
  • Thank you for your replies! I've spoken with a couple Basenji breeders in the past and have been around some (though briefly). At the time I didn't have a TRD and didn't think to ask if they got along with primitive breeds. Like shibamistress, I think this is more of a fancy than probability for me. Still curious though. :)
  • edited October 2014
    My Boyfriend had a Basenji when they were growing up, and they also had Akitas and a Shiba at the time. She peacefully Co-existed until she hit maturity- then she was a real jerk to the other dogs, and all the Akitas wanted to kill her as she would sh*t stir them constantly and she was permanantly separated from the rest. My sister in law now has another female Basenji, who is a cow to her two labs and has to be separated. As I understand it, they are just as stubborn and cocky as Shibas and clash with similar temperaments. I have met with a breeder and her Basenji's that are handled by a young kid, and while they are beautiful with her they are SO snobby to me haha.
  • edited November 2019
    -----
  • Where on the east coast are you? There are quite a few Kai over here if you would like to meet one
  • @TRDMOM shuteshii (sp?) Kensha has kai and she's in ohio. I live in VA and she's about a 7 hour drive. It's not bad at all.
  • edited November 2019
    -----
  • Isn't Dr. Dave Roberts in NC? He's got a Kai from Brad....
  • I have a couple of my pups that live in VA now. Dave is the only one I know of that has a kai in NC.

If you are ever in Ohio, you are more than welcome to stop by and meet the dogs.
  • @sjp051993 thank you for the invitation! Hopefully I can take you up on it one of these days. I would love to meet a Kai :)
  • I'm in central Virginia, between Richmond and Charlottesville, so if you ever get up our way, I'd be happy to let you meet Hanzo.
  • We are located in virginia beach so not too far from NC. There is a thread here on the forum for east coast meet ups so you are more then welcome to join us. We have a few Shikoku and shibas in the area as well
  • If you have any questions about Basenjis, message me. I breed them ;)
  • edited November 2014
    Thank you all! :)