Ahi's pads hurt...

Since Ahi was kicked out of camp we have been giving her a lot of walks in order to keep her exercised and in control. So, because of this, her pads have been a bit sore - anyone have any suggestion on "home remedies" for this? Keeping in mind she really doesn't like us to touch her feet. I have read a few different things but none of them are very easy to get.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited July 2007
    Someone recommended zinc gluconate to me on a scootering mailing list when I mentioned my dogs would be running on gravel and pastureland sometimes.  They said it toughens the pads and nails.  I haven't tried it yet, though.  http://www.howlingdogalaska.com/zincgluco.html
  • edited July 2007

Kewl - thanx! I'll check it out.

BTW: I knew you would have the answer.  Wink

Thanx!!

• edited November -1

HAHAH!! Not to her paws of course but the camp.  What did that innocent puppy do?

Hope her paws feel better! 

• edited July 2007

Well the only solution I have is to use "Musher's Secret".  However that has to applied on the pads.  Maybe she would get used to the process, Nemo did.

• edited November -1

She just plays too rough for some of the dogs. Ahi frustrates very easily, and there are only a few dogs at camp that play nicely [read as rough enough] with her. So when the other dogs where in camp they were afraid of her rough play and would not play with her, so she would get frustrated. Then she would take her frustration out on the timid dogs, by going after them and trying to get them to play – but when she does this it comes across a bit over the top [anyone with a Shikoku knows what I am talking about].

So the people at camp put some rules in place for Ahi to attend – like that she can only be in the big pen w/ the dogs that play nice with her… this only frustrated her more… and so you see where this is going.

Long story short, we didn’t feel it was a very mentally healthy situation for her, and we have stopped taking her. Jen works at the camp, she took that job to work with dogs but all she does is answer phones and do other customer support type activities. She also doesn’t get paid much at all – so given we don’t really need that income, and the main reason for her working there was for Ahi to attend camp free, and for Jen to work with dogs, Jen put her 2 week notice in a while ago. Her last day is tomorrow. She will be a full-time stay at home dog mommy. Lucky her.

• edited November -1
    Brad that sounds like exactly what would happen if I sent Nemo to a dog camp or daycare.  Not all dogs are built for it.  Spitz breeds play rough (some dogs rougher than others of course) and like you said, when they don't get what they want, they get frustrated and things escalate.  A bit of a bummer that Ahi can't go play, but better for her in the long run for sure.
  • edited November -1

Brad you just reminded me that I am mad at Jen!!!

Niko has had many of time outs in daycare because she can get too rough when playing.  The little dogs just dont play as hard and the daycare doesnt trust us that she can handle the big dogs!

How dare they discriminate the Shikoku??