Has anyone owned a male dog with a thyroid problem before? Any breed...

2»

Comments

• Hi zandrame, I was thinking about your post in this thread and wondering how Kouda was doing. How is his behavior lately? Did you have a chance to discuss again with your vet a possible trial of Soloxine or have you decided to wait a bit and retest later?

Hopefully you have been able to make some headway into figuring out what possible causes for his behavior could be attributed to.
  • @keroline33, there has been a little progress since I last posted.

We took Kouda to a holistic veterinarian, and he agreed we should take him off Proin immediately. He prescribed an estrogen instead, Incurin, which I was skeptical about since he's male. He leaked the first evening on it, but we stuck with a 2 week trial. He's had minor dribbles, but no waking up in puddles. His behavior improved to a more tolerable level as well, no massive freak outs, pretty much back to pre-Proin level. The 2 week trial ended yesterday, and the vet wants to halve the dose for another 2 weeks. First half dose was this evening, so we'll see how it goes in the morning!

The vet also reviewed Kouda's Hemopet results, and was sympathetic to our concerns, but wanted to defer to Dr. Dodds recommendation against treatment at this time. He instead said we could try adding thyroid supporting supplements like Standard Process Thyroid or Armour. I conferred with Dr. Dodds, and she said Standard Process would be good, but not ones like Armour that contain actual T4/T3. She also suggested a retest in 2-4 months.

He's been on Standard Process for about a week. It's basically a vitamin mix, so I wouldn't expect anything drastic.