Withers: Approx ~17.5-18"
Weight: 41 lb.

As a pup:
AaMasashi2

Today as of 6/23/14 at Stow Lake in San Francisco:
Untitled

Untitled

Comments

• Aww man he is big !!! Score 3 for the Black and Tans !
  • Just to get an idea of his size:
    photo (3)

I think it's mainly muscle, but he's still pretty sizable to most Shibas I've run into.
    Untitled
  • I love these pics! He is so handsome! I must say, the first and second pics are my favorite. I adore seeing pics of fluffy baby Shiba and he looks so darn happy in the second one... it made me grin just looking at his face. :)
  • @myabee09

Caught him winking. This one always makes me grin hahaha.
  • So cute! Hello Kiba :)
    I have a soft spot for the black and tans!
  • Omg!!! I love it!!!!!
  • A catdog for sure, loves to jump onto everything
    Untitled

Kibes comes with me to work on most days, but when that 8 hour mark hits -- the whining begins
    photo (4)
  • Omg! He has so much personality!
  • Like i said...you and Kiba should come visit Bootz and I in San Jose!

Bootz lost some weight since she's on her Thyroid meds now...But she's still big, 35 lbs!
  • @bootz Are you going to take your pups to SF during the Ramen Festival? I bet theres going to be lots of Shibes out that day haha.

• edited June 2014
    Recall training -- don't mind the iMovie that I play around with hahaa

• Haha. Don't want to put her in that situation during the Ramen Festival. The LA one had long lines + warm weather.
  • Morning
    Untitled
  • Morning
    Untitled
  • So I weighed Kiba last night just for fun since I was carrying him around; to my surprise he gained more weight at 43 pounds. I've started reducing his food intake about mount and a half ago. He goes to the dog park every weekend and gets walked more than an hour a day.

What is everyone's opinion on his size? overweight? I took this shot this morning.
    July 8 2014 --- 43 pounds
  • A top down picture, where you can see the hips to shoulders is generally better to determine overweight via pictures, but he looks pretty good to me.
  • Bring Kiba to my house so I can check to see if he's overweight ;) wow 43 lbs. Thats huge. But definitely good play mate for Bootz!

As Tmd mentioned, top down picture would help. Also do the "rib touch" test.
  • edited July 2014
    Here is a top down picture. In terms of 'rib touch' test, yes I can feel his ribs? Not sure how easily I should be feeling his ribs though.

I use to give him 2.5 a cups a day, now it's 2 cups a day (split into two meals).

Fat?

and for comparison he ran into this 30lb 8 month male. Kiba in comparison was much thicker/girthy and slightly taller.

Untitled

Untitled
  • He has some chunk on him. I feed both my 29 lb Kai Ken and 35 lb shiba one cup a day split in 2 feedings. I feed them a very, very nutrituon dense food so they need less. It's between you and your vet in determining your pups needs. I like it when I can see some waist and a nice tuck on the belly. I can't see ribs but can feel them with mild pressure (or some thought if I think about it while petting them)
  • I agree that he could probably stand to lose a few pounds. This is definitely something I would bring up with your vet, but especially in the top down photo, he looks chunky. I would suggest reducing the amount of food your are feeding him to 1.5 cups daily, split over two meals (and reduce the amount of treats that he is getting, if that is the case). Give that a go for a few weeks and re-evaluate with your vet.
  • I asked the vet when he was 41lbs and I was told he was not overweight but just on the larger side. I asked if I should reduce the food amount and he said I shouldn't worry too much about it.

He is a bit chunky in my standards, today I've already started to reducing his meal. Iets see where he's at in a few weeks. Appreciate the input everyone.
  • @kiba888

Yeah....dunno about your vet then. I definitely agree with the others, he's a bit chunky. There is supposed to be a nice hourglass from the top. My vet is very picky about a dog's weight, well because, in the bay area at least 70% of the dogs are overweight. Haha.
  • @bootz

I agree. I also found out that when my mother watches him, she's been feeding him a lot more than I expected. I got everyone on the same page to reduce it to 1.5 cups per day.

I'm excited to see him slim down hahaha
  • @kiba888

Well...our kids tend to get spoiled when they are with their grandparents. "aww she's hungry she can eat more, here have some chicken!"

When i'm at my parents house...I tend to keep an eye on my parents more than my Shiba. My Shiba knows i'm watching so she won't do anything, but if my parents slip her food her excuse is "they said it was ok!!!"

Fort Funston Saturday?!?!?
  • @bootz

Fort Funston on Saturday sounds promising. Are a bunch of other Shibe owners showing up as well? Not sure where you guys meet up.

Of couse I'll probably have to put the long lead on my dog if he wants to play. Recall is terrible around other dogs lol
  • one of the owners can't make Saturday. Are you ok with Sunday? We usually go around 10-11 am, before the crowd kicks in.
  • @bootz Sunday works better for me, Saturday is ramen festival in SF :D
  • @kiba888 Hahah. Yea i'm going Saturday to Ramen festival!!! I'll PM you my # regarding ETA for Sunday.
  • Just some updated pictures of this almost 2 yr old puptato.

Untitled

Kiba is older than Jax by a few months, but Jax will protect Kiba if there is a scuffle haha. They are best buds.
    Untitled