Review: Roomba 595 Pet Series

edited June 2014 in Products & DIY
I have hardwood floors and slate tiles throughout my house and it seems that no matter how much sweeping, vacuuming or mopping I do, I can never completely get rid of all of the fur, fuzz and dust that comes with owning a pet. Not even my best Dyson's could do the job. I'd still find small tufts of fur, dust or hairs everywhere. I'm a clean freak so I can spot a hair on my dark floors a mile away.

I was very skeptical about getting a Roomba. How effective could they possibly be? There were tons of raving reviews online so I thought, why not give it a try. I purchased my Roomba Pet Series from Costco for $339 CAD ( I think it goes for $299 USD). I could always return if after if it didn't work.

You charge it, and then it's off cleaning your rooms. It's not louder than a regular vacuum and my dog completely ignores it. After about an hour ( my main floor is about 1000 sq ft ), it was done. My floors were spotless. I have a carpet in front of my front door and it cleaned that too. It also went under my furniture (where the dander collects most). I was so impressed with the amount of stuff it picked up off my floors ( will attach a photo here later of the dust bin). Plus it returns to it's docking station on its own to recharge when it's done.

All in all, this is an amazing product and I will not be returning it ! You'd never know I owned a dog, there was not one single hair anywhere. Plus I can schedule it to clean when I'm out. Best cleaning appliance ever purchased!

Comments

• Does it work on Carpets well?
  • Does it work on Carpets well?
    I cant speak for the pet model (maybe more powerful?) but i bought a roomba 770 and it wasnt what i expected. It did miss some spots, and the suction (if thats what you would call it) just wasn't there for me. It was like someone just swept your rug with a broom: Yea it looks clean but deep down, there is still dust. I hate doing returns so i gave it to my Gma who (even today) still gets scared when it boots up. Its sooo funny, and its on a set schedule 1pm.

ROOMBA 770 - Im sure it's brillant on non carpet. For me- has the suction of a $50 vacuum but more appealing. Its very stylish. and looks high tech. I give it a 7/10 because it cleans much closer to the baseboards than my current vacuum does.

Almost forgot... Umm once the super small/medium tray fills it will return its self. So not recommended for Shedding season. <----- Non pet version YMMV
  • I use the Pet version (595) and I was just thinking of reviewing it on here too! I agree that it does a wonderful job on the occasional shedding. Currently, I also have a Dyson hand-held and a Dyson upright (DC-25 animal). The Roomba is on a daily schedule to clean about 160 sq ft of carpet and it comes up pretty durned clean. two of my dogs are on the tail end of shedding and the 3rd is about to begin. I clean the little dirt tray for the Roomba daily and I vaccum the filter for it with the Dyson hand-held every other day to keep the filter clean as well.

Two of the dogs like to bark at it from their crates (damn Shikoku) but the Shiba pays it no mind.

Jesse
  • edited June 2014
    @cdenney it's really designed for hard floors, baseboards and the nooks and crannies under furniture, not carpets. I have a giant shag area rug that it won't go on - but that's why I have the super Dyson. Even though roomba cleans the front mat I'd still go over it again with the Dyson. The roomba is useful for cleaning the loose dust and debris off hard surfaces. I wouldn't buy one if my home was mostly carpet.
  • I have been toying with the idea of getting a Roomba... But my dogs try to eat the regular vacuum, so I am not sure about getting one that will turn on when I am not there (the dogs have free range of the house). They are not afraid of it, they just think it is something to play with. Maybe I will contact our iRobot rep and see if they can give me a good deal on it. :-D
  • I had a similar experience to @Shikoku

It will get most of the stuff, but when you swipe the floor with your finger...there was still dust. Not to mention ours broke down after 1 year? Not sure if that's good. But with the price tag... yeah... I'll stick with my Dyson.

@Sunyata if your dogs will eat a regular vacuum, they will eat the Roomba. Haha. Bootz mouthed our Roomba and almost flipped it. Couldn't run it without my presence, or else it will be conquered by the Shiba.
  • I have considered a Roomba, not to replace a regular vacuum, but just to pick up that much more while I'm not around. I have a couple of issues, though. One is that my house is almost entirely carpet. Even the dining room (although I want to change that). The other is that my house is a split-level and has three separate "floors" (plus the basement). I guess I could just move it to a different floor every day, though. Oh yeah, and I have three kids and it's nearly impossible to keep clutter off the floors. I mean, I could just pick everything up on the floor the Roomba was on that day and then leave the house or something.
  • Mine is only working on carpet right now. The thing that's a bit of a pain is that I have to empty the tray daily, and vacuum out the filter with my hand-held Dyson every other day. However, it does beat me having to vacuum 160+ sq ft of floor every day.

Jesse
  • edited June 2014
    11 Actual Reviews from People Who Love Their Roomba as Much as Their Dog
    http://thebarkpost.com/roomba-review-dogs/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post
  • Check out the Sheeb in gif clip #4.
  • I am thinking about getting one too. Does it work for uneven floor? my living room is lower than kitchen area, so I have the reducer molding thing.