Hokkaido, Kai and Shiba in rescue in MI, need homes ASAP

2»

Comments

• Life events can throw a monkey wrench at anyone. Hoping the best for everyone.

That being said….

Don’t leave the barer of news solely to emails where messages are left up to the portal gods since it is all to easy to have communication stifled. News like this is not something someone wants to find out online, it just skews things and creates poor assumptions and rumors that will ruin someones day.

It is times like these that having your breeder on speed dial and phone contact is soooo helpful. Yes even in another country give a call and talk. Five minutes could save a lot of grief to many.

Snf

• I agree snf....I should have called her. This is a very difficult decision and I love them all dearly. Kangai especially as she is a very special breed and very unknown in the US. She has a wild dog personality and I have made sure her living conditions were on point to fit her needs. That being said, I cannot be selfish any longer and she needs someone who can be there for her, as all of them do. I am barly ever home and she doesn't deserve that. That is why I have reached out to you all. I truly hope we can all find good homes for them so I can be at peace with this unfortunate situation.
  • I have since emailed ewa and we are working it out. I will hold her until we can come to a solution. Kenji and Keira are in foster homes and still available for adoption. Keira may be going to mid west shiba Inu rescue this weekend but the lady I am working with is delgently working to screen and find a good home for them. She is a no-kill operation and is looking out for the best interest in them as well.
  • Glad to see that the lines of communication have been restored and everyone is talking to one another for the best interests of the dogs.
  • I live in Michigan but would be willing to somewhat travel with the dogs for suitable owners if anyone reading this is interested or knows of someone.
  • All we can do is educate people as much as possible and hope they accept and have patience with them
  • @jmaxwell was one of the forum's earliest members. I'm sure she wants the best for her dogs, that has always been apparent. Life can be cruel at times, and we are sometimes forced to make choices we never expected to have to make. I know this from my own experiences. Also, sometimes, when life gets hectic and painful we do what we think is best and then wish we had maybe handled it differently. I think we've all done that.

It's unfortunate that this thread had to become negative in order to get you back to the forum so that we can all help you with the situation, Jamie.

This community has always come together and helped each other, so lets all help one of our elder members with her situation and pass on the judgment. Let's focus more on helping the dogs, and less on the circumstances that have lead to this thread. Cool?
  • Cool.
    Just wanted to update... My leads down here have turned up nothing... I don't know of anyone in Wyoming that would be a good home for any of the pups. :(
    If there is anything further that I could do, don't hesitate to ask!
  • If you can't find kangai a home in the next month and a half I might be able to take her if she could get along with an intact female shikoku.
  • Thank You Everyone for being watchful and interested in this matter. It is really important to me, cause I am 7500 km far away from You, and I cannot jump on my bike or board on the plane just straight off and just come to MI.
    But I can confirm ;) that both - Jamie, as well as a woman from Few Steps From Home Animal Rescue has contacted me yesterday, and we are in touch trying to come to common agreement and find together the best option for Kangai. I am not quite sure where exactly Kangai is placed - in the foster home i n Corruna or by Jamie, because the first messages were contrary, but I hope we all in three will work on the happy end of this situation. So, we will update when it happen...
    THANK YOU SO MUCH
  • Kangai has always been in my possession and Keira and kenji and now back with me:)
  • edited May 2014
    That is one of the reasons I chose to take them back and work with Midwest shiba Inu rescue as she was lying to ewa saying she had her in her a foster and wants her nothing to do with flying back to Poland, however it's not her choice. I am very protective of kangai and want what's best for her. I don't think she would have any problems Lizzy with other females as she has a shiba sister with minor food aggression if any.
  • Well I was asking about shikoku specifically because they can be very pushy, while I think kai and shiba are more reserved. For example the last time we had a roommate with dogs arashi loved to play CONSTANTLY, the other dogs would hide from her because they were done. I usually would have to put her up so the other dogs could have some peace.

Could you tell me a little more about her personality, good stuff and flaws? Does she use a crate or have run of the house? If not could she be crated? She's good with cats right?
  • She loves to play and is very outgoing. She probably acts more like a husky or more like your girl. She is hyper at times but settles down soon after meeting someone new, she loves other dogs and has never shown aggression other than good aggression with the shiba, however I believe the shiba starts it. She is a beautiful dog, about 40lbs and is a fast runner. She loves to chase the birds and squirrels and sometimes the cats but is never harmful to the cats. She loves being active and loves to follow you around. Sounds a lot like your little girl.
  • She does have a crate and is there while I work during the day but I have left her out of her crate if I have to go somewhere and the house is fine how I left it.
  • Yes, sounds a lot like arashi. Well I can't get kangai until after the closing on my house, fix it up and move in. Probably a month and a half. So if you figure out anything before then or if anyone else on here is interested I won't be offended.
  • Will you have a fenced in yard and what state are you located?
  • Yes there is a fenced yard and I live in north west arkansas.
  • So I also would not be very close, so if you didn't want her flying then we would have to drive a while to meet up somewhere in the middle. Something else to consider.
  • After much thought, I think the best situation for kangai is to send her back to ewa in Poland. She understands this breed and I will be at peace knowing she is back home where she belongs. This is such a tough decision as I love kangai dearly but I cannot also live the rest of my life not knowing where and who she is with. I am crying as I write this. I knew I would be up for a challenge when I purchased these dogs, however as life has it, sometimes doesn't always go as planned and no matter what they will always be in my heart and their happiness is my first priority.

Anyone out there going through this situation, looking to add a Japanese dog to their family, please do your research and allow these great people to help out with your search, whether it's to inquire about them or having to depart with them.

I will also sleep better knowjng that kenji will be with Pam in Ohio and Keira is going to be with the MSIR and will help screen their adoptions.
  • Glad all the pups are going to good people that can help find their forever home. I couldn't imagine how heart wrenching this is for you but you are doing the right thing by putting their needs first
  • I am glad that everything is working out for the dogs. Good luck and I hope that things settle down for you and your family soon.
  • Thank you for the kind words. I am so glad for this forum and for organizations out there that can help find these dogs good homes. I know ewa cannot wait to have kangai back in her arms and I know the other two will be I'm good hands. It really does help give me a piece of mind.