I give up, how do I add a photo?

edited May 2014 in Help
I have a sneaking suspicion I need to have the photo loaded somewhere else on the web before I can attach it as an image here, so that I have a URL to put into the < img src="" />. Is that right? At the moment they just reside in a folder on my desktop as I am not really a prolific sharer online.

Comments

• Also, apologies if this has already been addressed - I did a search or three in the forum hunting for it but didn't turn anything up.
  • That's right! I use imgur or just take the URLs straight from my facebook uploads when I put an image on the forum. Use the img src="" tag to post photos once they are uploaded to the web.

If you used imgur.com to upload, they have a list to the right of codes you can just copy and paste to link your image.
  • I've always wanted to figure out how to get pictures off my phone to post here.
  • Hrm. Makes sense from the forum's perspective, not having to store all those photos, I'd do the same. I will see what I can find. I assume that if I upload them to Facebook, or any other medium, I have to leave them publicly viewable on that site for them to appear here properly? I couldn't limit the viewing to family and/or somehow indicate that any traffic from *this* site could see them, but not just anyone.
  • @jjvanderw, I'm not sure about Facebook because I don't use it, but is there an option to make the photos unlisted? Like on YouTube, videos can be private, public, or unlisted. Or if you make your thread in the Members Only section, the contents won't be indexed by search engines.
  • Thanks for the tip zandrame!

I'm not a zealot about keeping my info off the internet, just a minimalist. I ended up using Imgur since it looks like I don't need an account and I can delete the image from the deletion link after y'all have had time to see it. Here is a test post - in the preview the picture looked gigantic, and if I have issues I'd rather they all get hashed out here for the next guy to be able to see what the resolution was.

• I use flickr and all my images are private, but using the share link they provide I'm able to keep my pics showing on this site, but not public. You do have to sign up for an account though.
  • good tip on Flickr. I couldnt get flickr pics to show up and had to go to photobucket....
  • You know, last time I tried to add pics from Flickr, they didn't show up either! I thought something must be wrong with me! Going to make a photobucket account when I get home (2 more days!)
  • I use flickr only and it works :)
  • I use image shack
  • imgur.com is a good photo hosting site.
  • Hello, I just wanted to ask if it was possible to add Instagram photos on the forum?