Hokkaido, Kai and Shiba in rescue in MI, need homes ASAP

edited May 2014 in Rescue
I was contacted via the Hokkaido Club email about several rescues in MI needing help placing 3 dogs surrendered by a forum member. There is a Kai, a Shiba, and a Hokkaido. I am waiting for more detailed info at this point, but MSIR has been asked to take the dogs, although I beleive they are currently with A Few Steps From Home Animal Rescue:
https://www.facebook.com/200055706682797/photos/a.207260685962299.50634.200055706682797/748031208551908/?type=1&theater

Anybody in those areas able to take in a Kai male and/or a Hokkaido import girl? All spayed and neutered, good with other dogs and cats and kids per reports.

Comments

• I remember the thread the owner posted trying to place these three. Sad.
  • I could foster but that is about it. I'll see if any family or friends in Indy are interested.
  • I remember the thread about these three as well, but the OP was very slow to respond to questions and has not posted about the situation since October. :(

www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/8792/sadly-need-a-new-home-for-japanese-dogs
  • I'm sharing the info., too, hoping someone will step up. It's very sad.
  • If I wasn't buying a house and moving in month, I would be able to help. :( this is very sad. Plus MI is still pretty far from here.
  • I'll put the word out down south. I can't take any more pets due to my towns restrictions, otherwise I would take on another girl.
  • OMG, this is really sad... Despite the efforts of the forum to help, the owner just dumps the dogs.

And the Hokkaido's breeder, @Ewaka, was never informed. On top of the fact that the dog was needlessly spayed. :(

Given that, has the breeder of the Kai (Classy/Marian) been contacted? She likely wasn't informed either.
  • That is crazy.. How can contacting the breeder not have been an option? They would only want to help..
  • I'm waiting to hear back from one of the rescues involved, and have spoken to the breeder. I hope we can arrange something beneficial to dog and breeder and rescue. I also believe Marian has been contacted.
  • My heart is aching for these dogs. I wish there was something I could do.
  • edited May 2014
    Wow...I am speechless on how you are all acting so negative about me needing to find homes for these dogs rather than dumping them to some local shelter. I am working with a no kill shelter right now to find homes for them and would appreciate the negative comments to stop, these are like MY children and I would NEVER put them in harms way or somewhere that would even consider putting them down. Thanks for assuming the worst and being so negative. None of you know my situation but just hear say. I have these dogs best interest in mind and they deserve a better life than I can give them right now.
  • Before you start bashing me you might want to get your facts straight.
  • Just going by what the rescue involved is sharing (which seems to have been pulled from FB now). Please clarify anything you feel is not correct, everybody just wants the best for the dogs.
  • I need to get a house of my own and have a giant NK sanctuary.
  • edited May 2014
    Huh. For the most part, all anyone has done has been to share the info. to try to get the word out so these dogs can find a home. I don't see that we are "all" acting so negative--I see people trying to help, trying to get the word out. I understand it must be a very difficult situation--maybe we could all just concentrate on trying to share information about the dogs so they can get into a new place? The odds are good that someone on the NK forum here might either be able to take one of the dogs or some of the dogs, or know someone who could, and certainly it would likely be NK savvy homes, so I would think this would be a good resource for sharing information. @jmaxwell, this is a good place to get more info. about the dogs so they can find a home....

eta: And are they no longer at the rescue or what? The link doesn't work anymore.....though on the rescue page they are still listed. It would be useful to have photos of them and a link to the rescue to help get the word out. Are they still going to MSIR?
  • edited May 2014
    Hi Jamie. It is really nice to hear anything from You. It is the pity, that it happened in these circumstances, this way, just now and here....

Most of us have everydays problems. I suppose most of us have children, houses, credits, other dogs, problems in work, with children, old parents, who need our care... Some of us are in financial need, get divorced, get deadly sick. That`s the part of our life. I can understand everything, what has happened. Really. If I had a chance...

I have never said You don`t love Your dogs or that You`ve treated the dogs bad. But nothing explains that You even didn`t inform me about Your decision regarding Kangai (in first or at all, cause I didn`t get the message from You even now), and addictionally try to suggest on forum that I`ve done smth that I never did, trying to slander me from some inexplicable reason.

As I wrote it the previous http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/8792/sadly-need-a-new-home-for-japanese-dogs#Item_30, if You informed me I would have time to find new home for Kangai for sure, also I would try to organise the flight for her.
    She is six years old, but maybe she would accept our pack and stayed with us or find a place in a befriended home. It is really hard to say how she will behave in any new situation, because all of us KNOW, that hokkas are the dogs of "one men". They choosed us, are totally get used to one men, and many time they horribly suffer when something has changed in this area... They are independent, but when the owner leaves, they are hurted much more then the other dogs...

That`s way, forgive me, I won`t feel sorry for You. I am not interesting about Your life at all, and I am not asking about it. It is not interesting for me.
    It is Your own life and Your choises. I am only interesting in the future of Kangai. I didn`t want her to go to unknown people, and without my acception. If You loves her, You should know it, it was also written in contract...
    I am still hopping You really want the best for her, not for You. Please let her be back home.

I would possibly accept hery stay in US only if two or three responsible hokkaido or japanese breeders or owners in US will gurantee that they know the new owner, new home, the condition, and that she really won`t change the home until her death...
    Otherwise, please give her back.

Ewa

sorry for possible mistakes (it is not my origin language)
  • You want what's best for her but do you really think that flight would be best for her? It could cause terrible trauma for her. Also I will not be paying to send her anywhere. She is after all my dog and you are selfish to think otherwise to think I would just dump her some where. As far as marian, I emailed her and heard nothing from her and have heard she will put all the Kai-kens down when she dies. Keira's breeders don't even breed anymore and I'm pretty sure it was a puppy mill. I am looking into the best interest of my dog but I am also looking for myself and my two children and one person can only take care of so much.
  • Ewa how dare you call me a liar. I emailed you a few times through the years after I had her. I heard nothing from you. My phone number and email address have never changed. My mailing address has but that's it. Why in the world would I want to work with someone that treats me like that without finding anything out? I never told people lies about her papers and everything else. I never purchased her to make money off of her and breed her. She has had a good life with us and her brother and sister. She has not been the easiest dog but I love her very much and for you to bash me on here you should be ashamed of yourself. I understand your concern and anger but I did email you and heard nothing from you. Could have been very possible something happened and it went to your spam mail but believe me when I say I have contacted you about this before.
  • @jmaxwell I'm sorry to hear about the situation that would force you to give up your dogs. I can only imagine that it feels like ripping a limb off your body and leaving it behind.

I truly believe that this forum and it's members just want the best for your dogs even if the intent of the words have a different impact-- I truly believe they were not meant to cause offense.

That being said your original thread in this is old could you tell us about your three in the interest of us spreading the word to find homes that will understand adult NK? What are their personalities, what do they like? What do the fear? Should they be adopted together or separately? The more we know we can start to tell others.
  • I still have kangai in my possession and Keira and Kenji are at foster homes at the moment. The lady I have been working with has did nothing but help after no one else seemed to want to and has understood these dogs needs and their temperament. Would anyone on here be interested in adopting them? I want wants best for them more than anything.
  • I think that the one flight is nothing compared to the change of the home forever. I don`t want You to pay for the flight, just give us a time to organise it and prepare the money. Last e-mail from You came on november 2008. Until the february 2009 they came through, then all my letters were back. I knew there were some changes there in Your life, so I didn`t expect too much then. Later I asked about You also some people here, but they had also no contact to You.
  • Can you tell us about them? Who they are as it may be. I know those with packs look for certain personalities to blend well.
  • Ewa I would be willing to work with you. As you know this breed best and I want her in a safe place to someone that understands her.
  • I personally don't know the foster homes they are in now but the lady I have been working with does. These are of course temporary homes until someone would adopt them. They do have a fenced in yard at both of them and other dogs. The switch has just been over the past few days.
  • Kengi (Kai ken) is very laid back and skiddish and likes to be the "follower" of the pack. The breed is skiddish but he has a very kind heart. He likes being around any other dog and I haven't seen him be aggressive to any other dog. He's good with my kids as well. It takes him time to warm up to people, but that's the nature of his breed but he is very protective and will of course bark when senses danger.

Keira is very laid back and could be by herself or with other dogs. Her and kangai showed a little bit of good aggression once in awhile but nothing bad. She likes to hide a lot and be by herself and sleep but she runs around the yard and plays with the other dogs.

They both have a lot of energy and life left but don't necessary have to go together. Like I said they are both in foster homes now and I have told her the importance of needing a certain type of foster house and what their personalities are like.
  • I've also contacted J.A.D.E. Shiba Inu and Kai ken and she said she would perhaps be interested in the Kai and shiba but I haven't heard back from her. Midwest shiba Inu rescue and I hope we can all together to find good homes for these dogs! I don't want anything less.
  • edited June 2014
    Thanks jmaxwell for the info.

The owner did try re home via forum for bit. who knows maybe internet was spotty at time so was hard to post pics or whatever.

It's good the owner at least took them to a no kill shelter and are in foster homes.
  • Ewa I did email you. Let me know if you received it