Barn Hunt - Love to Hunt, Try the New Sports to Search for Rats

2»

Comments

• Over the weekend, we made an out-of-town trip to Dallas, Texas area to attend the Barn Hunt Judge's Workshop on Saturday and then trialed on Sunday. It is Koji's first time flying on an airplane and he did great.

The judge's workshop was very informative and I got to meet the founder of the sports, Robin Nuttall and many other Barn Hunt enthusiasts.

There was a winter storm alert for the area all weekend and I was worried that we might not be able to fly out, let alone to say that the trials may be cancelled all together.

Fortunately, the North Texas Barn Hunt group decided to go ahead and hold the trials as Sunday morning, it was cold, but still dry. The forecast predicted precipitation throughout the day, with some sleets and freezing rain as the day went on.

When Koji ran, the wind was blowing pretty hard and we had sleets and freezing rain, neither of which seemed to bother Koji's enthusiasm for rats. He had a blast locating all 4 rats (8 tubes on course, with 4 live rats, 3 litters and 1 empty tube).

This is a video of Koji's first Senior run at trial 1. He was the only Senior dog at the trial, got the Q, 1st place and High in Trial Senior.

He got his 2nd Senior leg in the afternoon trial, 1st place and also High in Trial Senior.

Several people approached me later and told me how impressed they were with a working Shiba. Shibas sure CAN!

If you have not tried Barn Hunt yet, I strongly encourage you to check it out! You can find more info on http://www.barnhunt.com

• Koji earned his RATM (Barn Hunt Master) title on 3/16/2014 at the St. Helens' trial in Oregon. I also managed to have my first full judging experience that weekend, having a pretty full slate, judging 4 Barn Hunt trials over 2 days and close to 200+ dogs.

This is Koji's High in Master Barn Hunt run from our most recent trial on May 4th. We need 10 more legs after earning the RATM to get a Champion title and are doing quite well for that goal. He was very methodical and efficient in his search, locating 5 rats in 2:14. It's always so much fun to work with him. The bond and teamwork we share is so gratifying.

• Koji was so fun to watch, especially in person.
  • Koji was so fun to watch, especially in person.
    Glad to see you and Meitou at the recent trial too. Are you going to the one in Salem in June? I plan to do both Barn Hunt and agility with Koji there are in same location.
  • Yeah, so far I'm planning on going to the Salem trial. :)