Nihonken Invitational - November 2nd 2014 Claremont California Trophy Sponsors Sheet Posted 8/18/14

Comments

• Most judges allow bait (treats). And there are never stupid questions :)
  • Awesome, thank you! :)
  • Okay, so new challenge - get 2 KKA Kai on the UKC Top Ten. :-D

• To be clear, since I think I may have started all this Kai stuff...

My distaste for the UKC has nothing to do with the breed club, its president, or Kai politics. I just don't like the UKC - for any breed. I also don't value the judges opinions on what a NK should be. And so, I don't want to give them my money.

You can register your KKA Kai Ken with UKC if you have AKC-FSS papers. That is why I got the AKC-FSS to accept KKA papers - so KKA owners could show in the UKC is they like.

Also, I dunno that I'll ever show a dog again. My experience showing at NIPPO, even given my relative success, was unpleasant enough for me, personally, that I just have no interest in being part of that scene.

Winning a silly ribbon or points or some shit doesn't give me enough motivation to put up with all the politics and such. Also, the show made clear to me the attitude of many of the people who define themselves by their show wins (not talking about any of you)... and, it just kinda disgusted me.

I might be convinced to just go to the show and hang out with friends and see Yamabushi puppies. And drink beer.

This all came up because.. (why I asked about the UKC thing) Because Jen asked me about the show and we discussed one of us going.
  • It didn't start with you @Brada1878. There has been chatter.
  • If i even actively participated in the show I would only want to do it once to see what it's like...thus would go with the TL number, not the full registration (i dont have the time or energy to go through that stuff and i really don't care about a title)..if it ends up being too much hassle, i'm just happy everyone will be there, and it would be so awesome if one of you came too to hang out and grab some brews :)
  • Which reminds me. We need to plan a pre-party! Ummm "Pre show meet up". Yeah that's a more proper name for it. :-P
  • I wonder if we can grill at the hotel? I still remember Gen's jalapeno burgers and wild boar. What is the name of the marinade again? @shishiinu
  • @ayk Just as long as we can have beer for @brada1878, @sjp051993, and @mdokic. I will need wine.
  • A pre-show meetup sounds great!
  • I love when my name is used in the same sentence as te word beer :)
  • edited April 2014
    LOL. @tjbart17...how calling it the NihonKen Invitational "pre-game" ;) i'm just kidding haha...and i agree @sjp051993!!

Now i'm really excited! :D
  • When it comes down to it, I'll show up to anything that has food and booze. Just sayin......
  • great minds think alike. just sayin..... ;)
  • Has anyone stayed in that hotel before (the Hotel Claremont)?
  • I haven't stayed there but a lot of dog shows are held there. I heard that the Shiba Nationals were held there before. My impression is older, dog-friendly, budget-friendly hotel. Could use some renovation.
  • Ok, good to know

So Saturday is an all breed UKC show, but Sunday will be the main event?
  • aykayk
    edited April 2014
    No shows on Sat. No all-breed shows.

It'll be two shows with the listed breeds on Sunday. Show 1/Judge 1 will be in the morning. Show 2/Judge 2 should be after lunch. 9:30 am and 1 pm respectively.

• edited April 2014
    Any points earned would stay with the dogs TL number. You cannot receive a title on your dog until you have a permanent registration number. If anyone with a kka Kai is interested in getting full UKC registration, please message me. It can be done, just a certain person made it a little difficult since it did not benefit them. I have successfully done it though. With a UKC registration you can also enter UKC performance events beside conformation.
    That is my understanding as to how TL numbers work. You would still place and get ribbons for the show. My personal feeling is the more the judges see the easier it will be to effect change.

I might be convinced to just go to the show and hang out with friends and see Yamabushi puppies. And drink beer.

This all came up because.. (why I asked about the UKC thing) Because Jen asked me about the show and we discussed one of us going.
    There is nothing wrong with coming out to socialize but I'm not going to worry about convincing just come out and enjoy the weekend. @ayk can tell you, I handled in my first show this past November. Five years of doing this and I finally went in a ring. Showing is fun but I really enjoy bouncing around and talking to everyone. I have way more fun bullshittin with people.
  • I haven't stayed there but a lot of dog shows are held there. I heard that the Shiba Nationals were held there before. My impression is older, dog-friendly, budget-friendly hotel. Could use some renovation.
    I stayed there in the early 90s for a water polo tournament at Claremont Mudd Scripps College. The Hotel Claremont has come a LONG way since then. We will have a couple RV spots to offer up soon as well as a bank of rooms.
  • Ok, I would be interested in rooms for a few nights since we don't have an RV yet :(

I mostly attend shows for socializing, even if Im not entered.
  • So... Lindsay.. Carpool? :D

I just sent in Tavi's AKC FSS, so we will be ready!
  • OMG yes!!!
  • TAVIIII!!!! :D oh god, why does this event have to be so far away?!
  • edited April 2014
    I dunno if I'll be able to go but if I can't, and if somebody is up to the challenge...
    They can take Katana for me.

I won't know until like, October. I cannot predict what my work schedule will be like so far in advance. I don't even know what the upcoming week will be like... Gotta love agriculture.
  • TAVIIII!!!! :D oh god, why does this event have to be so far away?!
    LOL, what? It's only in LA, @mdokic! We can even team up and bring a collection of SD beers! :D

@lindsayt, are you bringing any Shibas? I would so LOVE to meet Ike!
  • Ah, i see i phrased that strange...i meant far away (in time) :P Why can't it be sooner is what i shouldve said hahaha, but collection of SD beers is good!
  • If we are taking a van, we can take Katana. And we will not be coming empty handed ;)
  • Haha! Sorry I read that wrong @mdokic ;)

At some point we should take some beer requests. If anybody is partial to any SD microbrews, just name it.

@lindsayt, yeeesss!