Picky About Pre-made Raw Brands

This isn't an issue, but I was curious to see if anyone else had any experience with this. And to see if anyone has any ideas why. Of course, it could just part of heuniqueness of being Meitou, lol.

I've noticed he can be picky about what brands of pre-made raw he will eat (and even be a little picky about varieties within a brand). He likes Stella and Chewy's, his favorite is the venison so that is the one I get the most. He likes Nature's Variety, also. Haven't had that one much recently to know for sure which varieties he prefers. There is also another brand I was recently introduced to that he likes the lamb variety (the only one I have tried of it so far because I now know he likes it). I believe the name is My Perfect Pet raw food: http://www.myperfectpetfood.com/index.html . The lamb variety is called Roxy's blend.

He does not like Primal. Well, I've bought chicken backs and turkey necks sold by Primal and he loves those, but since they aren't pre-made they don't exactly count. I tried the turkey rolls and the rabbit patties and he refused to eat both of those (but he normally likes turkey things). I've been hesitant to try another Primal variety since. I was also recently introduced to the brand Northwest Naturals, so I thought I would try it to see how Meitou liked it. I got chicken thinking, what can go wrong with chicken? I don't know what, but apparently something can, because Meitou refuses to eat this one, too.

Again, it isn't really an issue because my elderly Border Collie eats almost anything and she happily eats the stuff Meitou refuses to touch. I'm just kind of curious if there may be anything behind Meitou's behavior outside of Meitou being an individual. ;)

Comments

• I think its pretty normal. Kiyoshi can be picky. He likes Stella and is sometimes picky about the Primal. He won't eat the Primal chicken but he'll eat the turkey. He won't eat the Primal beef but he'll eat the Stella. Its very weird.

I guess its just like how we might prefer one brand of chicken (or anything) over another for the food we eat. (Unless that's just a 'me' thing) lol
  • edited April 2014
    I think it's normal for a dog to be choosy about some things. Conker is picky as all getout. Granted three of my dogs will eat just about anything, but if it's normal for a person to dislike a certain food item or brand (I hate all commercial tortillas except Don Pancho, for example) then why can't a dog have preferences?
    I'd only worry about it if he wouldn't eat anything, or only one or two food items, or had other symptoms of illness or began to lose weight.
  • Thanks @Losech and @Dragonfly Makes sense he's just expressing his preferences, which I thought might be the case. Just a little curious and it certainly isn't a problem. ;) The Border Collie loves having the stuff Meitou doesn't like all to herself. It's funny though, because Meitou will see her eating it and want it, then realize it is one he doesn't like and then he'll whine, lol.
  • Saigo was very picky about pre-made raw brands. We preferred the local companies anyway so didn't spend much time with Primal (which he wasn't crazy about). We are purchasing from www.dogsloveraw.com for his tripe and other blends but we'll also just feed stuff from the butchers.
  • Bella hates pheasant luckily Saya likes it.. Saya doesn't care for bone in groundhog, but Bella likes it. Saya does like groundhog liver, kidneys..

Saya loves the pre made raw I've given, but she only gets those when being boarded. I plan get my own grinder eventually.
  • Keiko is picky with her brands. I've been feeding her a complete raw food and I bought a different brand (slightly cheaper) for her to try and she turned her nose up at it!

I thought it's typical I've got a pup with expensive taste lol it's common with JA's to be picky and she doesn't really like turkey that much either whichever type I get!
  • i don't feed complete raw but we have picky moments with all ours, god alone knows why cause they know very well that not eating leads to the same meal been fed until they do. i don't do picky, there for the dogs know that if they are picky they go hungry. have to say they rarely have picky moments these days but they cave way before i do.