Meitou Hokkai Komatsu

Comments

• Love the play snow pics and video he's such a handsome dog.
  • edited February 2014
    @Krisz More Maru and Seta pics, please. :)

@Saya Thank you!

@WrylyBrindle Yeah, he got pretty excited for the scritches. :)

----

This is inspired by the vet techs at the vet office I take my dogs to, because they can never say Meitou's name correctly, lol. (They're very awesome vet techs so this is just for fun, not because I'm frustrated)

A Handy Guide on How to Pronounce My Dog's Name:

His name is Meitou.
    This is not pronounced May-two no matter how many times you say it.
    Pronounce it like the month (May) and the thing at the end of your foot (toe).
    So, let's practice. May-toe. May-toe.
    Got it?

;)

Nicknames: Toad or Tato (like potato, without the po). Tato is usually what I call him. It all started because a little cousin couldn't pronounce his name. And the way she said it ended up sticking and his most used nickname.

Other random fact: People used to think his name was NATO. Uh....
  • like To-Mato...
  • That, too. :)

So during our big snow days there was one day I was out walking Meitou and I cam across a family sledding down a somewhat steep road. ANd I overheard one of the children say "Oh! A wolf!" Hahahaha, nice try, kid.

And today when I took Meitou to pick up some premade raw from one of my favorite supply stores there was a new employee and she asked what sort of dog Meitou was. I said, "He's a Hokkaido." And she asked, "What sort of mix is that?" She was honestly curious, not trying to be rude, so I just gave her a short explanation on the breed. I thought it was an amusing experience.

And today I also went to a craft store and I was told that the first 15 minutes after I left Meitou cried and howled (he does this when he think he is supposed to go with me). And for a forty-five minutes after I had left he waited at the door or tried looking out the window. I was told at one point he went outside, around one side of the house, and he howled there a bit. The family member relaying the story said, "It was almost like he was trying to call you back home."

• A short video of Maru at Best in show ring: you find him 2:55.

http://ebugatta.tv/hu/nyitooldal/hirek/fehova-winter-dog-show-2014-02-15-bis
  • That, too. :)

So during our big snow days there was one day I was out walking Meitou and I cam across a family sledding down a somewhat steep road. ANd I overheard one of the children say "Oh! A wolf!" Hahahaha, nice try, kid.

And today when I took Meitou to pick up some premade raw from one of my favorite supply stores there was a new employee and she asked what sort of dog Meitou was. I said, "He's a Hokkaido." And she asked, "What sort of mix is that?" She was honestly curious, not trying to be rude, so I just gave her a short explanation on the breed. I thought it was an amusing experience.

And today I also went to a craft store and I was told that the first 15 minutes after I left Meitou cried and howled (he does this when he think he is supposed to go with me). And for a forty-five minutes after I had left he waited at the door or tried looking out the window. I was told at one point he went outside, around one side of the house, and he howled there a bit. The family member relaying the story said, "It was almost like he was trying to call you back home."
    How about this one girl told me she was 100% sure Athena is a shiba inu. Lol she has a cream shiba.

• Hopefully withing the next week I will have video documentation of this: Meitou is learning two new tricks. I'm teaching him "Kung Fu" (because I don't want to call it beg and I didn't think "sit pretty" worked for a boy) and he watched Amy getting treats for "wave" and started teaching himself that. So I'm thinking I need to get some "in process" video to document his process.

I'm not sure why I used so many quotes there.

As for a few small updates:

For the last few days Meitou has been taking treats on walks again. Not all the time, and he still doesn't always respond to them, but I found a couple things that at least work a little bit. Freeze dried duck and treats made from salmon. I'm also going to start dehydrating my own stuff (family members willing to led me their dehydrators) and I'm going to attempt (very carefully) to freeze dry something.

Meitou is also enrolled in classes for reactive dogs to nip his newly growing reactivity issues (with other dogs). I'm pretty excited for the class because I really need the help, lol.

....And I wish I knew some dogs Meitou could meet and play with. Amy is too old and doesn't like him enough to play usually, and most of the people I know with dogs have dogs who don't like other dogs or are old. He needs someone to rough-play with.

Oh! @lindsayt If you want to use any of the pictures I posted of Meitou on the HANA website, feel free. Or I can try to get a better photo of him if you would like.
  • All of these Meitou pictures are awesome @WhoBitMe :) He's such a happy guy, and handsome too! You have some really great hiking locations. Ren and I are super jealous!
  • @cezieg Aw, thanks. :) We do have plenty of awesome places to hike around here. Tons of 'em, lol. Meitou loves to be out hiking. And I think he's pretty handsome, too. Though sometimes I tell him he looks like a girl because he's not very beefy, hahaha. Are you still moving out to Portland?
  • @cezieg Aw, thanks. :) We do have plenty of awesome places to hike around here. Tons of 'em, lol. Meitou loves to be out hiking. And I think he's pretty handsome, too. Though sometimes I tell him he looks like a girl because he's not very beefy, hahaha. Are you still moving out to Portland?
    Haha well he's definitely a good looking pup, he's just streamlined vs beefy. Kinda like how Juno is a foxy runner and Matsu is a stocky wrestler. The plan is still to move out to Portland! I just need to graduate + get certified from my welding course and build up some work experience (probly in the oil field for a year). That way I can pick up a shipbuilding job in Seattle or heavy duty powerplant/high pressure pipe gig around Portland. Otherwise it'll be $12/hr shop work :P So it's still the plan, just had to be pushed back a little bit due to job market!
  • edited March 2014
    @cezieg Totally understand the job stuff. :) Well, if you move to Portland (vs Seattle) I can point you to some good sources to find awesome hikes.

~

And now for some photo spam. A couple Fridays ago after work it wasn't raining so I took the dogs hiking. We weren't out for long because it got dark pretty soon and Amy decided part way that she wasn't really all that excited to be out. We were able to find another trailhead to a longer trail that attaches to the one we were on so I can take Meitou there once the weather is a bit better.

I apologize for the quality of the photos. My camera did not like the low-light conditions and I'm not a particularly stellar photographer. And Meitou just does not cooperate and look at the camera.

IMG_9652

IMG_9654

IMG_9657

IMG_9658

IMG_9659

I almost expect him to slide away in this next pic due to the angle.

IMG_9660

IMG_9661

IMG_9662

IMG_9663

I unclipped Amy's leash from her harness. She can't go fast enough to get into trouble so I felt like it would be fine letting her be off leash (I had done this once before). And you know what? She wouldn't move. At all. No matter how much a coaxed her. So she got attached back up to her leash and she was willing to move again.

IMG_9665

IMG_9673

IMG_9678

IMG_9689

One of these dogs is photobombing....

IMG_9690

IMG_9691

IMG_9699

IMG_9700

So Meitou recently experienced an air mattress for the first time. He loves to poke it with his nose.

IMG_9706

IMG_9707

IMG_9708

IMG_9709

IMG_9712

• IMG_9715

IMG_9717

Amy is waiting back there because I would throw her treats back there.

And here are some "wave" and "kung fu" videos. And apparently some turning the head to the right because somehow he thinks I'm training him to do that, too.

• edited March 2014
    So, Saturday (March 15th) I went to a Barn Hunt trial with Meitou. It was fun, but I felt pretty self conscious the entire time because I was terrified, lol.

"What am I doing here?"

IMG_9721

"Who are all these people and why do they all have dogs?"

IMG_9722

"More of them!"

IMG_9724

He doesn't know why he is still in the car. Once we get somewhere he thinks that means he shouldn't have to wait in cars.

IMG_9725

And of course he had to smell things.

IMG_9727

While we were waiting for our turn for the instinct test we got to meet @lindsayt and Ike and Farrah. I have much respect for Ike, he put up with Meitou amazingly well. Because Meitou is very fond of being inappropriate and licking other dogs in very personal places. I'm really, really sorry about that. There was a cream Shiba there, too, that really excited Meitou for some reason. It was cute because I saw the cream Shiba and they saw Meitou and we're like "cousins!"

Anyway....Meitou's turn for the instinct test came and I had no idea what he was going to do. Honestly, I was betting that he'd poop or pee in the ring and get disqualified even though I pottied him several times beforehand. I also didn't think he would willingly do a tunnel or jump up on anything. Not that those things were required for instinct, but they were set up to see if the dog would do them, I guess.

Anyway, here is some video of Meitou's instinct test:

After saying hi to the volunteer he smelled the closest tube and seemed pretty interested. And then threw himself down to try and roll in the smell. I was told many times afterward that my dog that the most unique find.It didn't take very long.

I also did a novice run with Meitou, but we didn't do so well there. From the get-go he was trying to roll on things and I kind of paniced and called "rat" without really getting him to explore. Again, I was totally terrified and let the panic get to my head. But at least everyone watching got a good laugh at Meitou and he was having a god time. He even tried to give @sandrat888 a kiss when she went to show him where the rat was actually hidden.

The video of the novice run didn't turn out (way blurry and Meitou was behind hay bales for most of it) so I didn't bother to upload it. Plus I felt kind of dumb during that one, hahaha.

Afterward Meitou and I wandered around for a bit and found a gazebo to take pictures in.

IMG_9732

IMG_9733

IMG_9734

IMG_9735

IMG_9736

IMG_9737

Then he got to meet Farrah. She had to tell him off eventually because he was all up in her business, lol. Again, sorry @lindsayt

IMG_9740

IMG_9741

Later we went to watch some of the more advanced dogs.

IMG_9744

IMG_9745

The cutest snacks ever...

IMG_9746

IMG_9747

IMG_9748

I had a lot of people approach me with "You're the one with dog breed that's impossible to pronounce," "What's his beed again?" and "I'm not even going to try and pronounce his name." LOL Meitou's name also got horribly misspelled on the run order roster. Either I had heinous handwriting that day or his name is harder to spell that I expected. ;)

I left a little after 11am since I needed to get back home to get ready for Meitou's class that was in the afternoon. He was pretty tired after that. ;)
  • And a few last pictures from tonight.

Trying to get some decent shots of his face.

IMG_9756

IMG_9757

IMG_9758

He fell asleep with his head behind his bed which is up against the wall because I have to take it to our class and I never got around to putting it down.

IMG_9760

IMG_9761

And the next pictures are a series to show the happy relaxed face when people pet him just right.

IMG_9762

IMG_9763

IMG_9764

IMG_9765

IMG_9766

IMG_9767

We also went walking on a river trail today, but I didn't take any pictures (rainy!). But Meitou found horse poop to roll in. Good job, Meitou, Good job. Luckily the rain washed it off.
  • Paging Dr Meitou, proctology exam on Ike!

It was super awesome to meet you guys, and he is one cool dog. Ike is very chill and I am glad he could be a good neutral dog for him to meet. Meitou sure has a forward greeting tho!

Here is a video of his Novice run. He was very fun to watch!
  • @lindsayt LOL Thank you for uploading that video. I'm glad you liked Meitou. I was afraid he would do something that would make people dislike him and I want NK forum people to like him. :)
  • I really like him! We all understand the NKs, and I don't think he would do anything naughty that 1000 Shibas hadn't fiendishly pulled already.
  • @lindsayt I'm glad to hear that. :) He seems to be a bit much for some people so I worry. But he can be very charming when he wants to be. He hasn't slept in his kennel at night in a long time. He sleeps outside my bedroom door or at the base of the stairs (right across from my door). It makes mornings pretty fun to have him be the first thing to greet me. And of course Amy is often nearby (though she has some places she loves to sleep in other places in the house).
  • On a hike today Meitou tried to climb a tree today. What he really wanted as to get into the creek that was a few feet below us and the tree we were near had broken and was bent into a L shape that stuck out over the creek. And he cried to climb up to the bent part which was cute, but also terrifying because it was in no way thick enough to hold him.

On Sunday I had also taken him on a "hike" (more like a nature walk since the old dog was tagging along so I went somewhere flat and easy) with my parents. My dad was telling me how Meitou is mostly a good dog but has a little "wanpaku" (which he said means something like "naughtiness.") and that if I get another Japanese dog I should could consider naming it wanpaku. Which is cute, but also seems like it would come back to haunt me, lol.
  • Love these pics and videos Meitou such handsome guy. :)
  • @Saya Thanks! I was wondering, did Saya always like raw organs and whole fish? I've been trying to branch out the raw part of Meitou's diet. He refuses to eat organs (kidney and liver that came with a turkey). And when I first gave him a whole fish he ate everything except a little bit of organ. The other two times I tried he only ate the body, and left the head and any organs. He gets smelt on a regular basis and loves it, but the packages I buy have no heads or organs. I was wondering if there is a way I can get him to be more willing to eat these things, or should I just not worry about feeding those types of items if he doesn't want to eat them (lol, he's even picky about pre-made raw brands).

Anyway, Saturday night one of my sister's and I went to see if a mutual friend was at work (retail). Since she was, we decided we should buy something. The following photos are results of our purchases.

IMG_9769

IMG_9772

IMG_9780

IMG_9781

IMG_9782

IMG_9783

IMG_9784

IMG_9786

(Notice in the next photo how Freaky Cat has his feet up against the sliding glass door in an odd pose)

IMG_9787

IMG_9795

IMG_9796

IMG_9797

IMG_9798

IMG_9799

IMG_9800

IMG_9801

IMG_9803

This last shot was hard to get, because Meitou did not appreciate the hood being up. Everyone thought he looked like a little gangster.

IMG_9804

Just to put this out there, no, we don't normally dress up our pets. But we ended up buying these because they were cheap and we thought they would make cute pictures.

Surprisingly, Freaky Cat was totally chill with the whole thing. It helped we fed him a lot of lamb lung treats, which he loves above almost all other things. Meitou was not so fond. He didn't want to move, and when he did it was a little stiff. He pawed at the hood so I only put it up for a few seconds. He also got treats during this and it seemed to help. ;)
  • Meitou was wondering how he was supposed to put his front paws in that muff pocket on his back! :D
  • @WrylyBrindle LOL That could be it. It would be pretty hard to get his paws in there.
  • Love the kitty pics. :3

Saya when she was new to raw she did not like kidneys, tongue or heart. She eventually grew to like these and is excited to eat stuff like heart, kidneys and tongue, but some dogs just don't like organs..

With Saya I offered her normal meals and offered tiny piece of frozen kidney before giving her normal meal most times she refused it. I would just put it back in freeze to try another time.

If she was getting either ground meat, egg, canned sardines or salmon I'd put the small piece of kidney in those and she'd eat it since it was hidden. sometimes with the egg she'd pick it out.

I'd continue to offer tiny piece and eventually she would eat it. I then increased the size to 1oz and eventually to 1 and 1/2 oz then 2oz. I did same for the heart and tongue.

Recently I got a big order from hare today whole quail which she loves. I decided to try whole sardines and herring got four bags of sardine and four of herring each bag is 2lbs.

Saya loves the sardines she always liked the canned ones, but never had raw ones before. She gets excited for them, but when I tried a whole herring she only ate the head and then left the rest. I offered it another day and she refused it turning her head away like it is yucky and walking away or trying to bury it.

I then cut a portion up into small pieces mixed with ground ewe and she ate the ewe and the herring bits mixed with it. I did that again mixed bits when she got ground ewe or honest kitchen zeal and egg.

She has had whole herring a couple times this past month and ate it all no problem.

There are some owners on other dog forums where they have to mix the liver and kidneys with ground meat in order for the dog to eat them. Some give it cooked and the dog would eat it fine cooked.

Some say tough love works, but sometimes it doesn't know amount of tough love would get Bella to eat pheasant she didn't like it even putting salmon oil on it she just licked that off and left the pheasant. Luckily Saya loves wild game birds so she ate it. plus since she liked other things it wasn't necessary for her to eat it so I didn't push it.

I'd try hiding the items in stuff like ground meat, or something the dog likes, then cooking it and if cooking works then do that and eventually work where you cook it less and less then just sear it then raw. and if cooked is only way that might be only way.

Cooking does reduce some of nutritional value some, but it is still fine. I sometimes cook things like gizzards, bits of liver and boneless meat and once done cooking add water too it to boil bit for little broth and use the meat and broth as kibble topper for Bella.. She and Saya likes it kinda like a doggy soup..
  • He looks a lot like my Kishu, Kishin. Kinda funny.
  • @Saya Oh, thanks for the tips! Not sure why I didn't think to try some of those.

@BradA1878 He does look a bit like Kishin, doesn't he. :) Hmn, and now that Kishin has been brought up....I think the forum could use some Kishin pictures. Just sayin'.

----

Upcoming update: Took Meitou hiking near the coast and went to the beach afterward. Photos and video coming soon.
  • edited April 2014
    Okay. Here are the pictures and video I took during Meitou's coastal hike/beach exploration from the previous weekend. A bunch of family and one of my friends came also. For the most part Meitou had a good time, though the rude off-leash dogs were a dark spot on an otherwise good day. The state park we hiked in has a 'dogs must be on leash when on the trails' rule, and a couple had their dogs loose jogging with them and as soon as they saw Meitou their dogs rushed him. Boo.

I apologize for the all the doggy butt-shots. He was attached to my waist and it was the most common view.

Once upon a time a little skinny Hokkaido boy went for a hike.

IMG_9805

He had to stay on leash, so he stuck his tongue out in displeasure.

IMG_9806

But at least there were tons of logs to climb and things to pee on, so it wasn't a total loss.

IMG_9807

And then, hark! Water to drink!

IMG_9808

IMG_9810

IMG_9811

IMG_9812

IMG_9814

IMG_9815

IMG_9817

There were many muddy boggy places, but that didn't stop the Hokkaido from pulling his human through them. Shoes and puppy toes got very muddy, even when all creatures involved tried to use logs to cross the ickiest bits.

IMG_9819

IMG_9820

Much to Meitou's amusement, there were many roots for humans to trip on. Tripping happened A LOT.

IMG_9821

IMG_9822

IMG_9823

IMG_9824

And of course all proper white dogs must roll in the mud.

IMG_9826

IMG_9828

IMG_9829

IMG_9831

IMG_9832

"What'chu lookin' at, Foo'?"

IMG_9833

IMG_9834

IMG_9835

IMG_9836

Meitou made an effort to randomly photobomb.

IMG_9837

Not here, though.

IMG_9838

IMG_9839

IMG_9840

IMG_9841

There was much pretending mushrooms were not clinging to trees.

IMG_9842

IMG_9843

IMG_9844

IMG_9845

IMG_9853

IMG_9855

IMG_9856

And this is right before the loose dogs made a stain upon Meitou's day.

IMG_9857

IMG_9858

IMG_9859

IMG_9860

And....here I must pause. I have a ton more photos coming, I just feel like they shouldn't all be in one post. I'm afraid the forum will tell me that my post will be too big otherwise.
  • That looks like a really cool place to hike!
  • @Losech It was pretty cool. It's at Oswald West State Park just south of Cannon Beach.

-----

The first epic vantage point had a big cliff, and naturally Meitou want to climb down it.

IMG_9862

IMG_9864

IMG_9865

This isn't a log out in the ocean. It was one of the many surfers out at Smugger's Cove.

IMG_9866

IMG_9869

IMG_9870

IMG_9871

IMG_9872

The second vantage was yet another cliff and....of course Meitou wanted to go out to the very edge.

IMG_9873

IMG_9874

IMG_9876

IMG_9878

Once the white Hokkaido puppy got into the sun, he decided he needed to become one with the sun glare and merge into the ocean.

IMG_9875

IMG_9877

As humans loitered at the viewpoint the little skinny Hokkaido reminded them of his love of peeing in tall grass.

IMG_9880

IMG_9882

IMG_9883

IMG_9884

Upon returning to the vehicles we drove until we found a picnic area near Arcadia Beach where we had lunch. At that point most people headed home, but one of my sisters, our close friend and I decided to roam Arcadia Beach before going home.

And those beach pics will be in their own post. ;)
  • The beach was awesome, if windy. But it took me a while to figure out how to take decent photos in the sun. So I took a lot of video as well as photos to be sure I had some decent shots.

Otherwise they would have all been like this: A leg and a dog butt. Plus also my finger in the corner.

IMG_9893

IMG_9898

And there were jellyfish?

IMG_9899

And this:

IMG_9900

A good story always has digging in it, and sand is made for digging.

IMG_9901

IMG_9902

IMG_9903

The ocean vanished from this shot.

IMG_9910

IMG_9912

No one was sure what this was.

IMG_9913

Meitou wanted to drink their seat water.

IMG_9914

IMG_9915

One human started to write "Pokemon," and Meitou promptly peed on the the letter P.

IMG_9916

IMG_9917

A video of the finished product:

IMG_9925

IMG_9926

IMG_9927

IMG_9928

IMG_9929

IMG_9930

IMG_9931

IMG_9932

IMG_9933

IMG_9935

Who says it's windy?

IMG_9936

IMG_9937

IMG_9938

IMG_9939

It was windy enough to send that frisbee rolling on its side for a very long time.

IMG_9940

IMG_9941

IMG_9943

IMG_9944

IMG_9945

MORE DIG

IMG_9946

IMG_9947

IMG_9948

Sandy nose

IMG_9949

IMG_9950

Kung Fu on the Beach

IMG_9951

He kept touching his sandy nose my glasses.

IMG_9952

IMG_9953

But dogs just pretend they didn't put sand on your glasses and act like they have been digging the whole time.

IMG_9955

IMG_9956

Sand is good to roll in.

IMG_9957