Pacific Northwest forum meetup and Barn Hunt fun?

I will be trialing with my boy Koji at the St. Helen's (in Oregon) Barn Hunt trial in mid March (March 15 and March 16). Anyone in the area wanting to come out and take a stab at this fun sports and meet other NK owners? I know @lindsayt is considering coming.

@WhoBitMe, you should come out and try this! This should be fun.... The pup only needs to be 6 months and older to play. Anyone else wants to come out and play???

You can find the trial premium and entry form here, http://riverratbarnhunt.com/upcoming-events.html

Comments

• edited February 2014
    @sandrat888 Oh! Awesome! I would love to try this out with Meitou. Does a dog need to be registered with any particular registry to be able to enter?

My only concern is that I'm working on getting him into some classes that are Saturday afternoons, but I think I should be able to make it in the morning.

If it works out and I can make it, I apologize in advance for Meitou's crazy behavior. :)
  • You need to do a one time registration with the Barn Hunt organization.

I am planning to attend with 2 dogs :)
  • @WhoBitMe

Like @lindsayt said, you need to register the dog with Barn Hunt Association before you can enter in a sanctioned trial. You can easily register online http://barnhunt.com/register-your-dog/

You think your BC Amy may be interested too? There is a very good BC in the PNW that is very fun to watch. Tashi is a 3 year old BC rescue and he is a great little hunter. I know Angela (Tashi's mom) will be there competing and Tashi is the first Barn Hunt Master (RATM) dog in the Pacific Northwest. If you do come, you will be amazed at how well Tashi works.

Koji is also competing at the Master level, but we are 2 legs short of getting our title. Other breeds that do well in the area is a Norwegian Elkhound named Loki. The Great Danes (Trooper and Banker) are also Master level dogs and very fun to watch. All the breeds just search very differently, but they all excel at the sports that most think a terrier will dominate.
  • Thanks for pointing me toward the Barn Hunt Association for registration. I'll have to look into that. You know, I'd never considered if my Border Collie would be interested in it or not. I suppose I could try her at it. But she's not all that steady on her feet anymore so I do worry a bit about how she'd handle it. She's almost fifteen, is that too old for Barn Hunt?
  • @WhoBitMe

You know your dog best, so it is up to you to decide if it is something she may be interested in. I know a couple with 2 senior dogs (an Airedale and a Bellington Terrier, 14 and 12 years old) that did really well in Barn Hunt in the Pacific Northwest.

• @loesch Katana + barn hunt = best story ever
  • @cdenney LOL I think he'd manage to bring the whole place down! Video evidence would be a necessity.

I don't think I'm gonna be able to go. Work is picking up, and I've got a barbecue to go to that weekend. Maybe but probably not.
  • @sandrat888 I was wondering, if I were to enter Meitou into the instinct test/novice for Saturday morning, would I be finished in time to get back to Portland by 3:00 for Meitou's class? I'm not sure how long the trials run.
  • We are going to be there Sunday for the afternoon trial. :)
  • @sandrat888 I was wondering, if I were to enter Meitou into the instinct test/novice for Saturday morning, would I be finished in time to get back to Portland by 3:00 for Meitou's class? I'm not sure how long the trials run.
    Instincts is usually ran first thing in the morning. For Novice, you should check with the trial secretary (see the premium for contact info) for Saturday morning's running order (which class will start after Instinct). Look forward to seeing you and Meitou again!
  • After today's UKC show was completed, one of the judges mentioned that there's a really good Shiba doing Barn Hunt in the Northwest. ;-)
  • Video of Meitou's instinct test. I also posted these in his thread.

I had a lot of people approach me with "You're the one with dog breed that's impossible to pronounce," "What's his beed again?" and "I'm not even going to try and pronounce his name." LOL Meitou's name also got horribly misspelled on the run order roster. Either I had heinous handwriting that day or his name is harder to spell that I expected. ;)
  • This was a fun Barn Hunt with Kai, Shiba and Hokkaido. I think everyone did a really good job. Koji got his Master title (first Shiba to score so high), Sam (Farrah's nephew) got Instinct and I think a Novice leg, Meitou got Instinct, Tavi did not but she did AMAZING and was confident and actively working, Sam's brother and another Shiba were also there running in Open, Farrah got her Novice title (RATN), and Ike really surprised me by beating everyone else to get a High in Trial which completed his Novice title (also RATN).

Here is Meitou: