Nippo Classic 2014 FALL

For those whom aren't on the mailing list this year it will be in the fall either in Chicago or Detroit. I'll copy the email over when on my computer. I guess for 2015 they will have 2 events?

Comments

• What!?! I just got the email...So the classic won't be till Sept? That's a big change...so instead of less than 3 months away it's now 7 months away :( I'm so disappointed.
  • "Forwarding/crossposting permitted

In Nov 2013, three members of the Colonial Club attended the Grand National and had opportunity to speak with the Nippo leadership regarding the Classic event. At that time, Nippo suggested they would like us to look at both a Spring and Fall event.

With that in mind, rather than attempting to do Spring and add a Fall in the first year, we are planning for only a Fall Classic in 2014 to determine the level of interest and support for an event at that time of year. We will then evaluate how our future events will be scheduled.

So when and where? TBD. We are looking to mid/late Sept. As we need to be within a couple hours of a major airport with direct flights to Japan, we are looking at sites close to Detroit and close to Chicago.

If you know of a potential site, please see additional information at the Nippo Classic website http://nippoclassic.org/ and provide information via the contact form on the site.

We appreciate the inquiries and interest in the Classic and look forward to evaluating the potential of two events per year.

Maggi Strouse
    for Colonial Shiba Club"
  • LoL, this timing works better for me.
  • This timing also may work better for me, too, depending exactly which weekend it is. (May was an absolute no-go for me because of my new job.)

Either location will suffice, since I will have to fly in either way. So I will probably be sans dogs if I end up going. (Sorry to all the B&N fans out there... You will just have to come to the east coast to meet them!)
  • Damn,
    Kurenai *just* blew her coat so she'd have been in coat at the normal classic time. I guess she's going to continue possibly being out of coat during the Classic as a tradition:)

Jesse
  • What!?! I just got the email...So the classic won't be till Sept? That's a big change...so instead of less than 3 months away it's now 7 months away :( I'm so disappointed.
    HAHA Less competition for ATHENA!! Shell still be a pup!

>:)
  • This works better for me also
  • edited February 2014
    Better for me too- money is just not there for dog extracurriculars this spring, I couldnt have made May. But I would love to see everyone again and show Matsu as an adult this time :)

Even so, I am not sure I'll make it to Chicago, Detroit is a stretch but more drivable... we will need a New England/New York Caravan.
  • @Shikoku - You've gotta have enoough competition to place lol So that could be a good/bad thing. Hopefully a there's a good turn out for the Shikoku though :)

Fall will work out fine for me I guess...
  • Oh...both locations are much further for us now. We'll have to see when the time draws closer.
  • This works so much better for me and my pups.
  • Also, you don't need the breed competition. The judge can award BOB with less than five dogs if he wants to. He can also withhold placements entirely if he wants to. So just worry about your dog, don't worry about the competition, because ultimately it doesn't matter.
  • If is ends up in Chicago I will not make it. To far to travel for me since I have to take all my dogs with me. Also Sept might not be a good time as I might have a litter on the ground then.
  • I hope its in chicago, That'd be closer and easier for us to get to. And with it being in the fall I should have the bf back just in time for the classic!
  • Since people are throwing dates I guess I'll make this semi official for the west coast.

JACA put in for a multi breed show on Nov 2nd 2014 in Claremont California. For the following breeds JA AA Shikoku Kai Kishu Hokkaido Shiba and Jindo. I'm just getting my judges squared away this weekend.

The hotel is at the show site. So if you guys could avoid nov 2 this would be a great chance to get the Nihonken together.
  • Sept is much better for me as well. It would have been pretty difficult to make it up there in May with my husband and I back in school for a bit. At least in September I will be able to take leave. @Dragonfly @Shikoku When it gets closer to that time, we should get together & talk about maybe caravaning up
  • @NavyDog - That would be a good idea, especially depending on where it is. Hopefully they announce where it'll be with enough time in advance to make arrangements.
  • Wow, Cali is waaay closer for us! That is more doable, and probably easier to get any Hokkas to.
  • *JackBurton* I don't think you will have to worry, November 2 in general is too cold to have an outdoor even in Detroit and/or Chicago. You probably could but it wouldn't be very comfortable and folks would be bundled up. Historically high temps around that time are in the low to mid 40s. It looks like the event has to be held outdoors so middle to end of September is nice because its cooled down from summer but not too cold yet.
  • I just threw out the date so we don't conflict. I agree might be a bit chilly :)
  • cold is good, dogs are in coat! ;)
  • Not always the case. single digit temps here and my shiba just blew his coat :)
  • I saw pics of the nordic breeds show in europe and it was outside in the snow- and yeah, people did look cold, but it also seemed really appropriate, too.
  • With the way the NIPPO Classic runs, I think it's also more for the benefit of the judge and his/her assistants. If there are a lot of entries it pretty much takes the whole day. The show starts at 8. We were there from 7:30 to 5:30 and left before everything was done. I think they get a 30-40 min lunch break and that's it. I was underdressed in May (with a sweater and such) and miserable. I can't imagine being part of the judging and standing outside in 25-40f weather for 10 hours.
  • Oh, I think the fall will probably be better for me. ;) And California is closer... hmn..... so many options.
  • Not sure if everyone saw this or not, but the Classic will be held for sure Mid to Late September and will be in the Chicago area. Maggie is taking venue suggestions on the website via a form, and has the show site requirements listed. If anyone in the Chicago area knows of a good place for us, or has an idea of one, please share.

http://www.nippoclassic.org/
  • Hmmm, if it's Chicago then I most likely won't make it. No way I can afford that and CA so close together.
  • I'm so sorry you won't make it, but I totally understand. This is in addition to the Spring show, if it takes off there will be 2 shows a year! I've been very excited about that when I learned of the meeting. Of course, Chicago and the Ohio venue are about equal distance. I'm fortunate to not necessarily need to take more than who I'm showing. Gads, I hope to have some puppies for sweeps this year, it so much fun to take the little ones. If everything works out, I should have one or two to show in sweeps, anyway. ;)
  • @KobushiShiba so this year it's just one show (in Sept) right?
  • @MapleTwinkie, Yes, this year is only the Fall show. Next year the plan is to have both Spring and Fall, provided the Fall has nice enough numbers to warrant it.