Most ridiculous vet visit ever (UPDATED with MORE ridiculousness)

Comments

• My vet was OK with us not spaying Yume when he heard she was a rarer breed. What really surprised me was when we got her microchipped their was an option for Ainu-inu as a breed!
  • Calmy walk out. Not worth your emotion.
  • We went to a different vet today and it was 100x better than our last experience. All the staff greeted us when we came in and everyone fawned over him, he loved the attention of course. We went straight back and they were all amazed by the japanese on his vaccine slip. I asked if they'd ever heard of the Shikoku before and of course they hadn't so I offered them some info on the breed that I had printed out before hand just incase ;) They were all gathered around the computer googling it anyway. The vet read what I gave them before coming in so she had a general idea of what he was. She was 100% supportive of keeping him intact. They did a great job handling him during the exam and giving him his shots. He was a little fussy when she checked his teeth but she handled it very well and was patient with him. We had some really good conversations to boot. I'm looking forward to our next visit :)
  • Sweet! It's nice having a good vet that you don't have to constantly argue with.
  • beautiful! a happy ending! :)
  • edited November 2013
    I'm glad you found a good vet! It's surprisingly hard to find one that isn't either set in "the old ways" of declawing via nail clippers, drinking the corporate sales kool-aid in regards of neuter/spay 100% of the time no excuses, subscribers to dominance theory, and/or arrogant know-it-alls.

The last one that I worked with told me that I needed to be more heavy handed with Ren since she didn't think I was the alpha... and that she was the alpha. Anyone that has met us would know that's idiotic lol. (@Sangmort @hinata23)

Overall I've worked for around 12 vets, and would only have let maybe 4 of them ever work with Ren. So now that you've found a good one, hold on to them! :)
  • @cezieg Yeah... Ren and alpha in the same sentence is a bit weird. She's more of a buddy than a dominate girly.
  • That was only our first visit but I went back in today to drop off a stool sample and they already remembered exactly who I was and who my dog was. I moved his next appointment up to the 4th so that he'll have his rabies and all his shots done when we have the meet up on the 7th. It makes me nervous taking him to places like that without it, better safe than sorry.
  • @Dragonfly,

I am so, so sorry that you had to go through that! That's the last thing that any pet owner should have to deal with when going to the vet! I had a terrible vet visit as well. I was told to go to this office and the exam would be free. Well, never will I go with recommendations again. I go to a smaller clinic near my home. They are severely nice and friendly! They LOVE all animals equally! I sure hope you find the right veterinarian. It's so important to you and your pup. That way you get great customer service and your pup gets lovely attention from nurses and doctors! :) :) Your pup is absolutely adorable! Post some more pictures when you get a chance.
  • SOOO...we've gone to the vet again and of course they're all wonderful! I walk in the door and the one girl goes 'is this the dog' and the other one goes 'yeah that's the rare one from japan, she had him flown all the way here' and then another girl goes 'YEAH I was just googling him!' and then they go on to talk about how they're mystified by the Japanese on some of his paperwork..It was comical.

Anyway, I LOVE talking with this vet, we sat in the exam room after everything was done for about 30 minutes just talking about anything and everything. She mentioned to me that the company that manufactures the heartworm treatment here in the US officially and permanently shut down...and she only had a VERY limited supply. She said they might be able to get it from France but she didn't know. Apparently they had just gotten the email from the company right before I arrived stating that they would no longer be in production and to only offer any remaining treatments to severe cases. That's some scary stuff right there..

She also wants to give kiyoshi a 4TH parvo vaccine...He'll be 16 weeks the 21st and she insists I get a 4th when we go in on the 23rd. I think it's very much excessive but what do you guys think?
  • Sounds much better, except for the 4th parvo vaccine. Why? What is her justification for that? If they want to do a lot of vacs, that's not good either, unless there is some reason for the 4th shot? Have there been bad parvo outbreaks? But even if there were, I'm dubious about the need for a fourth vaccination (why would that give more immunity than the normal three?)

I'd refuse it myself, unless they could convince me of the need for it, which I have a hard time seeing, frankly. I don't even get all the shots done at the same time--like we are going in for my Akitas final round of puppy shots next week, but she will get the rabies shot at a separate time....it's just too much to give them all at once. (I follow Dr. Dodds vaccine protocol, and it is also what my breeder suggested).
  • She said that his immune system wouldn't fully protect him until 16 weeks and that they normally get the vaccines every couple weeks until they're 16 weeks to make sure they're immune system is up and running, or something of the sorts. I sort of stopped listening after she said 4th vaccine. I've never heard of doing 4 just because the dog is 16 weeks old
  • edited December 2013
    If you have had problems with reactions previously or with digestion or other immune issues, you could just leave it at three and at a year have a titer done and a fourth if the panel shows he needs it.

It also really depends on the parvo outbreaks in your area. Ask your vet how many there have been or what she has seen. In high risk situations it may be worth the fourth. Just depends.

As a side note: lot of vets prefer to give a fourth. It seems like many more than not. Each has their own protocol. It might be that the some of the parvo vaccs have not been as effective covering across multiple strains and are not fully protecting, or the manufacture is suggesting new protocol. Not sure, that's just speculation.

Snf
  • edited December 2013
    As I understand and have been told, vets like to do either 4 rounds of distemper/parvo (one every few weeks), or 3 rounds (one every 4 weeks)..so it's not too uncommon or strange..a lot of vets around here for whatever reason like to do the 4, which I did with Kona, but I got the 3 for Kimber :)
  • Wow, I've never had a dog get four. They get three usually: one by the breeder right before I get them (so 7-8 weeks). Then the next two a month apart. That's what my rather old school vets suggest, and that's what the other local vets I've been to suggest too. I prefer Dr. Dodds protocol for minimal vaccinations, here, and she says the third vaccination is optional:

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM

I wouldn't do four myself. I think it is unnecessary, and there is plenty of reasons to suggest over vaccinating dogs is not good, ESPECIALLY for Nihon Ken. While there hasn't been a lot of information on the other breeds, Akitas are a breed that are known to have bad reactions to vaccinations, and I've seen it in my Shibas too, so I believe it is likely that other NK probably tend toward this too.

• I've had one puppy (out of nine) who has bad reactions to vaccines. That was enough to convince my vet to let us do single shots of distemper and parvo instead of the 5-in-1 combo shot. Works well. But I think if they kept on the same pattern, my pups would also get 4 shots. They get shots at 4 & 8 or 6 & 9 weeks old in my care and need at least the third at 12. But I wouldn't be surprised if they get a 4th at 16 because they get rabies then.
  • Our previous dogs only ever had 3. I'm just not too keen on getting a 4th done, there haven't been any parvo outbreaks here recently and I don't see the need for it. I've always felt like 3 was overkill as it is
  • edited December 2013
    Completely agree! There must be some sort of play on immunization that goes on with the 4 vs 3...just telling you what i've heard, not sure why other vets like to do 4 rounds three weeks apart, but if we have anyone who knows more about the process and bio behind it they can probably explain it better! Like I said, I just did the 4 before with Kona because that was a different vet and they recommended that, but my current vet does the three, which is what Kimber got, and after talking with some people I'm glad we went with three. :)
  • @Dragonfly What Vet Is this? Im in your area as well, and its always good to have backups :)
  • @not4dagames - Its called Cooke Veterinary Medical Center :) What kind of dogs do you have? That's awesome your in my area
  • As follow up to the above....I was taking with a seasoned group of individuals with different breed dogs (sort of informal survey) and they all agreed that there is a varying degree of protocol/practices among the vets regarding vaccs and feeding. Regardless of breed most had to dump a one or two practitioners before they found the right fit. Yeah, it's always good to have a back up vet, you just never know when your regular doc will be out of town etc.

Snf
  • @Dragonfly , Sorry I lied- thought you were in Northern Virginia. Im in the DC Metro Area , Silver Spring to be Exact.
  • I read in another post that you are in Virginia Beach. Looks like the local SPCA there deals with Parvo fairly often. It could be that the Parvo risk is higher in your area, which would lead your vet to suggest a fourth Parvo vaccination.
    I agree that some vets over-vaccinate, and that more vaccinations means more risks, without necessarily providing more protection. However, Parvo can survive in the environment many months, and it can be lethal.
    This story is from 5 months ago. https://www.myworldnews.com/Channel/189-wavy/Story/178248-parvo-concerns-at-the-virginia-beach-spca
    This one is from 2009. http://www.examiner.com/article/deadly-parvo-outbreak-at-virginia-shelter-many-euthanized
  • Very good info
  • @not4dagames- im in va beach but I travel up to northern va every week. In fact I'm headed your way tonight :)

@RustyAngel - Thanks for the info. We go again next week but since he's going on 6 months idk if it'd still be necessary. I guess I'll find out
  • Should do a meetup one day
  • Soooo..went to do a water class with kiyoshi and I took his records in and they wouldn't take him because they said his 'distemper' was expired. Even though his record states that he's had 3, the vet recommend a 4th AND 5th in the notes box. I called and they said that they RECOMMEND vaccinating every 2 weeks until 20 weeks of age. So this place won't take his records because of that.

Its extremely frustrating and there's no way in hell I'm vaccinating him 5 times...

Should I get a new vet? Would they say the same thing?
  • Dumb. I don't take my dogs to places that require vaccination records for anything except rabies.

My vet(s) respects my decisions on if/when to vaccinate. I've just told them that is not up for debate, as is nutrition (unless I ask a question) and especially spay/neuter. They know that my dogs are very well cared for, and that I have done extensive research on these things so it's not like I just read some article online and suddenly decided not to do X because the internet said so.

Anywho, vets who push things on me don't get my business. I wouldn't vaccinate a pup 5 times, that is stupid. I do think vaccines are good, but not if overused, and I consider 4 times a bit excessive.
    Conker got 3 puppy combo vaccines (shelter told me to get a 4th but I never did) and 1 parvo/distemper when he was something over a year. He's not getting another one for another three years at least. I don't think I'm gonna vax the Girls again (except rabies because the law says so), they will be 9 this year. I do not think they need it.