NIPPO Classic 2014

Comments

• Well that sucks, if they win they can't go again? Guess I would be bringing Kurama next year if I go.

Jesse
  • It would take about 32 hours of solid driving to get there, but my route goes right thru Minneapolis. Maybe I can steal him...
  • Aw man... Goro has a ton of spots on his tongue... :(
  • edited November 2013
    There is a huge difference between the AKIHO and NIPPO preferences for type when it comes to the Japanese Akita. I happen to have a boy who fits the NIPPO style better than AKIHO. >.>

However, I do see potential for a lot of issues if this ever "goes big time" since there is absolutely nothing stopping a tweenie or even American Akita from entering the show. I don't think the latter would win, but I'm sure people with purebred JAs would be pretty ticked if a tweenie won. Even if the dog does resemble the standard better, it is an understanding that only purebred dogs are allowed to compete. (eg. I could find a fantastic looking Laborador in a shelter, but without the papers to show he is purebred, rightly would not be allowed to compete in conformation.)

At the moment, they do not have any requirements about registries and in the case of the Akita which breed...
  • edited November 2013
    Dogs that have already won can be entered again. In fact, to finish a NIPPO-USA Champion it can take three or more wins (at three different shows/years) if the dog does not take Saikosho (best of breed).
    Each class winner will be awarded points as follows: 1st place: 5 pts ~ 2nd place: 4 pts ~ 3rd place: 3 pts ~ 4th place: 2 pts. The points will be cumulative for following years. Upon the accumulation of 15 points, the dog will be titled NIPPO/USA Champion, "Meiyosho" (Honorable).
  • FYI, I am corresponding with the person organizing the Classic (Maggi Straus), about Hokkaido, so if anyone has questions about this breed and entries, I can include that in my correspondence (if you don't mind) so we all stay on the same page without unduly burdening her with lots of emails about Hokkaido. Thanks!
  • Oops, looks like Katana is missing a tooth, the one right behind the lower canine... Just one though. And ask about broken teeth. Katana munched one on a bone he found out in the field... It's the very farthest back upper right molar, you can hardly even tell it's broken unless you're looking directly at it.
    Bleh I have the Hokkaido problem child ><
  • They cannot show is they are awarded a Nippo USA championship. It was my understanding from the organizers that the kai and shikoku were not awarded champion titles even though they were best of breed.
  • There was no Saikosho for the Kai and Shikoku last year. (And the judge did not do Jun Saikosho for the Akita.) So unless the Kai and Shikoku that won happened to already have points from previous shows, then they would not have become a NIPPO/USA Champion.
  • edited November 2013
    I thought last year Akashi (kai) became a champ, or at least that was the impression after the show. Akashi won bob:

"Saikosho: The highest breed award given. An automatic 15-point NIPPO/USA Championship is awarded to the Best of Breed in each Breed at this event provided that there has been competition of 5 or more quality dogs in that breed, unless the judge determines that the Breed winner is outstanding."

• I think due to some of the DQs, those dogs would not be included in the totals for their breeds.
  • I'm going for sure this year! :)
    I'm going to try to convince some fellow Canucks to join too !
  • Hey Beth,
    Regardless of results, I'm sure we all agree we had a blast and it was a success at our first showing :-). I only wish I could've been around when Kishin was being himself as the AKC judge decided to feel if his nuts were real and Brad had many such "moments" in and out of the ring.

@lindsayt - can you give Maggie a heads up that there'll possibly be another NKF group going to the show and get a head start to see what the group can do to contribute towards prizes? She mentioned it in passing last year, but it was during the day of the show and there wasn't much we could do to contribute by that time.

Jesse
  • I plan to go with Kiyoshi :) Plus it'd be fun to see all the other breeds..and more shikoku of course!
  • @crinson02

Sure! This will be cool!!!
  • And yes, neither Kurenai nor Akashi got Saikosho due to having a sufficient number of entrants, but too many of them DQ'ing as a result of tails dropped, missing teeth, etc.

Jesse
  • Oh, and it will be in the Detroit/Chicago area.
    Which? Because, um, that's a HUGE area! *lol* If it was Chicago I'd probably go--maybe even Detroit area, though I'm not a huge Michigan fan (I lived there for awhile).

I probably wouldn't bring Leo though--too hard for me to get there with a dog, and he's neutered and has tongue spots anyway. But I'd love to see all the other dogs and meet people in real life!
  • edited December 2013
    Tongue spots do not DQ a kai- the judge and I spoke about this WRT Matsu during his evalutaion. He said it's "not preferred" but not a DQ and that I should "find him a girlfriend with less spots." :)

To get to Detroit from here might actually be more direct/less hours than Maumee, if I cut through Canada...hmm. Is it difficult bringing a dog into/out of Canada?
  • We traveled with a dog, rats, cockatiel, and lizards (though we didn't tell them about the lizards) into and out of Canada with no problem... but that was pre 9/11. Not sure these days.
  • Not sure about dogs, but crossing the Canadian border does require a passport now.
  • If I read things correctly, I should be able to get in and back out again with a passport and rabies certificates, but should bring my dog food in its original packaging.
  • edited December 2013
    @wrylybrindle

That is correct. When I go to Canada, I bring my passport and dog rabies certificate, and the dog food in cans and food bag package. They always ask if I bought anything, but you do not need to declare anything like dog food or things like that. Fresh fruits, booze, and meat are what they want to know about, and purchases over (I think) over 10,000.
  • edited December 2013
    I would be so tremendously excited if this were in Detroit next year. Chicago... is probably too far for me to be able to justify going (given how expensive Chicago is to visit even briefly), when I don't have a dog and won't be able to get one for a few years yet.

But I can try to be helpful about border crossings!

As far as Canada, all you need is your passport (or an enhanced driver's license, not sure if all states offer those) and the rabies certificate really. In probably at least 10 times going in and out of Canada with a dog (sometimes two dogs, often a cat as well) they never checked the food or even asked about it. Sometimes didn't even ask to see the rabies certificate. Generally I get asked more questions coming back into the US than I do going into Canada.

Crossing at the Detroit/Windsor border can be a bit of a traffic jam, and taking the Bridge or the Tunnel are usually about equal in traffic (sometimes you can tell which one is going to be a bigger issue). You also are crossing through the downtown of Windsor and Detroit, respectively, but I don't think anyone is likely to get lost. You can also cross at Sarnia/Port Huron, but that is quite a bit farther north. But then, if the show is north of Detroit ("Detroit area" can mean many things) Port Huron might be good regardless. Just depends.

@shibamistress Just out of curiosity, what part of Michigan? And what was the problem with it, if you don't mind sharing? Just randomly curious.
  • I might be bringing a Shiba with me when I go!

There is a Shiba breeder who works a pet supply stand at our indoor flea market. We got to talking, remembered that we knew each other, and then started talking about the NIPPO show.

She said that there was someone who would handle her in the show, but the dog needed a ride if she (the owner) couldn't make it out there.

More excited now! \o/ I think it'll be a lot of fun. I regret missing last year. :,(
  • That's good info, @Trzcina! Thank you!
  • Detroit/Chicago might be a bit far, but I am definitely a maybe. ;-)

If there are going to be Hokkaido there, I might just have to make the trip, though!
  • edited December 2013
    Detroit/Chicago is such a huge span of land... is that even a normal description that people use? lol.

I'd really like to go, and I have some good friends in Chicago that I've known since I was a youngling. Although, I don't think Ren would ever place due to the tail/spirit issue. She's too shy for that lol. I'd definitely bring her though :)

@sjp051993 Stacey I know you mentioned that tried to show Ren a few times. Any tips or was she trained for anything? She's slowly getting more confident, so who knows :P
  • She was shown at 4 months of age. She did ok then, but was very nervous. Mainly because she was being handled by someone she did not know. She has a beautiful natural stance so it would be just working on her confidence. Mainly a man in a suit wearing a ball cap staring her down.
  • edited December 2013
    Id like to go but I get transferred to VA in April and Ill be in school til June so it depends on all that. If i do go, i will definitely bring Yucca but ive been training her as a working dog so she has no show etiquette
  • Show etiquette is a relative thing :) this is all - NK so some spirit is expected. My own Matsu is a mountain man, and it kinda shows...