NIPPO Classic 2014

The website has a new url www.nippoclassic.org

There's not much new contentwise at the moment, but there IS a "would you like to be contacted when we have a date/location" form, so I filled that out.

They don't list Hokkaido at the moment, but perhaps if there was a commitment by HANA people in advance to go, they could include them. The organizers seemed really excited about expanding the show and enjoyed seeing the other breeds, so I cant imagine they deliberately try to exclude hokka. I think they just didnt know that there are any.

Comments

• I'd be willing to bring Genko...
  • Not sure if we'd be able to make it next year, maybe I could try to hitch a ride with someone, lol. Kind of hoping that they don't have it in Ohio due to that outbreak of a Parvo like illness, don't need that spreading to other states which something like this show could have the potential of doing.
  • I asked about them including the Hokkaido in my comment. I really doubt I could go, but I'd let someone take Katana for me if I couldn't.
  • edited November 2013
    I emailed them earlier, and got a very quick reply. They would be happy to include the breed this year, and I stated that probably no more than 2 would attend. I would be willing to go to see this (never been). Maggie specifically wants to know however, if our (Hokkaido) standard differs from the NIPPO standard like the NIPPO Kai vs KKA Kai standard. She said that created some issues.
  • Please get him used to mouth being handled for teeth checks, and ball checks ;)
  • @lindsayt Sweet! LOL yeah, I will. He's pretty okay with being handled (as long as you aren't yanking on anything), but likes to nibble and lick if you touch his mouth.
  • edited November 2013
    Cool! Ok, I found the standards and read thru them. There is a height discrepancy similar the KKA and Nippo Kai standards, so the HKH dogs would be slightly smaller, but I still think it's worthwhile to exhibit them. It looks like the 2nd-3rd weekend of May will be the official date.
  • Not only was there a KKA/NIPPO discrepancy but there are/were some intense disagreement regarding which Kai the judge chose this year to "win" ;).

I won't get too much into it but I would guess someone wasn't expecting a considerable amount of competition to show up...

Jesse
  • I'm going to go! I'll probably bring Nami (Kishu) with me, if anyone. TK might be too much in a crowd--even if it's NK people, if the New England meetup taught me anything. He wasn't awful and didn't seem to hate his life, but he didn't seem to enjoy it, either.

His teeth are also broken and his balls were taken away :p so it's not like I can show him.
  • Oh, and it will be in the Detroit/Chicago area.
  • edited November 2013
    Heh yeah, I could definitely not go. Detroit is basically where my Mom lives, but that's a long drive for me, and I don't get many (any?) weekdays off work. Especially in spring/summer when we are super busy on the farm.
    So, you will get to show a Hokkaido Lindsay!
  • Are KKA Kai allowed at NIPPO?
  • edited November 2013
    KKA Kai can show at NIPPO Classic. We had several last time!

The only Kai issue I am aware of was the tongue spots, but Matsu didnt compete against anyone, so it didnt hurt him. Was there some other issue in the KKA vs Nippo standards that came up?
  • Teeth count.
  • Tain, want to carpool???
  • I was thinking the same thing Lindsay.. :P What could be more fun than a weekend full of adolescent NK?
  • That's funny. There were no issues with the Kai that won. There was more an issue of the judge with holding everything from the Kai and Shikoku. All the Kai and Shikoku exhibitors were very happy about the numbers that showed up.
  • Holding everything? I had to duck out early cause we woke at 4:30 am to get there. Can you elaborate please?
  • "With holding" as in withholding placements
  • I might go. It depends. Dog shows kind of intimidate me (as far as actually showing my own dog). And it is pretty far away...
  • I know with most of the Shikoku, they didn't have their tails up thus now showing the spirit the judge was looking for. The Judge was still lenient about it in that if the dog's tail was up during at least one of the times in the ring, he would accept it. But I don't think that was the case with most of the Shikoku, thus many weren't able to place.
  • "Hi Lindsay,
    SInce we say we use Nippo standard, some of our Kai participants have been dissappointed when their exhibits are not placed. Judges say they are making 'allowances' for the differences, but we are hoping to be able to have something in the premium, which outlines the 'allowances' for breeds with both Nippo and other (japanese) registries.

SInce Hokkaido are such a small number, we would like to have a first experience work out for everyone."

From the Classic rep/host. Encouraging!
  • Maybe I'll just bring Genko (Hokkaido) this year and no Kai. Or maybe I'll bring Nori (Kai) if she isn't in heat or with a litter - better count her teeth first tho!

As @ayk mentioned, the teeth counting thing was a problem for us with Ayu, but I was correct by Shigeru. I thought they didn't count teeth in the KKA shows, but they do. They're just not as strict as NIPPO.

I could bring Kishin again too... So we can make a spectacle again. lol
  • What about Akashi?
  • Is the number of teeth a big thing? Because I think Meitou might be missing a little one behind one canine. lol, maybe I shouldn't worry about taking him?
  • Akashi already won, so I don't think he can compete. He could show For Exhibition, I think.

I dont think Jeff is up for another dog show, so I will be looking to share driving/fuel with someone Northeasterly...I'd like to show Matsu again in the Big Boy class - Waka Inu 2, I think he'll be by then. He'll have to practice keeping that tail up, though!
  • edited November 2013
    @rafatturi Want to bring Akuma?
  • Oh, yea, good call @lindsay ... Bring Akuma @ryanfatturi !!!

I can't say I blame him, but it'd be a shame if Jeff didn't go @WrylyBrindle
  • I could take Akashi just for the hell of it... But, he won last time so I dunno if I can/would enter him again.